• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Combs-Getting my M1 back

Small_Arms_Collector

the ar in the danM pic is muzzle up and was carried that way the entire evening. he didn't have it for the newspaper pic, i think he got it after that.

Your correct on both.

I got it just after the reporter took her picture.

I did muzzle up because with that sling the rifle won't balance right muzzle down, and tends to hang at an awkward, and uncomfortable angle angle, and continually slide off my shoulder.

The chamber is cold.

stainless1911

Banned
My M1A is the same way, it doesnt carry well muzzle down. Besides, some people are re thinking the muzzle down method. Personally, I prefer muzzle up, if you were to fall, or inadvertently plunk the muzzle in the mud or dirt and it became plugged, the result could be very dangerous if the weapon was fired.

M1fan1942

I jumped in the comments on patch as well. Why not. I carried muzzle down this time but i have to say it was not fun. muzzle up is easier on my back and shoulder. Why? No idea.

I was thinking about OC the Garand in Bham by myself sometime. Good idea, bad idea? Thoughts please.

Lord Sega

Added my 2 cents to the Patch as well

Some of the comments... wow.
Threw in a few of my own, and bookmarked it to follow up as necessary.

Congratz on getting your property back and having a mini-group get-together.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I jumped in the comments on patch as well. Why not. I carried muzzle down this time but i have to say it was not fun. muzzle up is easier on my back and shoulder. Why? No idea.

I was thinking about OC the Garand in Bham by myself sometime. Good idea, bad idea? Thoughts please.

well, i think you've paved the way for yourself, so you should be fine. it's not like they can say they don't know how old you are now.

TheQ

Let's get you a handgun. I have a Glock 27 (Gen 3) I'd be willing to sell YOU on the cheap (let's say $250). Anyone else got a handgun they are willing to part with at a more than reasonable price for this champion of Liberty?

Michigander

I don't think anyone will tell you not to, but I would agree with theq that it's time you get a pistol.

Do keep in mind too that long gun OC is technically off topic and against the rules to post about, and with your debacle now behind you, including a follow up incident free event carrying your rifle through Birmingham, I wouldn't think that the forum administrator John Pierce's generous allowance of discussing your situation with long gun carry would apply anymore. And hence, it would seem to be a breach of the forum rules to contemplate future long gun activities via forum posting. Not that I agree with that rule, but it is a rule on this forum.

Gort

Let's get you a handgun. I have a Glock 27 (Gen 3) I'd be willing to sell YOU on the cheap (let's say $250). Anyone else got a handgun they are willing to part with at a more than reasonable price for this champion of Liberty?

The Glock 27 at $250 is a generous offer.
I don't have extra gun, but I would donate $ to this I know others will too.

HKcarrier

You said on Let it Rip that you only wanted to do it once... you did, now don't put it in their face too much. Not saying you can't change your mind or to never do it, but I think you may want to save it for parades and such. Just my opinion.

My M1A is the same way, it doesnt carry well muzzle down. Besides, some people are re thinking the muzzle down method. Personally, I prefer muzzle up, if you were to fall, or inadvertently plunk the muzzle in the mud or dirt and it became plugged, the result could be very dangerous if the weapon was fired.

If you fall and and are too stupid to check the muzzle and the bore with a flash light than you're not smart enough to be carrying at all. Besides, woods carry (where one might experience mud and whatnot) is generally where one would carry muzzle up. One would carry muzzle down in urban areas.

Who are the people re-thinking muzzle down besides you and lil_freak?

Agreed... you need a hand gun.

$250 for that pistol is VERY generous by Q... you should jump on that if you can. Additionally, I may have a revolver I could part with for reasonable.

As noted, the LGOC talk isn't really supposed to be a topic on this forum.. and the ADMIN has been MORE than reasonable about it. Let's not push our luck.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
A pistol for Sean is a great idea & the Q's offer to You only Sean of his Glock27 (compact 40 cal.) Is going to be etremely difficult for you to find a better deal from a private seller, short of someone giving you one for free. You should think it over quickly.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Last edited:

TheQ

Did I mention it'll come with 3 mags and a pocket holster (granted...of limited use until you get a CPL)?

stainless1911

Banned
You said on Let it Rip that you only wanted to do it once... you did, now don't put it in their face too much. Not saying you can't change your mind or to never do it, but I think you may want to save it for parades and such. Just my opinion.

Whose side are you on? Seriously, sometimes i really can't tell.

If you fall and and are too stupid to check the muzzle and the bore with a flash light than you're not smart enough to be carrying at all. Besides, woods carry (where one might experience mud and whatnot) is generally where one would carry muzzle up. One would carry muzzle down in urban areas.

Its more likely to happen to you than me at this point.

Who are the people re-thinking muzzle down besides you and lil_freak?

I learned about it first in hunters safety.

Agreed... you need a hand gun.

$250 for that pistol is VERY generous by Q... you should jump on that if you can. Additionally, I may have a revolver I could part with for reasonable.

As noted, the LGOC talk isn't really supposed to be a topic on this forum.. and the ADMIN has been MORE than reasonable about it. Let's not push our luck.

Sean, don't pass up the opportunity on this Glock.

HKcarrier

Whose side are you on? Seriously, sometimes i really can't tell.

Why would you question my motives? You know what my thoughts are and what my standing is. I was pointing out that out of Mr. Combs mouth came "I only intended to LGOC once". I think if he wants to maintain his credibility then he should follow what came out of his mouth. My suggestions were not born out of dislike of LGOC as I think it's a perfectly legitimate form of carry, even though most will be freaked....

Its more likely to happen to you than me at this point.

BZZZZZZ wrongo. You LGOC, I don't. Guess that makes it a bit more likely for YOU to have problems huh? If I did, I would follow what I have said. Urban = down. Woods = up.

Just for clarification since you seem to be getting uppity here, I wasn't specifically referring to YOU in my last post. Obviously you would check the bore for obstructions. You as in joe idiot.. if not smart enough to check, then shouldn't carry...

I learned about it first in hunters safety.
So you're talking about the class you likely took 20 years ago and that's "people are starting to change the way they think"?

That would be HUNTERS... as in WOODED carry... dude... seriously? What you learned in hunter's safety... even if it was this year, has ZERO application to what we were talking about.

Sean, don't pass up the opportunity on this Glock.

This

Last edited: