• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1000 Feet from School Zone

Butch00

In my town the elementary school is on the left of the street going to town, the high school is on the right side of the street. When I am walking and armed what do they think I would do. As a free Citizen I walk down the side of the road between the schools. Laws that violate the Constitution have no force of Law.

Interceptor_Knight

Most likely streets and sidewalks are on public easements on your property, same as power, water and sewer - easements. That is as it should be, the government should not own land. Is/ought.

Since Public Right of Way is not Private Property, it is considered part of the GFSZ. Carry on sidewalks and planting strips is not exempt.

Last edited:

Deek

One might think that, given the current government setup, and the general mindset of the elitist anti-gun liberal, that they would come to the realization that the easiest way to disarm the public is come up screwy laws and hope you blunder into an "oops" and get yourself a felony and then......."No gun for you!".

Look at new york, trying to deny people for bankruptcies, foreclosures, if youve ever been delinquent on bill, etc. Ad infinitum...

Insidious, effective and I wouldnt be surprised if I was not too far off the mark

Captain Nemo

This article is from the Mercury, student newspaper of the University of Texas Dallas.

Gun-free policy not effective
By Philip Harris

Contributor

Published: Sunday, October 31, 2010

Updated: Sunday, October 31, 2010 20:10

On Sept. 28, math sophomore Colton Tooley opened fire with an AK-47 outside and then inside the Perry Castaneda Library at UT. No one was hurt or killed, except Tooley, who took his own life.

Did somebody forget to tell Tooley the UT campus is a gun-free zone? I have been wracking my brain for the last few weeks trying to figure out how he was able to physically bring a gun onto the campus when the stated policy of the University is that students simply aren't allowed to have guns.

My sense of security at UTD has been tragically shattered. I have been banking my feelings of personal security on the fact that UTD is officially "gun-free." The natural conclusion to this policy seemed to be that students are physically incapable of bringing firearms onto any part of the campus. Apparently this isn't the case.

Now it's time to get real.

How many tragedies have to happen or almost happen, like on the UT campus a few weeks ago, before we wake up and realize that gun-free school zones make absolutely no sense? Never before have I heard such foolish statements as when discussing gun policy on a university campus. Statements so ungrounded in logic as to be absurd.

"I just feel safer on a campus that doesn't allow guns, I like knowing that the person next to me in class doesn't have a firearm." How on earth is this a possibility? We don't attend a school surrounded by fences and metal detectors. Anybody who pleases can waltz onto campus armed to any degree they choose.

In fact, the only thing that gun-free school zones guarantee is that all of the law-abiding, responsible students at a university, and there are many, won't have a weapon. The people who break laws are the people we least want to carry a weapon, and those are the only ones who would carry a gun in a gun-free school zone. Besides the Police, who are legally allowed to carry a gun, of course.

Readers shouldn't misunderstand this article as critical of the police force. They work very hard to protect our campus and enforce laws. But the next most ridiculous statement I hear regarding gun-free school zones is, "it's the police's job to make campuses safe and secure, so students shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun with a concealed carry license."

The last time I checked, there isn't a police officer in every classroom on campus. That kind of a police presence might be the slightest bit overbearing, not to mention entirely impractical financially and administratively. The police are effective at enforcing laws and protecting students, but they aren't omnipresent. School shootings often lead to several tragic deaths before police can arrive and diffuse the situation.

It's clear, after several school shootings in the last few years, that gun-free school zones cannot physically or realistically keep students from carrying weapons. It's nice to pretend that if a University says students can't have guns, nobody has one, but it isn't reality. Universities have harsh policies against drug and alcohol possession, but students trample all over these rules on a regular basis.

While the UT campus is three hours away, the UTD campus has not been free from the possession of weapons either. This past summer a student was robbed at gunpoint after returning home from an off-campus ATM. Prior to that, a student brought a firearm onto campus claiming it as a prop, allegedly without any intent to commit a crime.

My point is not to make another tired plea for concealed carry on college campuses. While I personally believe this is a viable solution, many do not, and trying to make that point here would cause too many people to miss my point in an effort to combat the logic or wisdom of allowing college students to carry concealed weapons.

The more important conclusion is that simply banning weapons on a campus doesn't work. There have been enough school shootings to show that no matter how firm a university's rules are about weapons, no matter how many signs and postings show pictures of guns with a circle around them and a line drawn through them, students still bring guns onto campus and kill other students. New solutions must be discussed. Whether this means concealed carry, more police officers, or preventative measures to help troubled students not resort to violence, something must be done to ensure a safe campus for UTD students.

M

McX

responding to the title of the thread: 1000 feet from a school zone you will find NO criminals, as they are all safe and confortable IN the school zone, where you cant tread.