• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'8 yr old killed self with uzi' necropost thread closed

eye95

imported post

OK. I will open a debate thread and lay some ground rules. I hope that the other members of the board will respect the debate format and not add their posts.

swine

imported post

Hello Marshaul. eye95 and I are trying to set up a one-on-one debate about this. I intend to defend my end in that debate. So patience please.

swine

imported post

Yes, I could start another discussion, but I'm unsteady about doing that. I don't even know quite how I started this one, if it was me who did it. But I'll try. Can you give me some tips?

buster81

imported post

swine wrote:
What I want to debate is whether liberalization (I know you guys hate that word) of 'open carry' restrictions (i.e. relaxing the restrictions) increases risks to children (and other's unqualified to carry, BTW).

Your proposed, 'less vague' statement of the issue suggests that existing 'restrictions' or lack thereof poses a risk to children. I wholeheartedly agree with that proposition, but that's not what I want to debate. My concern is with the FURTHER losening of restriction that would take the form of 'open carry'.

AND, by EOD Friday at the latest I will post my 'opening statement' whether or not we haved settled on the contestants and format and stipulations. An opening statement never hurt anyone.
Which Friday?

swine

imported post

Don't be nervous, it'll be fun. Nobody gets hurt in a debate. Maybe your ego a bit (or mine!), but we're big boys.

So, eye95, do you think I should post my opening statement right here or in a new thread? Do you want to open the thread or should I?

swine

imported post

Sorry, eye95 prevailed on me to wait a bit. We're ready to go now though.

buster81

imported post

buster81 wrote:
swine wrote:
3. It is possible to conceive of, design, and mass produce personal protection tools (weapons) that are far superior to guns as we know them, and far safer besides.
Could you start another discussion on this one? I'm dying to find out about these new personal defense inventions.
And while you are at it, can you let us in on the self defence inventions?

eye95

imported post

buster81 wrote:
buster81 wrote:
swine wrote:
3. It is possible to conceive of, design, and mass produce personal protection tools (weapons) that are far superior to guns as we know them, and far safer besides.
Could you start another discussion on this one? I'm dying to find out about these new personal defense inventions.
And while you are at it, can you let us in on the self defence inventions?
"Phasers set to stun, gentlemen."

"Don't phase me, bro!"

swine

imported post

Well, I have such a device as it happens. It's a compressed air 'gun' about the size of one of those old Nokia cell phones, and it fits in a cell phone carrier pack on your belt or in your purse. It fires a projectile at high velocity and surprising accuracy up to about 15 feet (further than that, things are a bit dicy). The projectile is aboutthe size of a #2 pencil leadand one inch long. The projectiles are madeof caustic and toxic materials the composition of which I don't care to disclose here. They disintegrate after penetration impact (or they're supposed to), and cause immediate and intense pain and toxic shock toa live target.The device can hold up to ten projectiles. Furtherexperiments toimprove the composition of the projectiles is underway, also the launcher. So far it has only been tested on a pig. The pig survived but probably wished it hadn't.

The device makes very little noise when fired. There is almost no recoil. It has a safety which can be released quickly and easily with the thumb. It is legal to carry as far as I know, maybe because nobody knows what it is until/unless they get shot with it. It isn't intended to be a lethal weapon, but a disabling one. It couldtheoretically kill if it made a direct hit on the heart or brain, but it wouldn't penetrate a skull veryfar, maybe an eye though - haven't tried that.

What else would like to know? You can't get one yet, unless you make it yourself, because we're still developing it.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sounds like an interesting device, and if its works as you describe I have no doubt it will find its niche.

However, I think you neglect the value of potential lethality as a deterrent.

The vast majority of the time a citizen draws a gun in self-defense, no shots are fired. Do you really think that will be the case with your device? Do you really think *I* am safer hoping your device works as intended, than I am if I can deter the assailant outright before force is exchanged?

Also, it occurs to me there is some societal value for allowing would-be victims to kill their attackers, in addition to the enhanced deterrent effect of potential lethality. It creates an evolutionary stress on violent tendencies, which should eventually select for nonviolent tendencies. You know, evolution guided by social realities, for the good of everyone, without the Hitlerian use of overt eugenics. :p

The goal of OC is to create a society where, although everyone may, and many will choose to, carry a gun, few will ever actually need to use theirs.

Do you really think your device is capable of creating such a society? I do not. But I do believe the keeping and bearing of deadly weapons is.

