• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

20 yo friend pulled over... gun taken.

Deanimator

imported post

riegnman wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
riegnman wrote:
I agree with you completely. There are going to be bad cops. I know that as well as everyone else. I also believe in protecting my rights as a citizen of this great country. However, there is a right way and a wrong way to do things.

Some, (readMOST or ALL),LEOs don't know every law on the books. Does that surprise anyone? Some, (readMOST or ALL),LEOs make mistakes and they should be held accountable for those mistakes. But the "punishment should fit the crime" so to speak. We afford LEOs with a certain level of power and authority to "protect and serve", (I believe we should scratch the protect part of that, but I digress).

Some people want to fire an LEO because he isn't versed in our particular "pet peeve". If we were protesting for a gun ban and an LEO came along and told us that we had to move when we were legally assembled, we would be calling for his head because he is infringing on our First Amendment rights.

The point that I am trying to make in my limited way is that LEOs make mistakes also. If a LEO makes a mistake and there is some permanent damage that occurs, then he should be held accountable. If a LEO makes a mistake and no permanent damage he should still be held accountable. Just not at the same level.

1. Bad cops cluster where their behavior isn't monitored or controlled, Chicago and New Orleans, for instance. I'll bet that there have been more verifiable acts of serious misconduct in the last six months by officers of the Chicago PD than there have been in the last five years in your town, probably longer.

2. I expect cops to know the laws they ENFORCE. If you're going to prone somebody out and threaten to arrest them, it had BETTER not be for your INCORRECT reading of the law in a DIFFERENT state where you used to be a cop. God help you, if you threaten to MAKE UP charges against me because you don't like the laws in THIS state, which allow open carry, or anything else.

3. What's your definition of "permanent damage"? Should that 250lb. Chicago cop who stomped the 115lb. barmaid be fired? I don't think he did her any "permanent damage" (although I'm sure she'll be afraid of cops for the rest of her life).

I have fairly low expectations of the police:

1. Obey the law like everyone else.

2. Don't act like a thug or a bully.

3. I don't expect the police to "protect" me. They have almost no legal duty to do so, some of them don't want to, and in most cases they CAN'T.

Do you consider those unreasonable expectations?

Those are completely reasonable expectations.

Sorry, I missed the part in this story where his friend was on his face on the pavement. The problem arises that most people want to find any reason that they can to "get a lawyer". After all, if I can get a lawyer, I can maybe get some money out of this thing.

In this case, a law was broken. Not a firearm law, but a law none-the-less. It was probably a mistake or oversight, but everyone is allowed to make mistakes as long as they're not wearing a badge, right?

The fact that the cops in question confiscated his gun is something that I don't like either. However, there are ways to react and ways not to react.

Most people don't have the same expectations of cops that you do. Most people follow a different set of rules:

1. Don't get caught disobeying the laws that everyone else are supposed to follow and it will be fine. It's not illegal if you don't get caught, right?

2. Only act like a thug or bully when you don't think that you will be caught.Or when you think that you can blame someoneelse for your actions. Preferably blame the cops if you can and can get a lawyer to agree with you.

3. Expect the cops to do everything in their power to protect me and then do everything that I can to get something out of the deal once it's done.

In regard to assaulting somebody while "enforcing" an incorrect understanding of the law in a DIFFERENT state, that actually happened recently, in Tennesse, I believe. A cop did a lot of bad, stupid stuff because he THOUGHT that open carry was illegal in Ohio, where he'd worked previously. Of course Ohio court precedent PROTECTS open carry... as if that matters in Tennesse anyway.

BTW, you didn't answer my question about the cop stomping on the woman he outweighed by +2X. A lot of Chicago cops seem to think that there's something wrong with:

Firing him

Prosecuting him for the battery, attempted bribery of a witness, and use of hisposition as a police officer to threaten to frame the victim, witnesses and the owner of the bar.

Sueing him.

Sueing the city for violating its own hiring, retention and disciplinary policies for hiring him with a DUI on his record (evidence of his drinking problem) among other things.

Do you think there's anything wrong with any of those actions being taken [grudgingly by the Chicago PD] against Officer Anthony Abbate and the city?

cato

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
cato wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Your stoppedfor a broken tail light and the police observe $40,000 in $10 and $20 bills in a laundry bag in your back seat.

