• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

911 Calls - Don't Dispatch If No Crime

WalkingWolf

hi wolf.
i made a shots fired call in lincoln county, nc and the sherrif deputy came out and investigated.
it was at night and very close to my house. and sounded like a high powered rifle.
yes it is illeagle to hunt deer at night, but nobody knows why the person fired a gun that night. it was only assumed it was a deer poacher.

Harnett county in the last couple years adopted a no gunfire after 11PM law, other than that we hear shots all the time. It is pretty much common in the country. They never dispatch unless a crime is involved. I have dispatched several predators of a night over the years in the middle of the night, and not once has a deputy been sent out. Different counties obviously handle it differently then others. The only time I get concerned over shots fired at anytime is when they are at me. And considering that it takes a deputy usually 15 minutes to answer a call it will be too late by the time they get here.

JediSkipdogg

Do you know what the reasoning is behind doing so? It is because "the world's going to hell"?

No clue. When my guys have questioned why we do it (as in road patrol units) they have been told by the higher ups (command staff) to "Just do it, what else do you have going on? If you are busy, advise another unit to pick it up." So have never gotten a real reason on why.

papa bear

Do you know what the reasoning is behind doing so? It is because "the world's going to hell"?

No clue. When my guys have questioned why we do it (as in road patrol units) they have been told by the higher ups (command staff) to "Just do it, what else do you have going on? If you are busy, advise another unit to pick it up." So have never gotten a real reason on why.

justification for spending. if they spend all their money, they will get more next time

Brian D.

Well, there are a few other dedicated fire emergency dispatch centers in Hamilton County (forgot about those)....

Hamilton County Communications Center
Cincinnati PD Communications Center
Amberly Valley Dispatch (now also serving Silverton and Deer Park Fire)
Northeast Communications Center (Loveland/Symmes)
Norwood Communications Center

Some reason I keep wanting to think there's another one with Reading, but not fully sure. I know Hamilton County and NECC (which cover the most) both dispatch a police with an EMS unit. It's the policy for those two dispatch centers. No, police can disregard. I would say we do "have fire advise" about 25% of the time and show up after the squad leaves another 25% of the time. We don't rush to squad runs unless absolutely needed.

Just wanted to throw that correction out there.

In my 'burg the police chief or safety director sometimes reads into the council meeting minutes, a total of runs the PD "responded to". Saying they'll show up to an EMS run, whether or not they actually do get there, pads the numbers. In some cases I have gotten back from making an ambulance run and received a call from the PD asking for info about the run. If I knew that the PD didn't show up on that call I'd tell them it was none of their business and suggest they stop trying to pad their numbers.

In one instance it was the police chief himself pulling that trick and I answered him exactly as described above. Man did he come unglued.