• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A time when I wish I had my sidearm......

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

Hamil1 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Mike wrote:
I deleted all the posts with f words today. the thread is related to guns, but come on folks...

Thanks Mike. We don't need profane language here.

As far as the guy being a nutjob and the sight of the weapon being a deterrent, I am not going to be convinced of that. My dad was killed with his own service revolver because of a guy who suffered from parnoid schizophrenia. Guys like the one Compmanio encountered are, as far as I am concerned, the most dangerous people any of us will encounter. They typically live in a fantasy world driven by thier illness and on top of that they alsousually exhibit super strengths and immunity to things such as capsicum and tasers.

These people are not to be taken lightly. They need to be taken as a serious threat everytime we encounter one. By no means am I saying to pull your weapon on them everytime but we need to be extra aware during encounters with them.
I would like to just interject thatthe reference to the mentally ill as "crazies" and "nutjobs" is as offensive as the use of profanity and does just as much to impress one's level ofprejudice towards that group of individuals as when the antigun consortium refer to "firearms enthusiasts" as "gun nuts." Enough of the name calling. As for the most dangerous personsone might encounter, those with untreated schizophrenia and/or other mental illnesses don't hold a candle to a true sociopath or an antisocial. Reason is, that those in the last catagory are able to reason and act without any reservation and for their objective gain, and afterwards smile while explaining why, without any remorse...
does EPD (emotionally disturbed person) work for you?

oh and btw most dangerous person is one that is under the influence of PCP.....i have had two encounters with people on PCP, neither time was i armed, but i sure wish that i had been or had the national guard behind me!!

happy carrying,

Jason

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

openryan wrote:
looks as if we are in agreement.... :)
+1000000000000000000!

last summer i worked at the rappahannock regional jail in stafford as an intern.

when i saw a 5'5" 140lb guy doing pushups with 2 250lb+ guards on his back, and it took 2 more guards of similar size to restrain him, i asked myself if my 9mm ruger would have been enough?

i still own the ruger, but i carry a .357mag

happy carrying,

Jason

Hamil1

imported post

Jason wrote "does EPD (emotionally disturbed person) work for you?

oh and btw most dangerous person is one that is under the influence of PCP.....i have had two encounters with people on PCP, neither time was i armed, but i sure wish that i had been or had the national guard behind me!!

happy carrying"

Jason, I hear you... as I work with both groups of peoplereferred to, on a daily basis, I can honestly say that there is potential for aberrant behaviors in either population. I refer to the cold calculating of the sociopath and/or antisocial as more dangerous because there are no outward signs that they are dangerous until too late. The previous two catagories exhibit numerous signs to those astute enough to notice (read "he was acting unusual" or "he threatened me for no reason" or "he appeared to be hearing voices"). I would rather deal with these people all day than to deal with a true sociopathic presentation.

OK. I also wish safe and happy carrying for you and everyone on the forum.

CHEERS!

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

Hamil1 wrote:

happy carrying"

Jason, I hear you... as I work with both groups of peoplereferred to, on a daily basis, I can honestly say that there is potential for aberrant behaviors in either population. I refer to the cold calculating of the sociopath and/or antisocial as more dangerous because there are no outward signs that they are dangerous until too late. The previous two catagories exhibit numerous signs to those astute enough to notice (read "he was acting unusual" or "he threatened me for no reason" or "he appeared to be hearing voices"). I would rather deal with these people all day than to deal with a true sociopathic presentation.

CHEERS!
that's a big 10-4 good buddy!

joeroket

imported post

Hamil1 wrote:

happy carrying"

CHEERS!
Like I said before, you will not convince me that schizophrenics are not some of the most dangerous people. And as far as calling them a nutjob well I don't really care what you think, as I was referring to what a previous poster had said and you decided to jump on me. Yes I am prejudice towards them. My fathers life was taken by one of these people. Forgive me if I don't care about them.

