• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9mm vs .45ACP effectiveness explained

simmonsjoe

imported post

4sooth wrote:
Here are some easy to use formulas for computing muzzle energy.

Velocity squared x bullet weight in grains x .0000022104= ft. lbs. of energy.

Velocity squared x bullet weight in grains divided by 450240= ft. lbs. of energy.

The two formulas are within 1% or less of each other so for every day use are interchangeable.

Out of my Glock 17 the Cor-Bon ammo I use for self defense is traveling 1340 ft. per. sec., according to my chronograph. So--using formula # 1 this is about 454 ft. lbs. of energy.

G.I. hard ball going 830 ft. per sec. out of my gov. model gives 351 ft. lbs. using formula # 2.
This is called obfuscation. Why in the heck are you comparing super hot Cor-Bon ammo to standard hardball??

Cor-Bon .45ACP self defense ammo runs 461-573 ft.lbs. depending on bullet weight.

Upon reading on these forums, what made you think we were unintelligent enough that you could compare apples to oranges and not get called out on it?