Ultimately, it is an expression of the citizen's autonomy and independence that he be allowed to possess the means to violently kill another. I'll point out that few tyrants have been non-lethally poisoned into submission. A free people need to maintain the ability to kill each other. Government's object should be the incentivization of nonlethal dispute resolution, in recognition of this occasionally unpleasant necessity.

buster81

imported post

swine wrote:
Well, I have such a device as it happens. It's a compressed air 'gun' about the size of one of those old Nokia cell phones, and it fits in a cell phone carrier pack on your belt or in your purse. It fires a projectile at high velocity and surprising accuracy up to about 15 feet (further than that, things are a bit dicy). The projectile is aboutthe size of a #2 pencil leadand one inch long. The projectiles are madeof caustic and toxic materials the composition of which I don't care to disclose here. They disintegrate after penetration impact (or they're supposed to), and cause immediate and intense pain and toxic shock toa live target.The device can hold up to ten projectiles. Furtherexperiments toimprove the composition of the projectiles is underway, also the launcher. So far it has only been tested on a pig. The pig survived but probably wished it hadn't.

The device makes very little noise when fired. There is almost no recoil. It has a safety which can be released quickly and easily with the thumb. It is legal to carry as far as I know, maybe because nobody knows what it is until/unless they get shot with it. It isn't intended to be a lethal weapon, but a disabling one. It couldtheoretically kill if it made a direct hit on the heart or brain, but it wouldn't penetrate a skull veryfar, maybe an eye though - haven't tried that.

What else would like to know? You can't get one yet, unless you make it yourself, because we're still developing it.

What are you planning on calling this invention? Does it auto load the ten rounds?Who is going to protect the children from this device?

Based on the info so far, this sounds like an inferior self defence tool to me. I'll stick with my plan.

buster81

imported post

swine wrote:
Ok, I hope I'm doing this right. Here's my opening statement:

When I was about 10 years old I discovered a revolver in my dad's bottom dresser drawer. I don't know the brand or vintage or caliber. It may have been a .38 but to me it was just a revolver and it was a long time ago. I found it fascinating. I played with it the way a kid that age will play with dump trucks. I pretended to be a gangster or a cop or whatever, making 'pish, pish' noises while I pointed it at various imaginary opponents.

Some years later I was a freshman in high school. Balboa High in San Francisco was more like a minimum security prison than a school in those days, and I was bullied at that school. One day I thought I would sneak my dad's gun out of the drawer and take it with me to impress my friends and to show it to one or two of the bullies. If I was thinking at all, I was thinking that this might make me seem more of a 'player' and less of a ‘geek’, and maybe the bullies would leave me alone. That part worked Ok, but it didn't matter too much because I was ratted out to the principal and I was expelled. I was also put on juvenile detention and had to take a whole year of high school from home while checking in regularly at the detention center, popularly known as 'Juvie'. My father was not a 'player'. He was a very gentle man - an Evangelical Minister as it happens. I have no idea why he kept a gun in his dresser or where he got it from, or why. We never talked about any of this. He let the 'authorities' do the job of learning me my lesson and disciplining me for my dangerous behavior (my foolishness actually). I think he also felt a bit guilty having a gun so readily accessible to his curious son.

These days, in the days of 'open carry' permissiveness, none of this would have been a problem. I could have just gone down to City Hall, or wherever, and gotten my license to ‘carry’ and everything would have been fine, but in those days, it was considered very bad news for a 12 or 13 year old kid to carry a loaded firearm on his person. Actually, in all seriousness, I think it still is, so what I mean by an 'unresolved issue' is the question as to whether or not children should be granted 'open carry' licenses in order to combat bullying in school and other such nuisances, such as kidnapping and sexual molestation. I would guess not, but the question remains, why not? And if the overall objective of 'open carry' legalization is to permit folks to protect themselves, then who's going to protect the children, the elderly, and the disabled who, for various reasons, probably can't get an 'open carry' license, and none of us would want them to have one anyway?

I’ve heard it said that those not qualified for an ‘open carry’ license can be protected by those who are qualified, but that would seem to mean that all the unqualifieds would need to hire a body guard or stay within firing range of their parents 24/7. That doesn’t seem practical to me.

So, my position with regard to ‘open carry’ legalization is that it can remain a fantasy but not a reality until this issue, the intersection of guns and children, is thoroughly and satisfactorily resolved.

