• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ABC 20/20 May 4th

Kelly J

imported post

hirundo82 wrote:
Kelly J wrote:
HankT wrote:
ABC's Stossel Links Gun Control to Higher Crime

Posted by Brad Wilmouth on May 6, 2007 - 00:51.

On Friday's 20/20, ABC anchor John Stossel discussed the self-defensive benefits of gun ownership, debunking the myth that 'gun control reduces crime,' during 20/20's recurring series 'Myths, Lies & Downright Stupidity,' based on Stossel's book of the same title. Citing the recent Supreme Court ruling overturning Washington, D.C.'s ban on gun ownership, Stossel talked to the pro-gun plaintiff in the case, and pointed out that the murder rate in D.C. increased after the city's gun ban. Stossel: "Since Washington's gun law passed, the murder rate actually increased, even while America's murder rate dropped. It's because guns can also save lives, says Palmer, as one saved his years ago in California." (Transcript follows)
When did the Supreme Court Rule on this issue? I looked on the SC Docket and Opinions and could not find the Opinion.

The case is Parker v. DC; it was ruled on by a 3 judge panel of the DC Court of Appeals. The city is appealing to the full court of appeals, and no matter what the decision there it will likely be appealed to the Supreme Court.

If the Supreme Court decides to hear it and rules in favor of an individual rights reading of the 2nd amendment, it could have grave repercussions for gun control advocates nationwide.
To date there has been the origional rulling overturning the DC Gun ban and that rulling has been apealed but it also failed, now I am waiting for the Apeal to go to the Supreme Court for their opinion on the 2nd Amendment Position, maybe just maybe there will finally be a Supreme Court rulling that plainly says that the 2nd Amendment does in fact as we all know it does Afirm that The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms is in fact an individual Right.