• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A question not asked: Forensics in Zimmerman case..

Trap

I have beed reading all the post and taking in all your thoughts. I have only this to say about the whole thing, Mr. Z should have never left His Car. Now with that being said, I know him doing so is not a crime, but all of this would not be an issue
if he would have not wanted to be a cowboy. Plain and simple. Now does he derserve to be convicted? I don't know. Should he be held accountable for leaving the car to begin with? no that is not a crime either.I just think a life could have not ended for what ever reason it did if he would have called it in and left it at that. Black,white, brown makes no difference to me, the right and wrong does. I don't hate Mr.Z for what happened, i think he just made a bad choice and now has to live with it. and i would think he has thought a lot about why didn't i just stay in the car.

I happen to think we need a few more cowboys who will stand up for what is right. I am tired of people getting away with crap because citizens are to timmid to stand up and say enough is enough. I am not saying that Martin was doing anything wrong, he may in fact have been headed home with his skittles and iced tea. If he was scared why didn't he call the police since he had a cell phone on him? From what I have read it sounds like he decided to be Billy Badass on Zimmerman and got shot for it. It is a tragic situation and could have been avoided in several ways. The problem is hindsight is 20/20. Let the courts handle it from here.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The problem is hindsight is 20/20. Let the courts handle it from here.

The problem is that it should not be "in the courts." Local law enforcement and the local prosecutor examined the evidence and the law and made the right call by deciding not to press charges. The state prosecutor who decided to press charges is grandstanding on Zimmerman's back, probably at the request of the White House or the U.S. DOJ, and if not, simply because she wants to make a name for herself. It's a political goat-rope that should not be happening.

Unlawful prosecution is still illegal in this country!

Redbaron007

The problem is that it should not be "in the courts." Local law enforcement and the local prosecutor examined the evidence and the law and made the right call by deciding not to press charges. The state prosecutor who decided to press charges is grandstanding on Zimmerman's back, probably at the request of the White House or the U.S. DOJ, and if not, simply because she wants to make a name for herself. It's a political goat-rope that should not be happening.

Unlawful prosecution is still illegal in this country!

I agree with everything you said.

However, I will add, after watching the CATO Institute video on SYG (one speaker is a Prosecuting Atty), this also may be an attempt by the prosecutors (in general) to try and poke holes in the SYG laws. It is clear that prosecutor does not like or care for the Florida SYG; he loved to use the word 'immunity' in a negative context.

ncwabbit

we all know if Z is found not guilty the feds will come in and try Z for violating the civil rights of M...

wabbit

ps: grapeshot, you mean there is an outside chance the media has mislead us and not provided full disclosure to their customers? Oh, the humanity!! (1905 Morrison)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
....you mean there is an outside chance the media has mislead us and not provided full disclosure to their customers? Oh, the humanity!! (1905 Morrison)

And the Hindenburg did not burst into flames and crash.

Beretta92FSLady

"SANFORD, Fla. — A judge is considering whether to raise or revoke the bond for George Zimmerman after his lawyer told the judge a website raised $200,000 for the defense.
Mark O'Mara told the judge Friday that Zimmerman's family hadn't told him about the money before his client was given $150,000 bond"
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2018085105_apusneighborhoodwatch.html

So, Zimmerman might be thrown back into jail because some website raised 200,000 bucks for his defense. The media is having a field-day with this. Only today would having sufficient funds to battle the State in court would result in you potentially having your bail revoked.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Isn't the typical fee for a bond 10%? That being the case $20,000 should be enough.

Apparently the judge will either increase the bond, or revoke the bail and have Zimmerman sit in jail; apparently Zimmerman is being held responsible because someone else raised the money for him. I wonder if the prosecutor plans on going after Zimmerman for being the second gunman on the Grassy Knoll.

OC for ME

Judge: Not only is it alleged, Mr. Zimmerman, that you shot Martin, it is also alleged that you did not attempt to render aid unto him after you allegedly shot him. Then it is also alleged that someone else has raised money on your behalf. Back in the cooler for you....