Hamil1

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Hamil1 wrote:

happy carrying"

CHEERS!
Like I said before, you will not convince me that schizophrenics are not some of the most dangerous people. And as far as calling them a nutjob well I don't really care what you think, as I was referring to what a previous poster had said and you decided to jump on me. Yes I am prejudice towards them. My fathers life was taken by one of these people. Forgive me if I don't care about them.
Glad you can stick by your convictions man!

gregma

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Had a little incident this morning as I was walking to work from the train station in Seattle. As I crossed the street to the other side of Weller, some guy pops out from behind a truck and starts yelling at me to "mind your own business", along with some obscenities and name calling, he kept telling me he was going to "kick my ass", etc. I was like, whoa, what did I do to you? Kinda caught me off guard, but I recovered and said "What are you talking about? I think you have the wrong person." He just kept on about me "minding my own business" and he was "going to kick my ass". When he started towards me, I pulled what I had, which was my OC (pepper spray) and told him he'd better just turn right around and keep walking. He stood there calling me names for a minute but didn't come any further, then turned and walked down 5th towards the bus tunnel. I kept an eye over my shoulder but walked towards work. Came across a Seattle PD officer and told him about it and he sped off in that direction, so maybe they got the guy, I don't know.

Situations like this really make me wish I could carry to work and just lock up my sidearm at the front door in a lock box or something, cause this is thethird time I have seen or been involved in something like this in downtown Seattle.
You know, there might be one possible solution. Of course you might still be violating your company rules, but you never know.

Buy yourself one of the small gunsafes like: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_requestid=23957 which is only $29.99 and the large one is *just* big enough to carry a large gun and one magazine.

When you get to work, immediatly go into the bathroom and put your sidearm in the lockbox, lock it up, and put it in a backpack or briefcase.

If they inquire, you can always say it's locked up safely.

It's not the best solution, but perhaps a viable alternative to still be able to carry?

Thanks!
Greg

gregma

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Hmm, that might be a good solution. I need to get a safe anyways.....want one of the biometric ones, but they are expensive; a simple keyed one may be my solution.
It's really working out well for me, although it's really getting to be a pain in the butt!

Wake up, get dressed, put on sidearm.

Drive to work, get out of car, take sidearm out of holster and put in lockbox, take extra mag out of carrier and put in lockbox, lock it up.

Get off work, go to car, unlock lockbox put sidearm in holster and extra mag in carrier.

Drive to gym, get out of car, take sidearm out of holster and put in lockbox, take extra mag out of carrier and put in lockbox, lock it up.

Leave gym, go to car, unlock lockbox put sidearm in holster and extra mag in carrier.

*sigh*. All this holster, unholster action is going to cause a problem eventually. But it's either that or don't carry and no way I'm not going to carry.

Thanks!
Greg

tarzan1888

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Situations like this really make me wish I could carry to work...

I understand where he is coming from. I ride the bus and I walk about 5 blocks every day through the dregs of the earth that inhabit down town, to get to it.

I work for a company that has a no-gun policy. We have armed guards at work so I am safe here, but not walking to get the bus.

I can't carry at work so I take a risk and have my gun in my briefcase. If I ever need it for people just like the one compmanio365 described, I will have it.

People, like the man described, are very un-predictable and he probably didn't leave because he saw the spray, who knows why he left. That is the scary part.:shock:

compmanio365 you were a lucky man.

kparker

imported post

Drive to work, get out of car, take sidearm out of holster and put in lockbox

Hmm, why the get-out-of-car / unholster sequence? I'd far rather do all the manipulation inside the car, where potential thieves and busybodies have less ability to see what I'm doing.

gregma

imported post

kparker wrote:
Drive to work, get out of car, take sidearm out of holster and put in lockbox

Hmm, why the get-out-of-car / unholster sequence? I'd far rather do all the manipulation inside the car, where potential thieves and busybodies have less ability to see what I'm doing.
The gunsafe is tied to the back seat post with an included cable. Because of that, the box won't reach all the way to the front. They probably chose a shorter cable so if someone broke in, they can't get the box outside the car then try to cut it by slamming the car door closed on the cable or something like that.

This forces me to get out, open the back door and do everything there.

And because there are two computer boxes under both the drivers side and the passenger side front seats, I can't move the box to the front and just store it under one of the seats. It won't fit under either one.

Last, because I feel it is more awkward (and thus more dangerous) for me to try to unholster my sidearm in a seated position rather than a standing position.

Thanks!
Greg

kparker

imported post

Ah, I see. In my case, my most common carry piece is my P3AT, concealed in a pocket holster, so the whole thing fits in the under-the-seat safe w/o having to unholster the pistol.