Can they seize it?
I hope not unless there is evidence it was used in or derived from a criminal action.
Guess things are different in Cali... or your just playing it safe to keep your popularity here. :lol:

Things aren't really different anywhere except where we make it so. If you recall I came on here calling for the Manassas officers to be given the benefit of the doubt and giving possible excuses for their actions.

Participating here has just allowed me to have a rebirth of first principles. I think I've learned as much as I've given. I was lucky to have a very good sergeant in my first years; he always stressed doing things by the book and fairly which may not always get the BG ( you know we always seethem again) but will in the long run uphold ones honor and hopefully provide for a long carrier.

There are a lot of depts. and officers out here and I've seen not a few fall for over exuberant behavior that crossed the line. I want nothing to do with that. I've got too much to loose, a family and my personal honor, to let some stupid reckless over exuberant badge brother risk what I've got just forhis stats and ego.

Don't get we wrong, I'll use the tricks of the trade when needed, but that primarily is being a good talker and having a tape recorder; the BGs are their ownworstenemies. I've only ever had one person refuse consent for a search and they all usually have warrants.

Don't know if what I say here is driven by popularity as much as I just agree with and support open carry as a basic human right not subject to government interference or regulation for the convenience of the states police power. I just don't understand police making enemies in OC states of the very people who are their natural law and order partners. I think OC is a natural deterrent to crime and as such should lead over time to less paperwork for us :)celebrate) !!!!

massltca

imported post

Glad it turned out okay. I still don't see the justification for holding him at gunpoint for complying, that doesn't make sense. Once they relieved him of his gun how exactly is he any threat to them? I think they need to make firearm law part of academy training for the police so these kind of incidents don't happen as often. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, that goes double for the police. You can't expect them to know every law, but they should be able to call a superior or someone with the attorny generals office so they don't make a bad arrest.

massltca

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Here is one for ya'......

Your stoppedfor a broken tail light and the police observe $40,000 in $10 and $20 bills in a laundry bag in your back seat.

Can they seize it?

I have heard of drug seizures in which people's money was taken from their persons because it was assumed that carrying lots of money makes you a drug dealer. I don't know if that's a law or not, but if it is, it's just wrong. Just as I may carry my gun for my own private reasons, maybe I like to carry lots of cash because I don't believe in banks or whatever. It's my cash, I worked for it.

But now you're getting into the reason for so many infringements on our liberty these days, the "war on drugs". That's a subject for another thread...maybe another website.
Yes but it illustrates how many infringements on our liberty modern society tolerates in the name of greater "safety". I agree with you having alot of cash means absolutely nothing certainly not proof of a crime.

Sleepless

imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
Alright... just got home... and got the gun back.

The situation was a little more involved than originally described to me. In addition to his tags being dead his licence was expired. He is a UVA employee andis not permited to have a gun on grounds. Therefore... the gun was actually taken due to the fact that a. he could not drive his car off of grounds and b. he could not take the gun with him to work. They simply took it for "safe keeping" although the officer told him to the contrary.

The sargent we spoke to at the station (not the same one as was on duty this morning) explained all this and apologized for his officers misunderstanding of directions. He also photocopied my friends renewed registration and new VADL, so he will not have to go to court for the traffic tickets he recieved.

Istill don't understand why the serial number was checked or why he was held at gun pointfor following an officers instructions...

All in all a good experience this evening, the sargent was well versed in gun laws, even tested me (andI got every question right :cool:) He gave my frind the name of the officer that showed up second, and my friend will be filing a complaint with the assistance of his attorney.

This might already have been answered because I am right now too lazy to read several pages more and then try to find the post again if it hasn't been answered. :p

But isn't it legal for him to have it on school grounds AS LONG AS he doesn't carry it into a building or am I totally off on that one??

Though if it is true what I have just said then it sounds like the cops overreacted and haven't checked the laws because my gut feeling is telling me so anyway but that could just be that I am hungry. :lol:

Sleepless

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
Sleepless - why do you keep digging up this old, dead topics? Do some research on your own....

Bubba I was just making a comment at the time I read it , I wasn't trying to ask other people for legal knowledge for myself.

And I dug them up because I was researching some stuff and not checking the age of the thread but then when I read it I thought I would put my own $0.02 CAD into it.