Beretta92FSLady

Judge: Not only is it alleged, Mr. Zimmerman, that you shot Martin, it is also alleged that you did not attempt to render aid unto him after you allegedly shot him. Then it is also alleged that someone else has raised money on your behalf. Back in the cooler for you....

Funny you mention that: After I shot, I wanted to walk over and render assistance, but didn't. I was afraid that people might think I was finishing him off or something. So I just stood there and stared like everyone else.

I could see myself rendering assistance, the guy dying then me being charged with tampering with the so-called 'victim.'

Last edited:

Redbaron007

It appears the judge is using some common sense and not the media frenzy material.

He's at least going to review the material and make a decision at a later date.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How does the need for a bond to guarantee a court appearance change with the ability to raise said bond?

In this instance, the flight risk/failure to appear would seem to be unchanged. So what would the judge see as essential to review?

We-the-People

Please, correct me if I'm wrong......

Wasn't Zimmerman outside the state and RETURNED to turn himself in when he learned that they would be charging him?

If that is truly the case then the courst should have recognized his honesty, asked for his passport if he has one, and released him OR. Bail is only intended to guarantee appearance.

We-the-People

That's the theory. Unfortunately, bail is often used as a punitive measure.

The notion of raising bail in order to strip the defendant of the means to fund his defense is particularly odious.

To your first point, that indeed appears to be the case at times. Since most people can't just write a check for the bail amount, they're ou 10% or whatever the bail bondsman (most states) demands in order to post the bail. Here in Oregon the state owns the "bail system" and there are no bail bondsmen. Then, when your charges are dropped or you're aquitted, there are numerous cases of the state trying to keep the money. It's rediculous.

To your second point, it is beyond the pale and wreaks of tyranny at its worst! Manipulating the system, under the monopoly of force, to deprive a citizen of one of their most basic rights!

I read an article on the case earlier and am glad to see that the attorney has taken steps to insulate Z from the social media as well as the fundraising. With the attention this case has garnered and the terrorist threats against Z it is in his best interests to be as difficult to find as possible. Of course he has to be "visible" to the authorities which causes some concern about "leaks" which could endanger his life.

rushcreek2

Subsequent to the revelation of donations on Zimmerman's behalf, the web-site was taken down on the advice of his attorney "in order to ensure control of all information relating to the case."

I expect another venue will shortly be set up for those of us who want to continue helping Zimmerman.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I wonder if the prosecutor plans on going after Zimmerman for being the second gunman on the Grassy Knoll.

Would you believe the unknown soldier?

How does the need for a bond to guarantee a court appearance change with the ability to raise said bond?

It doesn't.

In this instance, the flight risk/failure to appear would seem to be unchanged. So what would the judge see as essential to review?

The only thing the judge has appeared to review to date are yesterday's meals.

Last edited:

csiguy55

Very interesting

I think that what you are saying is very interesting but like others have said it would be very hard to explain this to the masses of people that are following this case. I do think that the forensics aspect of this case was huge and It was hard to prove certain parts but very evident on what happened with others. I think even knowing his lawyers bailed so quick on him and he was no where to be found, shows something was fishy about this whole case. It's crazy to me how it all blew up in the media and I would be curious to see what XXXXXXXX would have to say about the case or if they had any involvement into the scene. In my eyes this along with so many other cases brings me back to the forensics and what actually took place at the crime scene. In order to solve these mysteries, crimes, and wrong doings, we have to trust our forensics team and government practice. Although this was not the case at all with this case obviously as it was the biggest media story of the year, I still believe we have to have better forensics teams available to solve a case like this. If you are interested in studying in this field, please check out XXXXXXX which answers different questions you might have on the industry, different programs that are out there for you to study in and also career opportunities.

This case was a major case in the US and like many people have pointed out, something wasn't right and it was not handled the best way by our court system and forensics team. I think going into something like this is very interesting as everyday will bring you a new challenge and keep you on your toes.

--Moderator Comment--
The edited portion is considered spamming on OCDO. Exceptions may be made only when there is a direct application to OC or RKBA.

Last edited by a moderator: