• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Study of Handgun Stopping Power

scott58dh

I would recommend reading Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's book, "On Combat" where he explains, in detail, how auditory exclusion works when the human body is under stress. He also cites several studies that have been conducted that support his analysis. It's very likely that in a true life-threatening situation where you had to fire your gun in self defense, that you would never even hear those shots being fired. Furthermore, it's also likely that you would suffer no hearing loss whatsoever from those shots. The human body, under stress, does some pretty amazing things.

I have experienced *auditory exclusion*, only in a more controled & peacful setting, playing football in High School.

I do remember when that moment comes that *your mind* tends to block out EVERYTHING (crowd noise, sideline distractions & etc.) except what you're focused on at the time.

So, yeah, I'll just chalk up my momentary lapse of rational reasoning to discharge a firearm *** For The Fun Of It*** & pass along the newly acquired wisdom to newbies and such which I shall meet along lifes' journey.

mwaterous

Besides added dB levels, I have some other issues with ported guns for defensive carry. Certainly not something I would choose for defensive use.

For somebody not in the know (such as .... me!) what issues do you have with ported guns, especially in the case of defensive carry? My wife has a snub nose .357 that has 3 ports on either side of the front side for a total of six. I'm not expecting her to ever have to shoot somebody at 50 yards with it, but at 5-10 yards it seems to be quite accurate.

cshoff

For somebody not in the know (such as .... me!) what issues do you have with ported guns, especially in the case of defensive carry? My wife has a snub nose .357 that has 3 ports on either side of the front side for a total of six. I'm not expecting her to ever have to shoot somebody at 50 yards with it, but at 5-10 yards it seems to be quite accurate.

The two biggest issues I have with ported barrels for defensive use is the fact that they generally direct the bulk of the muzzle flash right in your line of sight, which, in low-light conditions can cause temporary vision impairment. Secondly, they are notorious for exhausting particulates (unburnt powder, shavings from the jacket or lead bullet, etc) along with the excess pressure they are scrubbing off. If you think about having to shoot an attacker that is right on top of you, when you must shoot from a retention position, right up close to your body, it is very possible to get a shot of those flying particulates right in your eyes, again, causing temporary (or perhaps worse) vision impairment. I've even experienced situations on a shooting range where, even with shooting glasses on, someone has ended up with particulates in their eyes from a ported gun. IMO, they are a poor solution to a very rare problem, and the disadvantages might well outweigh the advantages. That said, some designs are certainly much better than others.

Merlin

On the topic of ported barrels and noise...

Weatherby .300wby-mag + Accubrake + Covered public range = "Holy ****, who's shooting the cannon!"

Its not a .50 BMG, but you might think it is for a sec.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

mwaterous

@cshoff, thank you for the heads up. The next time I was heading out with my wife I was planning on teaching her to shoot from close to the body. I am still going to, but I'll let her use my XD and add your information to the 'instruction'. :)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
A more minor point for some and a non-issue for others is that you are not supposed to fire the snake-shot loads through a ported handgun. When I am hiking in the desert summer, I often use a snake-shot load as my first round.

jdholmes

A more minor point for some and a non-issue for others is that you are not supposed to fire the snake-shot loads through a ported handgun. When I am hiking in the desert summer, I often use a snake-shot load as my first round.

I have been wanting to pick some of that up.