• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Parking ticket waives my 2nd amendment rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainless1911

Banned
This is what I've been thinking as well, I did write my local senator asking him to support this legislation.

I know it's a touchy subject on here because of the Federal Gun Free School Zone that would be enacted?

But maybe we can win back our rights a little at a time starting here, and maybe I'm misguided in that thinking. Still very new to most of this, but I do know one thing...

I grew up knowing I had the right to keep and bear arms, and now I see that's not REALLY the case.

QFT. = Quoted For Truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidmcbeth

Banned
So you follow laws that you think are unconstitutional? Hoot Hoot Don't Pollute ! If you think laws against killing are unconstitutional you can ignore them (you have the natural right to make such choices - Jesus gave us the right to choose) -- you know what will happen. And its an insane statement - I spoke specifically about 1 set of laws - not murder - not assault - not battery - nothing violent.

There are two ways in the court system to attack unconstitutional laws: 1) break 'em and go to court or 2) take 'em to court before you break 'em. #2 is not always available.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheQ

In old Europe, prior to 1700 BC, there was a class of people that "blessed" the government and gave it it's divine power to rule. These people were the priest, Cardinals and others of their religious orders. They often wore robes and other similar garments.Without the consent of this body, it was difficult for the king to rule.

Under our modern "democratic republic" these roles have not gone away, rather they have been replaced by a group of people that call themselves something else. Would anybody care to guess what they are called these days?

detroit_fan

+1
And to think there are some here that are actively trying to keep the registration in place.

YEP! it's a shame all the 2A groups in MI are not supporting it, i think it will be remembered as the biggest missed opportunity in MI for a long time. Hopefully people speak with their membership/dues, and refuse to support the people/groups who refused to support HB5225 to end this draconian policy

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
When I say something like that, I get reported.
Sometimes, it gets "fixed" before it's reported. :)

Unconstitutional or not, as long as the law is on the books, it's a law. If you don't like it, work on getting it repealed. We should exhaust all legal means before resorting to revolution.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sometimes, it gets "fixed" before it's reported. :)

Unconstitutional or not, as long as the law is on the books, it's a law. If you don't like it, work on getting it repealed. We should exhaust all legal means before resorting to revolution.

Disobeying a law IS a legal means...it starts a legal process. Hardly revolution. Rosa Parks ring a bell? And I work on getting laws changed too ;)

In respect to carry laws, I am in the mist of arguing a law is unconstitutional and am having some success....and I did not do that through my state commie legislature. So one can effectively repeal a law through more than dealing with legislatures. Happens every day.

Keep the Faith!

Brutus

Well you now have $200 to pay of some of your debt.

+1 what Venator said.
You owe the money, man up and pay your debts to others before you spend money on yourself. If you want to exercise the rights of citizenship you should also exercise the responsibilities of it.

davidmcbeth

Banned
+1 what Venator said.
You owe the money, man up and pay your debts to others before you spend money on yourself. If you want to exercise the rights of citizenship you should also exercise the responsibilities of it.

And you already owned a gun legally and get a parking ticket, then they can come and take your gun away? Humm..not so sure anymore eh?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
The only requirements are listed in MCL 28.422... I don't see "tax bills are payed" listed. I can't believe so many are willing to allow DPD to further limit the issuance of the permit. Do the whims of the DPD trump the law?

An applicant is qualified if all of the following circumstances exist:

(a) The person is not subject to an order or disposition for which he or she has received notice and an opportunity for a hearing, and which was entered into the law enforcement information network pursuant to any of the following:

(i) Section 464a of the mental health code, 1974 PA 258, MCL 330.1464a.

(ii) Section 5107 of the estates and protected individuals code, 1998 PA 386, MCL 700.5107, or section 444a of former 1978 PA 642.

(iii) Section 2950 of the revised judicature act of 1961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.2950.

(iv) Section 2950a of the revised judicature act of 1961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.2950a.

(v) Section 14 of 1846 RS 84, MCL 552.14.

(vi) Section 6b of chapter V of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 765.6b, if the order has a condition imposed under section 6b(3) of chapter V of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 765.6b.

(vii) Section 16b of chapter IX of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 769.16b.