Since I95 set up the rules and won't let anyone play in his special sandbox, I'll bring it over here. My only comment is:

ROTFLOL.

swine

imported post

Sorry, what's ROTFLOL mean? I guess the LOL part meants 'laugh out lout' but what's the ROTF part? Is it 'dirty'?

swine

imported post

Your philosopy would be called 'strategic deterrance' or something like that, like the cold war doctrine of both opponents having 'overkill' capability that prevented each other from actually using their weapons. That hurts me intellectually in many ways. What's the point of all that terrific technology and fine craftsmanship that goes into making a modern 'gun' (or whatever you want to call it), if you can't actually use the damn thing except at target practice, or in your fantasies about some future confrontation where you are 'tragicly forced' against your peaceful preference to actually deploy (fire) your weapon and kill somebody?

Id rather have a weapon that disables without killing and can be used with a good conscience whenever I'm attacked by somebody, not just to make them back down but to 'put them down'. I don't actually know which philosophy makes anybody safer, but a protective weapon that doesn't kill feels better to me.

Plus there is some 'deterrance' potential in the air gun to the extent that if they became popular, then assault minded people out there might think twice about launching an assault in the first place, lest the intended victim have one of the devices on them. Of course, they also might shoot first for the same reason. We'll see.

slowfiveoh

imported post

swine wrote:
Sorry, what's ROTFLOL mean? I guess the LOL part meants 'laugh out lout' but what's the ROTF part? Is it 'dirty'?
There are glaring and obvious problems with your assessment of the situation, and without trying to be insulting, it is enormously apparent you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

To fill you in, ROTFLOL is an acronym; Rolling on the floor laughing out loud

You see why the acronym has its uses online. That's quite a bit to type to express comical response to oft hysterical statements.

Swine. I wish you the best with your project. I hope it meets great financial success, and has a positive impact on society. Perhaps it can be more meaningful to carry than pepper spray, or tasers. After all, pepper spray can be acclimated to, and tasers/stunguns require you to practically be in distance to hug your attacker.

Life is not always so nice.

Your entire positioning throughout the thread has been one wherein you express your concern for your children. Swine, you are not the only one who has ever expressed concern for children.

I have a daughter, and I love her more than anything I can think of in this world. That is why I have firearms in my home. That is why once she is able, I will fully involve her in my shooting activities. This helps assuage and placate curiosity that would arise out of, and be driven by, daddies "secrecy" surrounding firearms, were I to choose not to involve her whatsoever. It helps to avoid instances like your own, where a child unfamiliar with a dangerous item, pulls it out and plays with it like a Tonka dump truck.

It worked for me.

My father took me out to fire his .30-30, SKS, and other varying assorted rifles and shotguns we had through the years. He did the same with my sisters.

Perhaps my father understood the importance of this in this regard, as when he was 8 years old, he stuck his finger in the tip of a buddies fathers .22 revolver, and pulled the trigger. He learned an important lesson that day, one that shaped how he would raise his own children.

Instead of pretending that firearms don't exist, he understood from personal experience that it was far more important to teach proper firearms familiarization, than to pretend that they do not exist, and hiding behind empty words was not going to offer any gratification whatsoever

Empty words like, "Think of the children".

Frankly, my dad did. That's why I was raised in a household of firearms, and we never even had anything whatsoever go wrong. Using a firearm was as familiar, and safe, as eating with a fork, making our beds, and doing our homework.

It shocks me how we teach our kids to...:

...not run with scissors
...not eat medicine out of the medicine cabinet
...not run across the street without looking both ways and making sure its safe to cross first
...not go off with strangers
...memorize long strings of numbers so they can contact us wherever we are.
...not play with knives

,and a million other life lessons. Yet, people would have you believe, based on their own lack of familiarity of firearms, that you should not ever, for any reason touch, handle, or use a firearm.

I wonder.

How many times has the statement, "Oh God think of the children" been used to describe accidents that involve any of the aforementioned life interactions?

It's ok. Everybody needs an inanimate object to blame for personal loss. God forbid they have to accept personal responsibility for actions, with no device to defer blame to.

Edit: You responded while typing, my responses below:

swine wrote:
Your philosopy would be called 'strategic deterrance' or something like that, like the cold war doctrine of both opponents having 'overkill' capability that prevented each other from actually using their weapons. That hurts me intellectually in many ways. What's the point of all that terrific technology and fine craftsmanship that goes into making a modern 'gun' (or whatever you want to call it), if you can't actually use the damn thing except at target practice, or in your fantasies about some future confrontation where you are 'tragicly forced' against your peaceful preference to actually deploy (fire) your weapon and kill somebody?
The term you are thinking of is actually referred to as M.A.D., or "Mutually Assured Destruction".

