• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2013 report of LEO who died on the job

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
No, I meant to attribute " Common Sense" to most cops.. ( Emphasis Mine)...

Maybe we should let the LEO folks on this board weigh in on my post...

Best regards

CCJ

Oh, my. Lemme just double-check to be sure.

Are you saying its common-sense to pretext seize people of color when they're doing nothing wrong except driving a car decorated the way they like and enjoying their music? I understand the loud music is is probably a violation of an ordinance, but you didn't say it was common sense to seize cars playing loud music, which would include red-necks in Jeeps blasting Alabama. You expressly mentioned people of color in certain unusual cars. So, just so I clearly understand, you consider pretext stopping blacks driving with big wheels blasting loud music to be common-sense?

Fuller Malarkey

Lets use some common sense...

Most LEO are not going to pull over and detain a couple senior citizens for rolling thru a stop sign without making a complete stop however most LEO will pull over and detain a motorist for the same infraction if said motorist is a person of color and or driving a vehicle with over sized wheels and loud glaring music etc... or if said motorist is sleeping with the LEOS significant other...

While this may be considered profiling, sometimes its just simple "common sense"..

My .02

Best regards

CCJ

Sounds good in a post, however, it would require all of us to ignore a history of abuses under the guise of "common sense". If we are all equal under the law, if we all have equal protection under the law, then the laws must be equally applied. Nowhere in any constitution does it say "except those that don't live to my approval".

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Sounds good in a post, however, it would require all of us to ignore a history of abuses under the guise of "common sense". If we are all equal under the law, if we all have equal protection under the law, then the laws must be equally applied. Nowhere in any constitution does it say "except those that don't live to my approval".

Also, lets not forget that many pretext stops are for the so-called war on drugs.

Fuller Malarkey

Also, lets not forget that many pretext stops are for the so-called war on drugs.

Yes. The war where the police have claimed more lives than the drugs have.

The "other" war the police have engaged in, "The War on Terror", has it's ironic twists:

You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist
~National Safety Council

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Another thing your "brainwashed" comment should be applied to yourself.

I don't give a rats ass what your departments common accepted practice is, when you give cops deferential treatment you are wrong wrong wrong.

My big issue is NOT that a individual officer chooses to "exercise discretion" but the EXPECTATION from either the department, either overtly encouraging or by covertly allowing it to happen or of other officer's that they WON'T get cited for their infractions/crimes.

ETA: You know, the infamous-- "Let keep this in house so the department isn't embarrassed". Or "Officer JimBob" is only a few months from retirement so, let us just let him retire early, instead of prosecuting him". Or, "Larry, you ran that light the other day in your POV, but I really want to thank you for having my back last week!"

This particular Citizen of this Country who is subject to the rule of law and protected by certain constitutional limits on government and its agents DOES See a problem here! Anyone else?

Last edited:

Primus

That is so disingenuous! You said the tag light being out was a good excuse for stopping. Meaning, you don't need a tag light pretext if you have probable cause--you can just stop them. And you know it. Now, you're just trying to weasel out of it. You revealed in that post that you morph suspicion into certainty, and somebody noticed. Now, instead of trying to walk it back, you're going off on a tangent.

Busted.

Citizen I'll make one last good faith effort to clear this up.

Sure you can just stop them with the drug deal you saw. Sure you can stop them and immediately pull said person out of car and cuff them without waiting for any other reason . But what if you were wrong and the hand to hand exchange was just money the guy owed him? What if the pat frisk turns up NOTHING. Now you just conducted a stop and exit order for NOTHING. I mean sure you won't get sued since you had RS and/or P/C. But sometimes RAS/PC is still wrong and turns up nothing.

Or. .. you could wait for a tail light and KNOW you have a concrete stop that will be held up in any court. Then you approach said vehicle and may or may not issue exit orders based on what you know or see. That way if it goes to crap at least it was still a lawful detention.

Why is that the guy everyone bashes here as being a tyrant or thing is the one advocates for making a 100% concrete stop to ensure your not violating any rights?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Sure you can just stop them with the drug deal you saw. Sure you can stop them and immediately pull said person out of car and cuff them without waiting for any other reason . But what if you were wrong and the hand to hand exchange was just money the guy owed him? What if the pat frisk turns up NOTHING. Now you just conducted a stop and exit order for NOTHING. I mean sure you won't get sued since you had RS and/or P/C. But sometimes RAS/PC is still wrong and turns up nothing.

