• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

14 Dead after gunman pepper sprays theater then opens fire into the crowd.

Captain Nemo

Anybody know the distance of the shots? How many rows back from the shooter is 30 feet. I'm confident that most members of this forum can put their shots in an eight inch circle at 10 yards. Yeah, there are other factors involved that I'm sure some of you will jump on. Things like smoke, noise, lighting, the fear and the adrenaline factor, but what if one lawfully armed law-abiding citizen could get in a good shot and save just one life? What is the value of saving one life? It is beyond value. The slime ball shooter is a coward. He didn't even have the guts to shoot himself which is the norm in mass shootings of this ilk. The fact he wore so much tactical armour indicates he has a strong self-preservation instinct. Just the fact someone was shooting back at him might have had a psychological effect that could have made a difference. We may never know the answers. The theater owners cave-in to the national paranoia of guns prevented the answer.

Lurchiron

Sounds as this shooter had lots of armor on he would have been tough to take out with handgun rounds.

Remember the North hollywood bank robbers, they took a lot of shotgun and handgun hits.

Wouldn't have been easy but should would have tried.

Hopefully with some thing more then a subcompact 380 or the like.

This is where I high cap pistol is very handy gives one a lot more rounds to find a weak spot.

Also to keep him busy.

As by her own admission, that girl(Jenny?)[Fox news interview] with the butch haircut said her and her "buff" male friend were in the front row within 3 feet of the shooter. Body armor or not, if you can control the end the barrel on the AR; you can control where & how many shots are fired. Why didn't they grasp the barrel and rush, push, or trip the shooter??? Backup would have surely come to help when they seen the tables turned on the FREAK...

Hero's are made in this way; not by how long you can keep the cameras' rolling as you spin a tale of retreat... Two cents worth :mad:

Last edited:

Tanner

proof that there was at least one person who would have fired back if he were armed. I have to belive that if he sacrificed his life to protect his loved ones he would have shot back in trying to defend them.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-colo-suspect-planned-attack-months-232812400.html

Another victim, 27-year-old Matt McQuinn, was killed after diving in front of his girlfriend and her older brother to shield them from the gunfire, said his family's attorney, Rob Scott of Dayton, Ohio.

Alex Sullivan had planned a weekend of fun, first ringing in his 27th birthday with friends at the special midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" and then celebrating his first wedding anniversary on Sunday.

"He was a very, very good young man," said Sullivan's uncle, Joe Loewenguth. "He always had a smile, always made you laugh. He had a little bit of comic in him."

scott58dh

Sounds as this shooter had lots of armor on he would have been tough to take out with handgun rounds.

Remember the North hollywood bank robbers, they took a lot of shotgun and handgun hits.

Wouldn't have been easy but should would have tried.

Hopefully with some thing more then a subcompact 380 or the like.

This is where I high cap pistol is very handy gives one a lot more rounds to find a weak spot.

Also to keep him busy.

The best i can figure it is the only *weak spot* would've straight through the gas mask.

However, being the innocent patron, (without a gas mask) the situation was complicated by the suddenness of attack, obviously the smoke (gas) cloud & the line of fire ( distance, confused nature of the innocents & direction of attack) being clear to mark a direct hit.

To All the families involved, you're in our thoughts & prayers.

May you find the strength to rise above this tragedy and find a true peace from those who support you at this time.

jpm84092

Yellow Cat's Take

I know there is a lot of talk about how difficult it would be to shoot back in a situation like this, with armour and smoke and confusion. But I would rather be armed with a chance than unarmed with none.

+1 - that sort of says it all.

My friends - we can second guess the what ifs of the Aurora tragedy - or - we can recommit to obtaining quality firearms training from properly certified instructors - and train, train, and train some more. Thus, God forbid, if that day comes when we need to rely on that training, we will be prepared and able to protect ourselves, our loved ones, and others.

On a human note, my heart and prayers go out to the families of those who were killed or injured. This was a horrible tragedy perpetrated by a man who had calculated to do evil and then did evil. It is one more reason why moral people should be prepared to defend themselves and others. Be ever Vigilant my friends, and be well prepared. The Yellow Cat fervently hopes that he never has to unholster his handgun anywhere but a range, but if that day comes, I pray for a steady hand, good aim, and the calmness that can only come from belief in the Man who walked on water.

Yellow Cat Out -

Outdoorsman1

On a human note, my heart and prayers go out to the families of those who were killed or injured. This was a horrible tragedy perpetrated by a man who had calculated to do evil and then did evil. It is one more reason why moral people should be prepared to defend themselves and others. Be ever Vigilant my friends, and be well prepared. The Yellow Cat fervently hopes that he never has to unholster his handgun anywhere but a range, but if that day comes, I pray for a steady hand, good aim, and the calmness that can only come from belief in the Man who walked on water.

+1 ... And that really does say it all ...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:
M

McX

the popularity of armor seems to be on the rise amongst the sillies, Smacky for work, Disruptor gets pressed back into service for life in the real, silly world.

HandyHamlet

the popularity of armor seems to be on the rise amongst the sillies, Smacky for work, Disruptor gets pressed back into service for life in the real, silly world.

Or just aim for the head.

[video=youtube;YZUE4_PtOk0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZUE4_PtOk0[/video]

M

McX

a head shot is an interesting concept, but i wont even debate. in the melee, perhaps in less than ideal lighting conditions, against a heavily armed, and armored foe, and numerous scrambling citizens present, largest central mass on the target presented would be what i aim for. 7.62 by 25 A.P. is now for me.

Lurchiron

a head shot is an interesting concept, but i wont even debate. in the melee, perhaps in less than ideal lighting conditions, against a heavily armed, and armored foe, and numerous scrambling citizens present, largest central mass on the target presented would be what i aim for. 7.62 by 25 A.P. is now for me.

[video=youtube;maBJzJgYjto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBJzJgYjto[/video] .44 x 6 :cool:

bigdaddy1

I could never understand the reasoning behind a copycat crime? As for the head shot, I practice head shots at the range at 20 to 25 yards (I cant remember what the full length of the indoor range at the old Badger Outdoor is. Haven't been there for a while though.) I would do standing and kneeling. Really couldn't do any prone shooting there though.

Last edited: