• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Parking ticket waives my 2nd amendment rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
It sounds like a private sale is his way to go. He then should work on his debt to Detroit. Funny all their officials should be banned from owning firearms until they can pass their own "responsiblity" test and pay their debts off....

Wouldn't a private sale still require a purchase permit?

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
It sounds like a private sale is his way to go. He then should work on his debt to Detroit. Funny all their officials should be banned from owning firearms until they can pass their own "responsiblity" test and pay their debts off....

Even with a private sale, he's still going to need to get a purchasing permit.

Wouldn't a private sale still require a purchase permit?

Thats what I said.

Synchronized posting! New Olympic event

Get2DahChopper

True. Been along time since I had to go hat in hand to the cop shop and beg for a yellow permission slip. Do not miss those days at all. To bad the ACLU or other org. Will not step in and stop detroit from doing this.

DetroitBiker

Hey everybody, I'm new here. Been looking into buying my first pistol here in Detroit, and according to the cities website...

Purchase Permit (no cost, valid for 10 days)

1. Must have valid Drivers. License or Michigan ID Card
2. Must reside in Detroit
3. Must not have any fines or debts to the City, County, State, or Federal Governments
4. Can not have any parking tickets
5. Can not have any cases in court (civil, misdemeanor or felony cases)

Yes I do have one outstanding parking ticket, as well as owing a couple hundred dollars in back taxes to the city. Seems a little extreme to deny me a basic right because of that though.

Anyone else had this problem? Any insight would be much appreciated.

I would go down and apply for the permit anyways, Just because the fine requirements are listed on the website doesn't mean they will actually enforce them
In my dealings with any Detroit PD or city workers,I have found them to be extremely Lazy and not be very hip to the actual laws.
worst case scenario is the say no.
let us know how it worked out.. Good luck

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would go down and apply for the permit anyways, Just because the fine requirements are listed on the website doesn't mean they will actually enforce them
In my dealings with any Detroit PD or city workers,I have found them to be extremely Lazy and not be very hip to the actual laws.
worst case scenario is the say no.
let us know how it worked out.. Good luck

Also does not mean that you cannot object to any queries .. if they ask about parking tickets, just state "not relevant" or "objection" .. do it properly if you wish to go this route. I think you would have a great shot in winning .. they cannot hold a right hostage.

griffin

You don't need a permit or anything to purchase a gun...that's what gun shows are for.

Obviously the Earth's Crust is not part of Michigan.

You need a PP or CPL to legally purchase a pistol in MI, regardless if it is from a private individual or FFL. You need a PP or CPL to purchase a decent pellet gun in MI because rifled pellet pistols are considered firearms. :banghead:

griffin

It sounds like a private sale is his way to go.
Private sale=no go.
Funny all their officials should be banned from owning firearms until they can pass their own "responsiblity" test and pay their debts off....
Not true. If you have a CPL then you can owe ten million dollars in back taxes and parking tickets. Easy solution = get CPL like everyone else. If you can't get a CPL (age, legal restrictions, finances) you are screwed.

Why is this so hard to understand, people?

a) the guy owes money that he has to pay, one way or the other. Why not pay now?
b) okay, you want to make a case out of it. Try and get a PP. You may get through.
c) if not, you will waste money on an attorney because even if you win, and you probably will, the money you spend is extra to what you STILL will have to pay for your taxes and tickets, so overall you are out MORE MONEY. How is this a win for you personally?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Rubbish law ... what else can you not buy until you pay off parking tickets? Nothing. You don't need a permit or anything to purchase a gun...that's what gun shows are for.
In Michigan, whether you are buying a pistol from an FFL dealer in his store, or at a gun show, or from a private party, gun show or not, you have to have either a permit to purchase, or a CPL along with a form RI-60, as all legally purchased handguns have to be registered in Michigan. Unfortunately.

Drastikmeazures

hb5225 passes and this problem goes away.

This is what I've been thinking as well, I did write my local senator asking him to support this legislation.

I know it's a touchy subject on here because of the Federal Gun Free School Zone that would be enacted?

But maybe we can win back our rights a little at a time starting here, and maybe I'm misguided in that thinking. Still very new to most of this, but I do know one thing...

I grew up knowing I had the right to keep and bear arms, and now I see that's not REALLY the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.