• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You guys have to stop open carying your rifles in places of business.

Glock 1st fan

Remember, he is concerned that your acts in TX will adversely affect his rights in NC, NM, WA, CO, and IA.

I am skeptical of this, but it is a view he holds close.

Well all through history things have changed because people stood up and took risk. I dont personally believe in carrying a tactical rifle in public but I fully support the right to do so.

Texans have the same right to live as we do and if they have to use extreme measures to demand change so be it. 20 years ago most anywhere in the united states people were sitting ducks and unable to barely carry a firearm outside of the home for any reason.

Because people are fighting for the right to carry and because they are going for broke we are gaining ground and the momentum is strong. I dont believe we should turn on each other but instead continue to fight for our right to carry and find a common ground. If you dont support open carry rifles in Texas then get your pen out and write the Texas law makers demanding the right to open carry Pistols.

Unless I know I am going into a gun fight on duty carrying a rifle or shotgun is heavy and cumbersom compared to a pistol and I assure you most Texans feel the same. Most would carry a pistol in a heart beat over a rifle.

So lets show Texas some love and fight for their right to OC handguns.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
WOW that took a while!

First lt me state that I believe this to be a fantastic thread, though I expected a train wreck, exclusive of pages 14-17 this has been a pretty damn good read. Within the debates of the thread I believe a few things have gotten lost. Because I am old and lost track, I am going to post a few thoughts by number and those whom disagree may reference at will.

1. To the OP, sir your thoughts seem very misguided to me and that renders your effort aimed at the wrong target. A few national chains have exercised THEIR right to govern YOU based upon the LEGAL behavior of others and instead of outrage directed at the national chain, you have opted to condemn the actions of the citizens conducting themselves legally. I am not sure which is more offensive, the chain or your misguided redirection. I actually understand your position, I have done it myself, the only difference I can offer is when I did it, the person involved had been specifically asked not to intentionally provoke an incident in a known opposing area while legislation was in committee. They agreed and then posted that they were going to the area purposefully to trigger a confrontation and posted a video of it across multiple locations sending it high profile and the response was a political shut down. I condemned it and still do, not for the legal actions but for not honoring the agreement and intentional nature.

2. I commend the long gun oc'ers for their actions, I believe they have done us an OUTSTANDING job of bringing a national focus to what is wrong with the RTKBA movements of today. While I am not a fan of LGOC (over penetration, adequate backstops, totally inconvenient for me etc) I will refrain from imposing my beliefs on to those choosing it. If they ask me I will give my reasons for other options but at the same time I will condemn any effort to take their choice from them. Seems in TX that happened a while back and now a whole lot of other folks are looking to impose their will upon them even more so than the current idiotic laws and a lot of them are trying to wave a freedom flag while doing so. I am glad to see I am not the only person noting just how screwed up that actually is, really glad.

3. Just because a few leading organizations and some self proclaimed advocates of rights are spewing their own propaganda doesn't make it accurate. It however does tend to fit within their agenda's and they are indeed trying to maximize the publicity they have been unable to garner on their own. Freedom is not free and anyone not granting it won't be likely fighting for it now will they?

4. Number 3 includes the NRA. I can't speak to TX however, it was stated within this thread that they have interfered with OC efforts in MO. Let me confirm that and be a bit more specific, whitney odaniel (lower case out of disrespect, mispeeeled possibly by mistake) the NRA rep for MO absolutely and intentionally KILLED OC legislation in the state of MO and I know it because he walked out of the hearing I was at testifying and told at least 4 of us as well as the sponsoring legislator he was going to do it and when we objected he walked back in and had his legislator do it in front of us.

5. So if you are here to condemn the LGOC folks because now you can't OC a pistol into a few nnational chains anymore, you are in prison. Step out of your cell and quit condemning those walking free and start condemning those imposing additional layers of governing upon you. While under no circumstances do I want Sonic or any other business to be restricted in conducting themselves as they see fit, that does not mean I do not find it offensive!

If you can't allow something you find offensive then your not free because someone thinks something you do is offensive and that will never change.

Moms demanding attention find all of us offensive and by exploiting legal behavior they have identified the fissure in the RTKBA armor, those within the RTKBA have spread it to a crack on their own and if they do not cut it out they will split it and do the anti's bidding.

