• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2nd Annual Open Carry, Key Center BBQ

WOD

I wish I could have made it there, but I was stuck standing in the rain, selling a car. If the buyer had come last Sunday, it would have been better all the way around...less rain. Oh well, dammit! The good news is, I have one less obstacle on the property to mow around.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

My reflections from Saturday....

First I want to thank Craig and his group of friends for funding and organizing this BBQ!

I Was surprized by the number of folks that were more than willing to DISPLY their guns.
My friend pulled his 357 to make a point of its weight compaired to another.
He tucked it back in before I had a chance to say a thing.
A guy showed a 9mm tied back from a a fanny pack, and I asked him why it was tied?
He said he came from the gun show. I told him to put it away.
Later I was talking to a rotound Lady, and I ask her,,, Are you left handed???
She pulled her Holstered revolver from her left side and said NO,,,
So I asked her if she had a CPL??? She said No!
So I told her that she shouldnt be HOLDING her GUN in her hand and to put it away..
So then I asked her her why she didnt have a CPL yet? So she tried but failed to explain
why she was not allowed to have a CPL, without explaining why she could have a gun.
Finally her hands were empty, but I couldnt help but notice that her gun was now ILLEGALLY concealled!
Later, I was again by the tied gun guy,,,and again he pulled it out to show to the guys,
This time he pulled out his KEYS to try to break the tie wrap that locked his gun...
I leaned in to get his attention, and gently told him,, that he should not be handeling his gun,,"out here"!
He put it back in his fanny pack.

off topic... I went to the booze store across the street.... Didnt buy,,,
46$ of booze cost 66$,,,I got it a QFC for 45$ on the way home.

It was great to see so many of my old friends,,, In order
Squeak, squeak
Jim, deros72
Craig, craig
Nick, gogodawgs

and the new guys
moteck

oh wow,,, I have run out of remembory..
there is a black hole in my brain where i used to store the things that i want to use again,
It is getting more betterer at not working,, in that more efficiancy to detract from the intended perpose...porpose?

ETA ..Ihad planned to be there at 2pm,,,but....
I had set my big ben wind up clock to go off at noon.
after the checking,,, I saw that it had indeed gone off at the right time but I slept though it...
I am so glad I woke up at 2, ran a comb through my hair, put on my stuff and got in the car.
Otherwise,,, I would have been soo much prettier and I would have had some COFFEE!!!

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I also want to say thanks to Craig and his group for organizing.

I also want to reiterate what 1245Defender saw. I also saw several (non OCDO) people handling firearms. I DO NOT CARE of they were tied, unloaded, etc... they were handled in a parking lot a few feet from the highway in a large crowd. At no time is this ok. There were plenty of trucks and vehicles where it would of been appropriate to show a newly purchased and unloaded firearm.

Craig, if you read this please make note of my comment. I will not attend in the future if guns are going to be handled in a public space.

rapgood

Would have loved to have made it, but my better half was having a "good weekend" away from chemo-therapy and wanted to go out to the wine country to do some tastings. We were "trapped" in the Columbia Winery Cellar Club room when the monsoons hit and were "forced" to stay there for some time until the torrents subsided. Difficult to tolerate, I know, but, someone had to do it!

Will be sure to make it to the BBQ next year!
--R

Mortech

Had a great time mysefl ,sorry about my friend who kept pulling out his CZ75B , it was ties because he apparently took it to the gunshow in order to be shown how to disassemble it . Even though I told him how when he first bought it . (I can't believe he pulled it out TWICE!)

Mann

Thank you all for coming out to the O.C. B.B.Q. I agree and understand these unholstering complaints! About 10 folks came from another organization and are ignorant of O.C. rules. I strongly disagree with the idea of uninformed people being told to "come on out". That will NOT happen again, I assure you.

massivedesign

I strongly disagree with the idea of uninformed people being told to "come on out". That will NOT happen again, I assure you.

Actually, we NEED uniformed people to come out.. That's what we are all about, to inform the uninformed. Learn from the mistakes and move forward. Next time, when it's posted on other sites etc, a little "Do & Don't" list may help people who didn't know, know. Maybe a little sign in sheet right under a poster board that has the "DO NOT UN-HOLSTER YOUR GUN" right above it...

DCKilla

I saw the lady and man pull out thier respective pistols for show and tell. It wasn't the smartest thing to do. OCDO promotes the safe open carry of handguns in holsters. Letting the new comers know about common courtesies pertaining to OC would be helpful. The first thing I learned about OC was not to handle the thing in public. Like said before, uniformed folks are welcome.

Trigger Dr

I would suggest that if you "invite" someone to attend as an OCer, make certain that you stress the protocol. Have them understand the "rules of conduct". We have enough problems with some of the posters on this forum and their attitudes, without adding to it with uninformed new members. Change them from uninformed to informed before they attend.

07Altima

Agreed

I think that posting of Rules would be good it would keep some of the liability off the group, and place it back to the individual. I think that Rules would be good because as we grow it is only going to see more, and more uninfomred needing clarification. This kind of thing is something they should never have done but I do have to say that we can get a little wood sign posted that weather proof :) can take it to any event, can help also may want people to take part in the sign in process so we can ensure they have acknowledged the rules/code of conduct! :)

DCKilla

I think word of mouth is best. We all know what conduct is required. So, brief your guest/s before the function.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Originally Posted by amzbrady
BTW, has anyone extended an invitation to Ralph Falicy? He is accepting friends on his facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ralph.fascitelli. He looks like a BBQ kinda guy.

Done....

Ralph,
We at Open Carry Washington extend an invitation to you and your friends to join us at our Second Annual BBQ gathering in Key Center (over the bridge from Gig Harbor). You need to bring nothing but yourselves and a hearty appetite. Hope to see you there, Bill

Received a reply on Sunday while at the Olympia OCDO BBQ. Here is his reply:

Ralph Fascitelli

• William. Just saw this. Appreciate the kind courtesy. But think I would be the proverbial skunk at the garden party. Hope we can find common ground. Regards ralph