Or. .. you could wait for a tail light and KNOW you have a concrete stop that will be held up in any court. Then you approach said vehicle and may or may not issue exit orders based on what you know or see. That way if it goes to crap at least it was still a lawful detention.

Why is that the guy everyone bashes here as being a tyrant or thing is the one advocates for making a 100% concrete stop to ensure your not violating any rights?

More evasion. Now, you're saying "what if the cop is wrong". Then he can't really say he saw a drug deal. Not without jumping to a conclusion. He can only suspect that what he saw was a drug deal. Anybody who wants can just scroll up to post #109 and see where you jumped to a conclusion about seeing a drug deal.

You're not making a good faith effort to clear up anything. You're trying to fog up your mistake as best you can.

Last edited:

Primus

More evasion. Now, you're saying "what if the cop is wrong". Then he can't really say he saw a drug deal. Not without jumping to a conclusion. He can only suspect that what he saw was a drug deal. Anybody who wants can just scroll up to post #109 and see where you jumped to a conclusion about seeing a drug deal.

You're not making a good faith effort to clear up anything. You're trying to fog up your mistake as best you can.

Lol ok citizen your right... you busted me again.... even though every explanation I got MORE detailed to clear it up.... not LESS detailed. But ok.... you know better then me.

As I said that was last good faith effort.

The sad part is you have an Leo giving you a direct inside scoop as to what why and how stuff is legally being done currently. You respond by attacking saying "muddling up mistakes".

Some guys really pay so much attention to every letter and word just TRYING to find a screw up that they miss the bigger picture of what's being said. It always ends the same way.... I give a explanation and instead of acknowledging said explanation it becomes a "ha I gotcha you used present tense in the second line and past tense in the third and had an s on the stop! So you meant you violate rights on multiple stops in the present and past!".

Lol

countryclubjoe

Oh, my. Lemme just double-check to be sure.

Are you saying its common-sense to pretext seize people of color when they're doing nothing wrong except driving a car decorated the way they like and enjoying their music? I understand the loud music is is probably a violation of an ordinance, but you didn't say it was common sense to seize cars playing loud music, which would include red-necks in Jeeps blasting Alabama. You expressly mentioned people of color in certain unusual cars. So, just so I clearly understand, you consider pretext stopping blacks driving with big wheels blasting loud music to be common-sense?

Citizen

Did you miss the part about rolling thru a stop sign? Did you miss the part about possible profiling by the LEO?

I am not condoning this method of police work nor am I claiming that a LEO that practice's this method of police work is a racist..

Lets change the scenario if I may...

Two senior citizens of color roll thru a stop sign at 8pm on a not so busy road, on the opposite side of the road two young white fellows roll thru a stop sign in a fancy looking pick up truck with very loud Barry Manilow music playing... A LEO sitting in his/her patrol car observes the violations by both motorist.

What motorist do you feel has the bigger probability of being pulled over? In my opinion, the young fellows in the pick up truck with the loud Barry Manilow music blasting are more likely to be pulled over... Nothing to do with racism...
Please let the LEOS weigh in.

My .02

Folks, If I offended anyone I humbly apologize.

Citizen,
Thank you and best regards.

CCJ

Last edited:

Primus

Citizen

Did you miss the part about rolling thru a stop sign? Did you miss the part about possible profiling by the LEO?

I am not condoning this method of police work nor am I claiming that a LEO that practice's this method of police work is a racist..

Two senior citizens of color roll thru a stop sign at 8pm on a not so busy road, on the opposite side of the road two young white fellows roll thru a stop sign in a fancy looking pick up truck with very loud Barry Manilow music playing... A LEO sitting in his/her patrol car observes the violations by both motorist.

What motorist do you feel has the bigger probably of being pulled over? In my opinion, the young fellows in the pick up truck with the loud Barry Manilow music blasting are more likely to be pulled over... Nothing to do with racism...

My .02

Folks, If I offended anyone I humbly apologize.

Citizen,
Thank you and best regards.

CCJ

Ccj your spot on again. I'm.not speaking for every or any other officer but personally I'd leave the old ladies alone. Don't care if they were green purple blue etc.

countryclubjoe

Ccj your spot on again. I'm.not speaking for every or any other officer but personally I'd leave the old ladies alone. Don't care if they were green purple blue etc.

What about old man? LOL ..

CCJ

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Citizen

Yes and no. I guess I forgot about it by the time I got back to it from the cop-bashing discussion. I apologize.

Thanks for the rest of the clarification. I was really worried there for a moment. :)

countryclubjoe

Yes and no. I guess I forgot about it by the time I got back to it from the cop-bashing discussion. I apologize.

Thanks for the rest of the clarification. I was really worried there for a moment. :)

Hi Citizen

Apologize accepted and many thanks for all the hard work you do here at OCDO... I look forward to reading many more of your post..

Best regards!

CCJ

sudden valley gunner

Hahaha, you justify unconstitutional pretext stops as necessary, to stop those who committed a crime, and then say what if you were wrong?

This is too funny. So you don't really have RAS or PC just suspicion so you use a "pretext" stop to investigate a crime that has nothing to do with your lie of the real stop.

That's why in Washington in the past the courts struck down pretext stops as unconstitutional. See folks how those who work for the system don't like the restraints put upon them and will use case law over constitutional law to invade the rights of others.

OC for ME

,snip> Plenty of cops still get duis and locked up for domestics and accident etc. Etc <snip>
Cops breaking the law under the color of law is my focus. Cops who break the law like any other citizen is not my focus. Cop shops do a good job holding citizens, who just happen to be employed as cops, accountable as any other citizen. Professional courtesy has a place at this table, just not when it comes to color of law unlawfulness. One egregious example is the Officer Harless incident where his associate simple stood there and did nothing at that moment. If any "counseling" or "advice" occured afterwards that is meaningless when the death threats were made.

What? Out of the whole paragraph you focus on that one bit?

Ma'am what you fail to realize is giw strict the law is and how many times you break it even by accident. You seen to dislike the ability to cut breaks. So are you suggesting that I ticket every single person I encounter with every infraction I find?

Every time a tire crosses a line.. every time you go through a yellow light every time you forget a blinker every time you speed even by just a mile or two over the limit by accident....

Really? You have no idea how many things I see on a nightly basis and just let it go. A lady didnt use her blinker? Well guess what she has 3 kids in the car and its 10 degress out... not stopping her. A guy goes through a yellow? Well he happens to be 70. Not stopping him in that case.

Why do you not see this as a good thing? This HELPS people.
Cop discretion is useful and should be available to the cop. This means that rights respecting cops can let citizens be. Thug cops use every little technical infraction to hold the citizenry in check.

<snip> Why is that the guy everyone bashes here as being a tyrant or thing is the one advocates for making a 100% concrete stop to ensure your not violating any rights?
Everyone is not bashing you, stop whining. Pretext stops have and will be useful in getting the "real BGs. The almost lack of uniformity throughout all of LE as to the application of technical infractions to "enforce the law." Not your fault, it is the system that has developed over the years. Any cop could not enforce stupid laws if they understand liberty first and then use their cop discretion to apply law that make sense.

<snip>The sad part is you have an Leo giving you a direct inside scoop as to what why and how stuff is legally being done currently. You respond by attacking saying "muddling up mistakes". <snip>
You are not divulging state secrets. Your "inside scoop" has been discussed many times here on OCDO. A appeal to expertise does not work here.

<snip>

What motorist do you feel has the bigger probability of being pulled over? In my opinion, the young fellows in the pick up truck with the loud Barry Manilow music blasting are more likely to be pulled over... Nothing to do with racism...

Call for back-up. The vehicle with the loud Barry Manilow is a member of a terror cell. Playing Barry Manilow, loudly, is a crime against humanity and the they certainly deserved to be fulled over, their stereo shot, summarily, and then they be subjected to roadside reeducation to a more acceptable musical artist.....such a Bocephus. Now, if Bocephus were being played loudly in the described truck, then the older couple is obviously running drugs from MI through OH and likely have a illegal secret compartment in the vehicle. Stop them and call in the Deming, New Mexico PD to conduct a search of their persons.

The more data that is made available that demonstrates that there are too many cops for the amount of crime that is being committed, cops will use "a tire crosses a line" to justify their employment and to generate revenue. It is not the beat cop that desires to generate revenue, it is their employer that needs revenue. Unfortunately beat cops like being employed so the "policies" will remain in place.