Thast the rumble of the grumble.

stealthyeliminator

^^ Wow, [strike]must[/strike]much respect for taking the time to read the whole thread.

Also great post.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
^^ Wow, [strike]must[/strike]much respect for taking the time to read the whole thread.

Also great post.

Well I was looking for a decent discussion on the topic. I don't wander out of the MO forum much around here and wastebook is worse than usenet ever was for a decent discussion.

Thanks for the kind words, I just thought I would throw my own two pennies into the pond.

All of our views evolve over our experiences and mine have here on OCDO over the years as well. Perhaps the post will help some newbie develop a new and improved position on freedom, or not, their choice :)

RU serious

My way or the highway seems to be clarion call of the CC Industrial Complex. Selfish, myopic, unreasonable.

It is unfortunate that many Texans support the call to not OC.....that way, instead of unifying and supporting OC.

Funny, that sums up my observation of the majority of posts I've read here. OC every where, no matter what, or GTFO. Not open to different opinions and yes, I'm aware of the site's name. What is most annoying is it's mostly non-Texans telling us how things should be. :mad:

Yup, 1st post. No LEO, no firearms instructor, not a historian, not great with words, and I sure as hell ain't no Gecko45 [:rolleyes:] but I do like my toys. However, if I'm on private property (store, eatery, etc.) and someone walks in with a long gun strapped on, I am making an exit as quickly and discreetly as possible. I don't know you or your intent. Understand my comments are from a Texan's perspective only. I would not make the exit in an OC state w/o sensing a threat.

I wish OC was legal in Texas but frankly if it was, I doubt I'd join in. Except for limited situations (at a BBQ), I don't feel the need to advertise. I fully expect to be bashed for my comments so understand this, I don't anticipate spending a lot of time here, but I'm not hiding either.

BTW: not a personal attack OC for ME. After about an hour of generally scanning the site, I simply bounced around a current thread and happened on your post. Cool?

Also, I looked for an Introductions section but didn't see one, sorry if I missed it.

EDIT: Before signing on, I actually read the rules and noticed #14 reads in part "We do NOT promote the carry of long guns."

Last edited:

Jack House

Funny, that sums up my observation of the majority of posts I've read here. OC every where, no matter what, or GTFO. Not open to different opinions and yes, I'm aware of the site's name. What is most annoying is it's mostly non-Texans telling us how things should be. :mad:
Other than, ya know, a 25 page long thread of people bickering back and forth about the issue. Yeah, we really don't tolerate no different opinions here. :rolleyes:

Yup, 1st post. No LEO, no firearms instructor, not a historian, not great with words, and I sure as hell ain't no Gecko45 [:rolleyes:] but I do like my toys. However, if I'm on private property (store, eatery, etc.) and someone walks in with a long gun strapped on, I am making an exit as quickly and discreetly as possible.
COOL STORY BRAH.
Bd5orGx.jpg

Understand my comments are from a Texan's perspective only. I would not make the exit in an OC state w/o sensing a threat.
Texas is an LGOC state, so my question to you is:

nNkTPiz.gif

I wish OC was legal in Texas but frankly if it was, I doubt I'd join in. Except for limited situations (at a BBQ), I don't feel the need to advertise.
Oh look guys, we have a dissenter, better grab your pitch forks and torches! Oh wait, that's Reddit.

iRM1sDM.png

Also, I looked for an Introductions section but didn't see one, sorry if I missed it.
We do need one of those.

EDIT: Before signing on, I actually read the rules and noticed #14 reads in part "We do NOT promote the carry of long guns."
That's nice.

RU serious

Other than, ya know, a 25 page long thread of people bickering back and forth about the issue. Yeah, we really don't tolerate no different opinions here. :rolleyes:
BTW: not a personal attack OC for ME. After about an hour of generally scanning the site, I simply bounced around a current thread and happened on your post. Cool?
I saw that coming JH. Maybe it went over your head.

Jack House

Yeah, F! THIS sites rules, amirite?
You would think that if talking about Texas LGOC was against the rules, it would have been shut down long ago, rather than be allowed to run for hundreds/thousands of posts on the matter. :uhoh:

Alright, look. I'll take it easy on you just this once since you are new here. LGOC discussion is only prohibited when it's in regards to states that have handgun OC available to them. Since in Texas LGOC is the only OC, we are permitted to discuss LGOC.