The gap you are trying to build a bridge across, is one that links the ecologically and globally disasterous prospect of chained explosions of high yield nuclear warheads, to that of the common firearm, which has probably .00000000000000001% of the collateral damage potential.

I am sorry but this point of view does little to further the argument on your behalf. Very little indeed.

As to the utilization of the "modern gun", it would be a poignant argument if in fact the use of a firearm did not save lives with no collateral damage whatsoever every year.

In fact, FBI estimates with researched substantiation place the use somewhere north of 1,000,000 times a year in the US, that a firearm is used to save a life.

Strategic planning is also a part of life swine. It is the reality of our existence that some people want to, or will want to harm you. No matter how much you believe in auras, or karma, reality always reminds you that life is chaotic.

Ask the people of Virginia Tech.

swine wrote:
Id rather have a weapon that disables without killing and can be used with a good conscience whenever I'm attacked by somebody, not just to make them back down but to 'put them down'. I don't actually know which philosophy makes anybody safer, but a protective weapon that doesn't kill feels better to me.
In order to actual enforce any sort of meaningful resistance to those who wish you mortal harm, you must be able to fight back on the same level.

Weapons the likes of which you are researching and developing are not as effective as a deterrent.

The taking of a life is never a good thing swine, I assure you.

However, it is the very threat of mortality that restrains, restricts, or otherwise empowers a human being to respond with the utmost available pressure, to a situation where their life may be in danger.

Philosophical is wonderful swine. I prize the intellectual.

But being a dead philosopher is the same as being a dead soldier.

May smugness and superiority follow to the afterlife. I am sure it will be of utmost importance there.

swine wrote:
Plus there is some 'deterrance' potential in the air gun to the extent that if they became popular, then assault minded people out there might think twice about launching an assault in the first place, lest the intended victim have one of the devices on them. Of course, they also might shoot first for the same reason. We'll see.
Don't miss.

You might find yourself receiving something far more lethal than a toxin dipped dart.

Just like the depths of the ocean to a diver, or the wide open Sahara to a hiker, a copper jacketed round traveling at supersonic speeds has little concern for philosophy. Either will end your life with no concern for your moral concerns or stipulations.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

swine wrote:
Your philosopy would be called 'strategic deterrance' or something like that, like the cold war doctrine of both opponents having 'overkill' capability that prevented each other from actually using their weapons.  That hurts me intellectually in many ways. What's the point of all that terrific technology and fine craftsmanship that goes into making a modern 'gun' (or whatever you want to call it), if you can't actually use the damn thing except at target practice,
Hey, what's wrong with target practice? The car is primarily intended as a transportation device, but that doesn't stop people from designing finely crafted machines with no useful function except to have fun repeatedly traveling the same quarter mile as fast as possible. No more useful than target practice, but it doesn't detract from the technology and craftsmanship.

And, remember, it is important (or so I argue) to *maintain* the ability to wield effectively deadly force, so the utility of the firearm remains, even where the ideal scenario is one without bloodshed.

or in your fantasies about some future confrontation where you are 'tragicly forced' against your peaceful preference to actually deploy (fire) your weapon and kill somebody?
If I were *forced* to violate my peaceful preference, then at that point it's likely appropriate for me to respond with force which is potentially lethal. Anybody who would force me to pull the trigger... what would they do to an unarmed victim?

Id rather have a weapon that disables without killing and can be used with a good conscience whenever I'm attacked by somebody, not just to make them back down but to 'put them down'.  I don't actually know which philosophy makes anybody safer, but a protective weapon that doesn't kill feels better to me. 
Then I would fully support your carrying a nonlethal means of self-defense, and wouldn't suggest for a minute that *you* carry a gun. What I ask in return is that you extend me the same courtesy. :)

Plus there is some 'deterrance' potential in the air gun to the extent that if they became popular, then assault minded people out there might think twice about launching an assault in the first place, lest the intended victim have one of the devices on them.  Of course, they also might shoot first for the same reason.  We'll see.
Oh, no doubt. But I maintain that, in an equivalent scenario with lethal firearms, the deterrent effect will remain greater due to the knowledge that, if you get caught by a prepared would-be victim, you'll end up dead rather than just with a bad day on your hands.