Sometimes we can give new life to old threads. :p

But I find some of them interesting but if they are old then I mostly just read them unless something catches my eye.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
molonlabetn wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
smccomas wrote:
LEO 229 heres a question what would happen if the individual who owned the firearm called the state police and reported it stolen? That would atleast create a paper trail so that if anything happens with his firearm he can prove that he was not in possesion.
When the owner provided the details.... the State police would stop and there would be no report.

If it was taken as evidence or safekeeping... there is no "theft" unless the gun never made it into the property room and could not be accounted for.
Perhaps this would be a good reason to at least go ask for a reciept for the gun, for added accountability. If they cannot or refuse to provide such, then you might have a basis for reporting it stolen.

My agency does not provide a receipt. Someone can confirm it is in the property room. At best... you might be able to get a copy of the property sheet.

I am not sure why they do not provide a receipt.. Not a bad idea if you ask me.

Whether they have a book ofconfiscation receiptsor can print one out of their ticket machine or neither,you can get a receipt if something like this happens. Just take a piece of paper, and while he's writing out the ticket for whatever you were stopped for, you take any plain piece of paper (it's a good idea to keep a pad of scratch paper and a pen handy) and write down, in itemized format, what was confiscated (gun, magazine(s), holster,and count/type of ammunition), the date confiscated, and the general condition. When he asks you to sign the ticket, you ask him to verify the contents of the list are accurate, then sign the list and give his badge number. You now have a receipt. If he refuses to sign said list, you're not signing the ticket. It's mutual culpability; he's trying to get you to agree to appear for the ticket, without promising any safekeeping or return of your property.

As far as reasonable search and seizure, I think the officer's golden. The weapon was in plain sight otherwise the officer wouldn't have seen it, there was suspicion a crime had been committed, and thus the weapon was confiscated as evidence; failure to do so in the absence of any other reason to detain or arrest means the gun stands a good chance of disappearing if in fact a crime was committed. After the ticket has been cleared up, return to the police department, receipt in hand, and request that the firearm be released. Point out applicable statutes and say that the weapon was carried lawfully, and as such the confiscation of said weapon was without probable cause. If they refuse, THEN you call the lawyer and get a writ. Trouble is, property isn't people; a writ of habeas corpus gives the police and DA 48 hours to charge or release you, but it doesn't require, if they do not charge you,that they return all seized property if they can show it to be evidence of the alleged crime. Just because they don't have enough to arrest you doesn't mean they can't keep what they have until they do. The only way to get the gun back in an expedited fashion is a court order, and a judge in signing one has to be shown that the alleged crime for which the gun is held as evidence is in fact invalid on its face. The person did not commit the offense if:

1. The gun is legal to open carry in general (<=20 rounds current mag capacity, not a sawed-off, machine gun, destructive device, etc)
  2. The individual was of age (the definition of "person" at law generally implies adulthood; minors cannot carry)
  3. The individual was not prohibited from possessing a firearm under either State or Federal law.
  4. Theweapon was not "hidden from common observation"(I can find no Virginia law allowing CC in your carwithout permit like there is in Texas; if there is such a statute lemme know)
  5. The individual is not shooting that weapon from within the car in a reckless manner.
  6. The individual was not currently committing a crime of a class greater than a Class 3 misdemeanor (most commontraffic violations including expired tags)
So, a 20-year-old with no criminal or severe mental health history carrying the weapon on his hip is doing nothing illegal, permit or not. The fact that one officer thought he was brandishing the weapon means nothing if the other officer told him to remove the weapon from its holster, and the cruiser's dash recorder will prove that.

However, the officers may both say that looking through the window they could not see the weapon in the individual's hip, therefore it may or may not be "hidden from common observation". The dash cam isn't going to show that, and in the absence of case law to the contrary (something to the effect of "a weapon carried in a manner such that itis plainly visible from the frontif the individual were standing is presumed to be plainly visible if the individualis seated") he could be in some trouble.

And about large sums of money; $10,000 cash on hand or involved in an "ordinary" banking transaction (deposit, withdrawal, transfer involving a checking or savings account), by federal law, triggers a review. This is to prevent money laundering and "under-the-radar" transactions; the law was created at a time when once you were through security you were golden, so you could board a domestic connecting flight then switch planes to an international one without any further security review. So, the Feds put a $10,000 limit on cash on hand while travelling. Domestic or international, you are detained until the source and intended destination of the money is identified and verified.