I saw that coming JH. Maybe it went over your head.
It's complicated Jack. Began with opencarry.org's rules which you've shown you have no interest in so I wont continue.
Funny how you're getting all personal after complaining about just that.

Don't worry, I'm not going to get personal with you and:

g5ZHZSD.jpg

RU serious

You would think that if talking about Texas LGOC was against the rules, it would have been shut down long ago, rather than be allowed to run for hundreds/thousands of posts on the matter. :uhoh:
Yep

Alright, look. I'll take it easy on you just this once since you are new here.
Ohhhh thank you, thank you thank you! LoL

LGOC discussion is only prohibited when it's in regards to states that have handgun OC available to them. Since in Texas LGOC is the only OC, we are permitted to discuss LGOC.
Rut roh. Newb here and didn't know that. My bad :uhoh:

Funny how you're getting all personal after complaining about just that.

Don't worry, I'm not going to get personal with you and:

g5ZHZSD.jpg
Nah, not personal at all. Just a matter of communication, especially to a newb.

Yah luv me? LMAO!

Thanks for straightening some things out. :cool:

RU serious

My bottom line remains, I want OC in Texas. Hell, I want the Constitution enforced in Texas and the other 49 too, but that's another matter.

I simply don't feel like (particularly in non-OC states), it should be shoved down the throats of those who are afraid of guns and jammed up the posteriors of the people in public. FORCING the issue will not help us. Does that make sense?

None of what I mentioned is related to dealing with politicians, capische?

B

Bikenut

My bottom line remains, I want OC in Texas. Hell, I want the Constitution enforced in Texas and the other 49 too, but that's another matter.

I simply don't feel like (particularly in non-OC states), it should be shoved down the throats of those who are afraid of guns and jammed up the posteriors of the people in public. FORCING the issue will not help us. Does that make sense?

It would appear you think the best way to protect the right to bear arms is to hide the bearing of arms so no one gets offended and takes away the right to bear arms. Is that a correct assessment?

Oddly enough... if you allow the fear of offending someone to stop you from bearing arms then there is no need for others to take away the bearing of arms since you already voluntarily gave up your right to bear arms because you were afraid someone might be offended. There was no need to pass any laws since you allowed your own fear of ... offending someone.... to take away your right of bearing arms. No one took it away.... you gave it away out of fear.

And please understand that concealed carry permits (or open carry permits) have nothing at all to do with the right to bear arms but are the very infringement of government being in control of decreeing who will be allowed (and who will NOT be allowed!) the privilege to exercise the right to bear arms that "shall not be infringed" was meant to prevent.

Oh... and when a newbie enters a conversation with an adversarial attitude it should be no surprise when that attitude is immediately returned 10 fold. I personally hope you stick around the forum for a while and avail yourself of the wealth of information contained therein.

Last edited by a moderator:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate

Welcome to OCDO.

There is nothing wrong with not OC'ing, I attended a great many events while cc'ing in fact I do bot depending upon my preference of the day.

You may be misunderstanding the situation, your words indicate as much. Folks here are advocating for the CHOICE and while you may view it as wrong to "shove it down the throats of those afraid of guns" you seem to miss the point that those that are afraid of guns are taking the choice there by forcing their fears upon everyone.

all of your comments seem to be predicated on fear, if you see someone with a firearm you are going to run out of the store in fear etc. Do you realize on just how many levels that defies logic? You must not get to do much since police officers are all over the place openly carrying firearms. Oh, you say they are "the good guys" and help others? Perhaps you should review the FBI crime statistics and see who is more likely to commit a crime. But they are carrying EBR's, well again, look at criminal activities and justify that fear with just how often a crime is committed with an evil black rifle, your gonna be surprised.

I am not from TX, but I do have a dog in the hunt since I travel there and despite past efforts it remains a part of my country :) that's right, it is mine, and yours, not the goobers that get elected. Try to dial it back a notch, remember no one has the right answer beyond yourself on how you will conduct yourself, the only thing folks are doing is trying to prevent the government from doing that very thing, if you NEVER oc no one is going to be offended, but as long as you can't, many of us are very offended.

