• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

133 Days A Year You Could Be A Criminal For OC'ing

johnny amish

I would ask that you cite the statute that "criminalizes" this practice. I would think the most that could be imposed is a civil forfeiture. To say one is a criminal implies that one has committed a misdemeanor or felony violation of the law.

Well I may have used the wrong term but it would seem as though to oc while taking a 10 or 11 yr. old hunting is breaking the law. I would no longer be law abiding.

Interceptor_Knight

Well here it is, as many of you know the DNR has graciously given 10 and 11 yr. olds permission to hunt under their new mentor program. .........I realize some might think I am nit picking but I am cautious when it comes to the DNR, after all can't we thank them for the restrictions on vehicle carry?
For starters, the DNR has ZERO control over this. 29.592 is a WI State Statute and not part of the DNR Administrative code. It will do you no good to complain at the spring Conservation Congress meetings. You must contact your State representatives. All the DNR says in its NR10 Admin Code is that you must comply with 29.592 and that a single mentor may only accompany a maximum of 2 hunters and only if one of them has a "Hunters' Safety" certificate".
As for the dates and seasons, you may possess a holstered handgun during the archery seasons even if your child is bow hunting.
167.31 is also a WI State Statute which the DNR no longer has control over. They did at one time, but you can thank our elected officials in Madison for taking it over and running with it.

johnny amish

All the DNR says in its NR10 Admin Code is that you must comply with 29.592 and that a single mentor may only accompany a maximum of 2 hunters and only if one of them has a "Hunters' Safety" certificate".

In order for a youth to get a hunter saftey certificate he/she must be at least 11 1/2 yrs. old. Would'nt that disqualify them from the mentor program?

Interceptor_Knight

In order for a youth to get a hunter saftey certificate he/she must be at least 11 1/2 yrs. old. Would'nt that disqualify them from the mentor program?

Although the DNR encourages children to wait until 11 1/2, anyone of any age may take the class and earn the certificate. There is no mention of age in the Admin Code or State Statutes which dictate the class. A child would not get a free first antlerless deer tag, etc if they take the class at age 10.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/safety/hunted.htm

Last edited:

johnny amish

Although the DNR encourages children to wait until 11 1/2, anyone of any age may take the class and earn the certificate. There is no mention of age in the Admin Code or State Statutes which dictate the class. A child would not get a free first antlerless deer tag, etc if they take the class at age 10.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/safety/hunted.htm

I stand corrected, thank you. Did the age requirement change with the new mentor program?