• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18-2-308 Bars and Restaurant

jbobmurph

imported post

The fact that you're unfamiliar with how the dead are buried in South Louisiana notwithstanding, the fact of the matter is that this isn't a problem unique to Louisiana. Any time there's any significant amount of flooding anywhere, a few bodies pop up.

That being said, I know what you're doing to return a loved one to his/her family is appreciated, and so I thank you on behalf of those who haven't.

The fact remains, though, that here and elsewhere, yourself and others contribute, generally inadvertently, to the notion that New Orleans/South Louisiana is some corrupt, violent, dangerous, disease ridden, third world backwater.

When the fact of the matter is that Louisiana politicians are no more or less corrupt than politicians in any other town in the country, the average law abiding citizen faces less of a risk of violent crime than most other large cities (all the violent crime and the vast majority of the non-violent crime, pretty much every instance of which makes the national news, is both confined to certain neighborhoods - think Anacostia, eg - and confined to certain elements - think your friendly neighborhood crack dealer shooting someone else's friendly neighborhood crack dealer). And as long as I keep my kids out of the government schools (I don't see anyone here rushing to put their kids into city schools in DC, etc) I can get my kid a quality education (some of the top private schools in the country are in New Orleans) at a reasonable price. And because so many of your neighbors send their kids to private school too, school taxes are low and competition is prevalent.

The fact of the matter is that, for some reason, people who've never lived there, and in many cases never been there (visiting for a convention and getting drunk on Bourbon street where you're able to get that hot co-worker to flash her breasts and then subsequently hook up with her doesn't count) think it's okay to deride the region. I don't consider it fair for me to deride any other place that's suffered a debilitating natural disaster that I've never been to and am completely unfamiliar with. Why is it then okay to do that with New Orleans?

I know no one reading this is ever going to live there - and I don't really care. I do really hope some of you will visit (and I hope you'll stay away from Bourbon Street and the Vieux Carre the entire time; if you need recommendations of restaurants, jazz joints, Bed & Breakfasts outside of the French Quarter, I or others will be happy to provide them).

And I do really hope you all do your best to refrain from criticizing a place that, to be completely frank, you don't know anything about.

Hawkflyer wrote:
Sorry but I did not "read" about them, I am working to help identify them, and there are more than just a few. Moreover, a lot of them are NOT "fresh".

Regards

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jbobmurph wrote:
...SNIP

When the fact of the matter is that Louisiana politicians are no more or less corrupt than politicians in any other town in the country, the average law abiding citizen faces less of a risk of violent crime than most other large cities (all the violent crime and the vast majority of the non-violent crime, pretty much every instance of which makes the national news, is both confined to certain neighborhoods - think Anacostia, eg - and confined to certain elements - think your friendly neighborhood crack dealer shooting someone else's friendly neighborhood crack dealer).SNIP...

I have no desire or cause to argue with you at all, but I think you are being a little unfair.

I have made no comments at all about the politics, or crime rates in the area. And while it is an interesting city, and area in general (yes I have been there a number of times, before and since Katrinia), like many areas it has problems. While I do not believe I have said anything that could be considered an attack, I have recognized that much of the area is below sea level. That is just a fact, and it is getting worse. You don't have to stand looking up at the top of some of the levees very long, or even hear the pumps to see the problem.

To protect the lives and property of the area from future disasters, it would be better and less expensive in the long run to move to higher ground. The same can be said of many coastal areas in this country, so I think that is a fair statement, and is not derisive of the area.

Regards