• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AB-282 Omnibus bill

wrightme

So if our permit is before July 1 do we still pay for the check or is it free?

Please be advised that only permits issued on or after July 1, 2011 qualify as alternatives to the background check. If an unlicensed person presents a permit issued prior to July 1, 2011, the FFL must conduct a background check prior to transferring the firearm
The Fee is FOR a background check. No background check, no fee. Background check, fee.

Yes, if your permit is before July 1, you will still pay for the check.

This is the SAME policy that was stated in the other BATFE open letters for states that got the exemption reinstated or presented. And, it makes sense. Permits before July 1 did not need to meet the standard of the new regulations, and the new regulations are what the BATFE reviewed and judged the exemption on.

nomidlname

Very Cool. Does anyone know factually why the ATF issued the statement? As I recall the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association tabled the motion to send a letter (boneheads). I also believe certain individuals and orginzations sent in their own requests?

Vegassteve

The Fee is FOR a background check. No background check, no fee. Background check, fee.

Yes, if your permit is before July 1, you will still pay for the check.

This is the SAME policy that was stated in the other BATFE open letters for states that got the exemption reinstated or presented. And, it makes sense. Permits before July 1 did not need to meet the standard of the new regulations, and the new regulations are what the BATFE reviewed and judged the exemption on.

I guess I was under the impression that this law would return us to using the free FBI system.

wrightme

Very Cool. Does anyone know factually why the ATF issued the statement? As I recall the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association tabled the motion to send a letter (boneheads). I also believe certain individuals and orginzations sent in their own requests?

We had a Fallon citizen send a letter to the BATFE pointing them to the new law. They reviewed it, and reinstated the exemption.

The NVSCA was irrelevant to this issue, no matter their pontificating to the opposite. The only thing the Sheriffs need to do is follow the law that has been passed. The rest seems to be nothing short of a "power play" by Frank and co.

varminter22

So if our permit is before July 1 do we still pay for the check or is it free?

Yes.

But, one can easily argue the BATFE could grandfather all existing permits.

After all the MOU did not have an expiration date. It simply said sheriffs would comply with fed requirements until our law could be amended - which it has been by AB-282.

Additionally, when the BATFE granted our temporary exemption (as a result of the MOU) it did NOT specify only newly issued permits (post MOU) would be acceptable.

There are ongoing discussions about this. Let us hope.

varminter22

Nope. That would take legislation to rescind the "Nevada as a 'Point of Contact' State" policy.

Maybe - maybe not - require 'legislation.'

Indications are the decision to be a "POC" state came as an administrative decision from NDPS.

I've always suspected it was NDPS that made the decision for Nevada to be a "POC" state.

Although not 100% conclusive proof, testimony by a Washoe County CCW Instructor on February 19, 2007 (AB-21, Asm Jud Cmte) indicates it was NDPS: Quote:
NDPS asked to become the point of contact - a middle-man - in providing the NICS check.

The instructor further asked: Quote:
Does anyone know how the point of contact [status] can be removed? I understand it has to be done through a legal action at the state level.

Vice Chair Horne stated: Quote:
We can pose that question to Legal.

But I recall nothing ever being said or done about it.

Perhaps it is time to seek - in earnest - to scrap our POC status and allow our FFL to utilize the free FBI service.

Last edited: