• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1 in the chamber

merc460

I used to carry my 1911 in Condition 2, until I found out, through personal experience, that there is no safe way to lower the hammer on a 1911 with a round in the chamber.

That is why I like my Makarov. The safety is a decocker and hammer block, though I do have a hard time trusting a decocker.

eye95

That is why I like my Makarov. The safety is a decocker and hammer block, though I do have a hard time trusting a decocker.

I hear ya. Keep it pointed at something that you don't care if you put a hole in it. ;) In my case, the muzzle was pointed in the general direction of paper, wood, dirt, rocks, and grass when Dan Wesson decided to throw a surprise party. I wasn't worried what I put a hole in so much as how I was going to restart my heart.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
... I do have a hard time trusting a decocker.
The probability of a component of a pistol failing are about the same as the chances of the pistol itself failing. I wouldn't carry a pistol that I don't trust and especially one that has demonstrated its untrustworthyness.

I CCW an H&K USPc, drill for it is draw, aim, DA, SA, decock, holster, so it has been decocked maybe a third as many times as shots fired.

I OC an SA1911A1 in Condition One. In the house at night it is Condition Two after lowering the hammer. Ten years x 365 put ups for the night is 3650 transitions from Condition One to Condition Two - safely.

There are no accidents with a key in the ignition, the SCRAM Switch in RUN or with a round chambered, there can only be negligence.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
For me, this is one of the strongest arguments in favor of DAO pistols (if a semi-auto is the choice). My carry stable consists primarily of Glocks and Kahrs. I also carry my M&P40 on occasion and even though that gun's action is a SAO design, it feels and acts like a DAO.

Point is, none of these guns make use of external safeties (my M&P doesn't have the external safety option). This makes the guns more simple to get into action and lets me worry about nothing other than pulling the trigger.

These are all personal choices and what works for Bob is not necessarily gone to satisfy Jim. The most important thing is to find what works best and train with that.

Semper Paratus

My Thoughts

I carry 1 in the pipe hammer down. no safety, I have a CZ-52.(single action). By no means am I a quick draw. I carry in a leather horizontal shoulder holster. I have a button held strap that keeps the gun in the holster. I was timed 5 Tries to just draw and point at a target. the average is .75 of a second. with the quickest .61 of a second. Then I was timed for drawing, aiming and cocking the hammer the average was 1.12 seconds. With the quickest time of .92 of a second. To rack the slide instead of cocking the hammer was 1.22. For all of the tests both hands where at my side, I was OC. so .37 of a second difference of how I carry now compared to loaded and cocked. IF .37 of second makes the difference I am screwed any way you look at it. Personally I believe people should carry how they feel safe. There is the info do with it what you like. If i am 1 handed the cocking of my hammer can easley be done on my thigh.

Last edited:

Semper Paratus

another thought.

I don't know if I would feel safe standing in-line behind a person with a SA auto in condition 1 in a horizontal shoulder rig pointing at me when I do not know if they keep there gun in as good of conditiond as I keep mine.

Fallschirjmäger

Ask anyone who has survived an encounter in which they had to draw a handgun and chamber a round before firing and they will attest that there's always time and opportunity to rack the slide, 'Israeli Style'. The proof is that they're here, isn't it?

Of course, those individuals who didn't have the time or opportunity to draw and rack aren't going to contradict them, they're a bit too busy .... being dead.

There are just too many possibilities for things to go wrong with Condition 3 carry for me to ever think it's a viable option.

1) You're carrying your Starbuck's super machiato latte in your off-hand, what are you going to do, drop it?
2) You're trying to fend off the knife that's at your throat because you're reacting a bit late to a threat, what are you going to do, ask Mr Gangbanger for a time-out while you use both hands to ready your weapon?
3) It's your precious baby daughter in your hands, are you going to bounce her off the pavement while you do your superfast draw?
4) You're holding on to the leash of your puppy, while he's being attacked, can you hold on to a tugging leash at the same time as you're going for the slide?
5) You have an injured hand, either because Mr BG got the drop or because you hurt it the day before.
6) You're carrying your groceries to the car. Unless you are never going to carry things in either hand, then at some time you're not going to have both available.
7) You were walking hand-in-hand with your wife, girlfriend or life partner and how they're frightened out of their wits and have a death grasp on not only your hand but they're crawling up your arm in terror. Now what? Do you shake them off or do you ask them politely to refrain from getting you both killed?

Guys, the Israeli's didn't go to the "Israeli Carry" because it was superior, and neither should you. The Israeli's went to that method because it was a method to get around the problem they had of a huge number of surplus arms of differing types used by a population mostly untrained in their use. It was a refugee, citizen's army for the most part when Israel was resettled.
If you are untrained, inexperienced and using a weapon with which you are unfamiliar, go for the Israeli carry. If not, ... don't.

Last edited:

MamaLiberty

I don't know if I would feel safe standing in-line behind a person with a SA auto in condition 1 in a horizontal shoulder rig pointing at me when I do not know if they keep there gun in as good of conditiond as I keep mine.

Hmmm, that seems easy to fix. Don't stand behind them. :)

Oh, you don't know they're carrying that way if it is concealed? Well, life's like that. Would you feel safer if there was some "law" against such carry? Why would that be?

You don't know if the guy behind you in 70 MPH bumper to bumper traffic has good brakes either.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

sultan62

Yes.

I carry an XD 45 condition 1. It has a trigger safety, a grip/backstrap safety, and a slide lock safety. Additionally, the trigger is completely guarded by the holster. There is no chance of the gun going off accidentally.

However, I also carry the magazine one round down so I can empty the gun and store the round. Anyone else do this?

Ivan Sample

My personal opinion is that if you are going to be carrying a gun whether its open or concealed. Always carry one in the chamber. I think the board will agree me because the majority has already stated it. So I am not saying anything new. Welcome to the board and feel free to ask any questions that is related to guns here.

XDUser

Chambered.
Unless you live in the PRK or one of the other unamerican states.

afcarry

when i first started OC (with a kydex holster) I figured "well i wont chamber one in case of a gun grab" because that would give me one or two more seconds where I could exerise my weapon retention training. well, then i thought about it and realized im retarded. if in that few seconds I could steal a gun from someone, then theres seconds where he could steal it while im loading it. now i wear a galco gunleather thumb break and keep it rockin'.