If you leave angry you will have the wrong opinion of this place, if you hang out and relax a bit, you will learn a lot. You do not have to change your opinion for this to happen, but once you start learning do not be surprised if your opinions do not radically change, it happens all the time. Here is an example, I became interested in the origins of the laws after trying to find out how OC got somewhat restricted in MO. Interestingly it is NOT easy to find out what happened even 20-30 years ago let alone far in history. What I learned was that a great many of MO weapon laws do NOT stem from firearms and criminal activities. It seems that a great many were developed from the use of shovels and axes. Most also started as civil disputes over fence locations. Apparently unlike TV or the movies, when you whack someone upside the head with a shovel, it is highly likely they may pass away from it. Probably a lot more likely when you were four days ride from medical care, but I think you get the point.

Knowing this has not lead me to avoid the garden department, but it does make it clear that while a great many fear them, guns just give one the luxury of distance, it is the deranged villain that needs to be feared.

Hang out and look around a bit, you might learn a bit and find it interesting, or not, your call.

Jack House

Yep

Ohhhh thank you, thank you thank you! LoL

Rut roh. Newb here and didn't know that. My bad :uhoh:
Well, deductive reasoning should have told you that perhaps there might be an exception you're not aware of.

Yah luv me? LMAO!
Oh yes, now give me a big wet sloppy kiss!

CG9AtkW.jpg

1. What OCT is doing is exactly what OCDO did with handguns that got HGOC as widely accepted as it is now. A lot of people are forgetting about that.
2. No one is scared of long guns in Texas.

Oh... and when a newbie enters a conversation with an adversarial attitude it should be no surprise when that attitude is immediately returned 10 fold. I personally hope you stick around the forum for a while and avail yourself of the wealth of information contained therein.
Hit&runs are not uncommon around here either. So if you're serious, Russia dude, listen to this guy.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I'm confused, you say you are a newbie, but you make a remark of the legend of Gecko45?

Either you are from one of those CC only sites, or a sock with a hole in it.:uhoh:

RU serious

Oh yes, now give me a big wet sloppy kiss!
LMAO!!!! Damn near passed out from it too.
I want to hate you ... but I can't :uhoh:

Hit&runs are not uncommon around here either. So if you're serious, Russia dude, listen to this guy.
No H&R but I made no bones that I don't expect to be here alot.

RU = "are you", not Russian. lol
Native Houstonian and now live 2 counties removed.

RU serious

It would appear you think the best way to protect the right to bear arms is to hide the bearing of arms so no one gets offended and takes away the right to bear arms. Is that a correct assessment?

Oddly enough... if you allow the fear of offending someone to stop you from bearing arms then there is no need for others to take away the bearing of arms since you already voluntarily gave up your right to bear arms because you were afraid someone might be offended. There was no need to pass any laws since you allowed your own fear of ... offending someone.... to take away your right of bearing arms. No one took it away.... you gave it away out of fear.

And please understand that concealed carry permits (or open carry permits) have nothing at all to do with the right to bear arms but are the very infringement of government being in control of decreeing who will be allowed (and who will NOT be allowed!) the privilege to exercise the right to bear arms that "shall not be infringed" was meant to prevent.

Not correct. I'm likely not clear and/or consistent with my words. In reference to Texas specifically, I have no issue with legal, OC of long guns in public. Public excludes businesses that do not want you carrying there which is a property rights issue.

I'm not afraid of offending anyone nor am I PC. I have seen no doubt a small amount of Open Carry Texas (OCT) related videos and news articles but, IMO, 100% of them did nothing to advance OC in TX. More than likely the opposite. I recently saw a written exchange with a State politician, the politician said OC is off the table for the next session due at least in part to those who are making a scene. I'll try to find that exchange and post it, but no promises.

Completely agree, permits of any type are unrelated to RKBA.

Understood and I wasn't trying to rile things up. Just on a forum yakin', no worries. Thanks, I believe I will hangout some. ;)

LMTD: Scanned your post but I've already been here too long today. I've GOT to cut the grass! lol .. catch you later.
Almost forgot, Thanks for the welcome! :cool: