• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Combs-Getting my M1 back

M1fan1942

Since the rifle was not in his possession for X amount of time, I would damn sure want papers saying that I received it back on X date at X time.

I agree with you. Which is one of the reasons I will be bringing a video recorder. I also will be bringing up why I was arrested and the guy popping off rounds at South Bar in down town wasn't arrested. :confused: Maybe they should spend less time arresting law abiding people and arrest actual criminals.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I agree with you. Which is one of the reasons I will be bringing a video recorder. I also will be bringing up why I was arrested and the guy popping off rounds at South Bar in down town wasn't arrested. :confused: Maybe they should spend less time arresting law abiding people and arrest actual criminals.

I would not waste your time asking these twits anything. They have more than demonstrated that they care nothing about the law and even less about you. What kind of real cop locks up a kid for something they know is legal? The oath states ... "to uphold the Laws of the United States, and the State of Michigan......" the officers who did this to you need only to look in the mirror to find criminals! :mad:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Yeah I'm going to call tomorrow to try and get an evening "appointment" because I think it's crap I have to set an appointment. ]

I understand your emotion that you think they are jerking you around ... but it looks like that's when the cop gets there in the morning to open up shop. I have to set up appointments to get FOIA documents from cops too ... they jerk people around, sure ... but so do other people.

I would go and get your gun at the earliest time period...at 8am, sounds actually pretty good you should be in and out quickly.

Just my thoughts ... have someone come in with a video camera / camera. I would not tape inside unless you see damage to your rifle (in that case I tape and take pics) ... until you are outside the bldg.

Right/wrong? Who cares -- you know they don't care about right and wrong already. You've done enough. Ignore their treatment and collect your gun ~ be nice and bring them a box of donuts (lol).

Last edited:

DanM

davidmcbeth said:
Just my thoughts ... have someone come in with a video camera / camera. I would not tape inside unless you see damage to your rifle (in that case I tape and take pics) ... until you are outside the bldg.

No, you would want to run continuous video from at least prior to the city handing the rifle to you until the end of your inspection of the rifle.

If you ran video/pics after you were handed the weapon, to document damage, then it's easier for the city to refute by saying, "Well, that happened at some point after we gave it to him, and he just came back in the building and took video and pics of it."

You want to video the person handing it to you, and preferably verbally ID them in some way, then swing the video to the rifle as you inspect it. That kind of continuity is very hard to refute.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

I think it would be very interesting to be a fly on the wall at BPD and listen to their reactions to what is posted in this thread... because I strongly suspect there are a few officers huddled around the desk watching the 'puter monitor screen... perhaps making macho remarks...

But then, that is just the hilarious thing that a fly on the wall.... "might" see.

Oh... HI! BPD! :D

Super Trucker

No, you would want to run continuous video from at least prior to the city handing the rifle to you until the end of your inspection of the rifle.

If you ran video/pics after you were handed the weapon, to document damage, then it's easier for the city to refute by saying, "Well, that happened at some point after we gave it to him, and he just came back in the building and took video and pics of it."

You want to video the person handing it to you, and preferably verbally ID them in some way, then swing the video to the rifle as you inspect it. That kind of continuity is very hard to refute.

I agree with you but have to ask, are you allowed to record in all areas the police station? I am guessing that the transfer will not be in the lobby, but rather in the "secured areas" of the station.

B

Bikenut

I agree with you but have to ask, are you allowed to record in all areas the police station? I am guessing that the transfer will not be in the lobby, but rather in the "secured areas" of the station.
I wonder if there could be a TV news reporter/film crew that might be interested in covering the return of the rifle that caused such a stir....

Wishful thinking?

Michigander

Yes, you are. In a strange coincidence, I had this conversation with a Ferndale cop some time ago. Many, if not most PD's are heavily wired up. The applicable laws in a PD are the same as anywhere else. They're not prohibited from recording whether visibly or covertly, and neither are you, provided you aren't eavesdropping.

Last edited:

budlight

Yes, you are. In a strange coincidence, I had this conversation with a Ferndale cop some time ago. Many, if not most PD's are heavily wired up. The applicable laws in a PD are the same as anywhere else. They're not prohibited from recording whether visibly or covertly, and neither are you, provided you aren't eavesdropping.

I would be recording prior to, while in, and after exiting the PD. I would comment further but it might be turned into a racist post.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran

budlight

I made a special thread just for you to sort those issues out, and you didn't even post in it. Please stop trolling me.

Perhaps the form you created should have included a written apology for the unwarranted and totally untrue comment that started this.

The form you created seemed to only further insult me by its title.

Last edited:

Michigander

Would both of you drop it please!

I have been wanting to, and thought it had been.

Perhaps the form you created should have included a written apology for the unwarranted and totally untrue comment that started this.

In hindsight, I am not sorry about what I said in the slightest due to the importance of the issue, though I am sorry that you took it the wrong way because it didn't really even involve you, and I'm sorry you continue to feel that I'm insulting you, because that was never, ever the intention.

I would yet again point out that I'd be happy to meet you in person, and discuss the situation. Heck, I'll buy you lunch, I don't care! I do not, however, wish to continue polluting threads with this issue.

Last edited:

budlight

in hindsight, i am not sorry about what i said in the slightest due to the importance of the issue, though i am sorry that you took it the wrong way because it didn't really even involve you, and i'm sorry you continue to feel that i'm insulting you, because that was never, ever the intention.

wow!

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion

Be very careful about allowing them to return your firearm in ANY secure area of a jail or police station--- there may be laws against YOUR possession on or in those locations that they may be very happy to charge you with violating!

Super Trucker

doesn't matter, the michigan supreme court held that public officials in the performance of their duties have no expectation of privacy, even if you are secretly recording them:
http://michiganmessenger.com/47523/michigan-high-court-rules-for-dr-dre

Good to know, thanks. I would hate too see him get jammed up.