(b) The person is 18 years of age or older or, if the seller is licensed under 18 USC 923, is 21 years of age or older.

(c) The person is a citizen of the United States and is a legal resident of this state. For the purposes of this section, a person shall be considered a legal resident of this state if any of the following apply:

(i) The person has a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver license issued under the Michigan vehicle code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.1 to 257.923, or an official state personal identification card issued under 1972 PA 222, MCL 28.291 to 28.300.

(ii) The person is lawfully registered to vote in this state.

(iii) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is stationed outside of this state, but the person's home of record is in this state.

(iv) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is permanently stationed in this state, but the person's home of record is in another state.

(d) A felony charge or a criminal charge listed in section 5b against the person is not pending at the time of application.

(e) The person is not prohibited from possessing, using, transporting, selling, purchasing, carrying, shipping, receiving, or distributing a firearm under section 224f of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.224f.

(f) The person has not been adjudged insane in this state or elsewhere unless he or she has been adjudged restored to sanity by court order.

(g) The person is not under an order of involuntary commitment in an inpatient or outpatient setting due to mental illness.

(h) The person has not been adjudged legally incapacitated in this state or elsewhere. This subdivision does not apply to a person who has had his or her legal capacity restored by order of the court.

(i) The person correctly answers 70% or more of the questions on a basic pistol safety review questionnaire approved by the department of state police and provided to the individual free of charge by the licensing authority. If the person fails to correctly answer 70% or more of the questions on the basic pistol safety review questionnaire, the licensing authority shall inform the person of the questions he or she answered incorrectly and allow the person to attempt to complete another basic pistol safety review questionnaire. The person shall not be allowed to attempt to complete more than 2 basic pistol safety review questionnaires on any single day. The licensing authority shall allow the person to attempt to complete the questionnaire during normal business hours on the day the person applies for his or her license.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Disobeying a law IS a legal means...it starts a legal process. Hardly revolution. Rosa Parks ring a bell? And I work on getting laws changed too ;)

In respect to carry laws, I am in the mist of arguing a law is unconstitutional and am having some success....and I did not do that through my state commie legislature. So one can effectively repeal a law through more than dealing with legislatures. Happens every day.

Keep the Faith!
Disobeying a law isn't legal until the law is over turned. It's never a smart idea to encourage illegal acts in public forums, specially since we KNOW the police as well as anti-Freedom types like to read what we type to see if they can use any of it against us.

And Rosa Parks got arrested too. Unless you have deep pockets, or a large organization with it's own lawyers to back you up, I don't recommend breaking the law to change it.

And in case you haven't noticed, we have managed to change the law through the legislature. We got Shall issue, we no longer have to take handguns in to be "safety inspected." Thanks to our AGs, we have the most widely accepted CPL of all the states. Given time, we'll get other concessions too.

Do I wish things were different? Hell yeah. But, the reversals we suffered to our rights took years to happen. They will take years to eliminate. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't afford the sort of lawyer it would take to successfully fight some of the current laws. Maybe, if I win the lottery some day. Until then, I follow the law and protest the part that's illegal until it is changed.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Disobeying a law isn't legal until the law is over turned. It's never a smart idea to encourage illegal acts in public forums, specially since we KNOW the police as well as anti-Freedom types like to read what we type to see if they can use any of it against us.

And Rosa Parks got arrested too. Unless you have deep pockets, or a large organization with it's own lawyers to back you up, I don't recommend breaking the law to change it.

And in case you haven't noticed, we have managed to change the law through the legislature. We got Shall issue, we no longer have to take handguns in to be "safety inspected." Thanks to our AGs, we have the most widely accepted CPL of all the states. Given time, we'll get other concessions too.

Do I wish things were different? Hell yeah. But, the reversals we suffered to our rights took years to happen. They will take years to eliminate. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't afford the sort of lawyer it would take to successfully fight some of the current laws. Maybe, if I win the lottery some day. Until then, I follow the law and protest the part that's illegal until it is changed.

Well...no matter whether people believe that there may be a time and place for "civil disobediance" regarding any law or not, we have all agreed to follow the rules when we signed up here.

(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

Status
Not open for further replies.