• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

about carrying a 3rd backup gun

LTTTI

imported post

darthmord wrote:
Though one time I did have 3 firearms on my person, two of which were concealed. Won't do it again. That much stuff in my waistband made walking & sitting uncomfortable.
i carry all 3 firearms (.45, .40, and 9mm currently) on my belt its not a problem. the clips dont fit the belt, so for about 2 months now ive been keeping them either in my front pockets (if im wearing shorts) or strapped to my ankles (if jeans)

as for the other responses i dont take my personal defense lightly and as i am a law abiding citizen to His country i can carry what i feel is necessary to defend myself in any situation..and ive made sure that if SHTF i am prepared for it.

i already know mentally if that im attacked by multiple suspects to pull the gun designed for that situation (less recoil and larger clip) versus one suspect (more recoil and smaller clip). its not like im clueless, i have read many articles on self defense and i have a collection of VHS tapes with real scenarios

Ezrider

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Ezrider wrote:
i have a .25 auto pocket pistol and i agree it probably has to be one of the most anemic of a self defense round, i don' t doubt that i would get the job done with the right ammo, i think i would be better off with a pocket pistol in .22LR though than the .25 in ether one a good self defense round is mandatory though as well as even more important is shot placement. I almost would like to start reloading my own 25auto and load it with the max powder charge for the casing. i don't think they could try to claim excessive force by an super hot reload in .25 lol. although i don't think carrying the same or multiple calibers really makes a difference i think loading your primary and backup guns with different ammo is not a bad idea though, such a heavy penetrating ammo for someone wearing heavy clothing in a open area and a ligher penitrating load to prevent over penitration in an more crouded enviroment. this can be a little more easly accived by using different calibers but can also be done by using differnt ammo of the same caliber.
Nearly all self defense handgun ammo of all calibers is engineered to achieve the same optimum penetration of somewhere around 14 to 18 inches. Doesn't matter what the caliber... the engineers played with bullet construction/powder charges to achieve that because that is what works the best to stop an attacker.

Bullet ballistics figures and photos can be found on the 'net.

Hence... worrying about grabbing the right gun for the right circumstances is pointless.... especially since, when in fear of our lives, whichever gun comes to hand is the one we will use.
well i have just started looking into all the different self defense ammo and a lot of them post feet per second and bullet drop and statistics like that. i buy a box of self defense round and it lasts me a long time i unload the sd rounds when going to the range and re load them when coming home. then about every 3 months rotate those rounds into my practice ammo and reload with fresh sd ammo. to get back to my point im just now starting to look into what self defense ammo is better as im going to be needing to buy some more soon. if you could post some info on balistics testing besides just feet per second. i almost wish i knew where to get some balistics jell and start trying out differnt ammo for myself to see how the points expand and penitration and so fourth, however one can only assume an .44magnum +p load is going to penitrate more than an .25apc +p load becouse of the amount of powder load and mass flying. also if there is so little differance in ammo as you say they are all optimized for the same penitration and to preform equaly regardliss of caliber then why is there so much preferance on certain caliber of guns.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Ezrider wrote:
well i have just started looking into all the different self defense ammo and a lot of them post feet per second and bullet drop and statistics like that. i buy a box of self defense round and it lasts me a long time i unload the sd rounds when going to the range and re load them when coming home. then about every 3 months rotate those rounds into my practice ammo and reload with fresh sd ammo. to get back to my point im just now starting to look into what self defense ammo is better as im going to be needing to buy some more soon. if you could post some info on balistics testing besides just feet per second. i almost wish i knew where to get some balistics jell and start trying out differnt ammo for myself to see how the points expand and penitration and so fourth, however one can only assume an .44magnum +p load is going to penitrate more than an .25apc +p load becouse of the amount of powder load and mass flying. also if there is so little differance in ammo as you say they are all optimized for the same penitration and to preform equaly regardliss of caliber then why is there so much preferance on certain caliber of guns.
This will get you started on ballistics even though the medium is water and not ballistic gel:

http://stevespages.com/page8f.htm

As you will notice... some calibers bullets expand more making a bigger hole.

And.. the difference between the final expansion size between some caliber bullets isn't really that much.

So... most of the time folks choose the largest caliber hoping for the largest expanded bullet in a gun that they can control the easiest helping them be the most accurate.

And there are a host of reasons for smaller calibers since a small gun that only holds 1 round of a large caliber can hold 5 rounds of a smaller caliber allowing more shots.....

And you will notice that caliber penetration expectations don't match what the actual performance is.

However... most modern self defense ammunition of all calibers are engineered on purpose to penetrate around 14 to around 18 inches because that range of penetration is what works best. It allows enough penetration to reach vitals from different angles to do damage to stop the attack while lessening the possibility of over penetration.

May I suggest searching the 'net for "ballistic gel" or "bullet expansion" and/or any variation of that theme? It will take time to find stuff that will answer your specific questions but the info is out there.

thx997303

imported post

WTH happened to the itchytits posts? They were funny if mean spirited.

Lemme just say my jokes were not meant to offend. Carry as many as you like. Doesn't bother me.

I personally like to carry 2 spare mags for my XD9. That gives me just about 50 rounds.

Will I need all of them? I hope not. But I will have them.

Oh, and check out www.brassfetcher.com

Good info there.

ODA 226

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Can it take MULTIPLE shots from a .338 Lapua? You know, while your partner sets up to take the shot.
Yeah, I was thinking thatthe OP wasGECKO.45 too! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Well, you might try carrying a revolver in same caliber as the secondary for
a Backup BUG. Then you will have time to take him out with the primary as he
tries to shove the backup mag into the cyl.

I must disagree if the worry is about the third gun he needs to get a shotgun
not a rifle :uhoh:

I keep the backup BUG in the car dash for security, even when our boys in blue
have gotten the primary and BUG, it is still available. It is a 38 revolver, but
they do have better long term storage for that sort of thing. Plus they fit better.
Haven't ever had someone ask why I had 38 speed loaders for a pistol yet.:lol:

ODA 226

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
I must disagree if the worry is about the third gun he needs to get a shotgun
not a rifle :uhoh:

I disagree with you here...the RIFLE should be the third gun because you need something to engage at long range, especially when you are taking fire from a .338 Lapua..your trauma plates MAY stop one, maybe two shots, but then you'll need something with longer range to take the BG out.

I prefer the Super Match M1A with a 4X100 80mm Scope, complete with a Laser Aiming Module and 5th Generation Starlight Scope as my third gun. With 20 rounds of Armor Piercing 7.62 Nato, I can fire multiple rounds into the BG's SAPI plates and break through them after 4 to 5 rounds...

My FOURTH gun would be my 11-87 12. Gauge just in case the BG was wearing 2 SAPI plates taped to his body under his Paraclete 4 A Body Armor and the deadly fire from my Super Match proved ineffective and the BG charged me and managed to wrestle my primary, secondary and thirdary handguns away from me and then grabbed my empty Super Match M1A and started beating me about the head and shoulders in a manner that would lead a reasonable man to believe that he was about to be killed or seriously injured so I would quickly whip out my book by Hank T entitled "Hank T's Postulate on Civilian Self Defence" and hesitate for an ever slight moment while I determined whether or not the BG was armed with a deadly weapon and where upon determining that the 3 handguns and the Super Match M1A, although being empty, still constituted a Deadly Weapon under VirginiaCode 18.2 and then I could pull my 11-87 12 Ga. Riot Shotgun with an extented magazine from its sheath on my back, and blow the BGs (or zombie maybe) head off.....

I would then go to the mall and get a delicious piece of Strawberry Shortcake and a tall glass of refreshing milk....

Marco

imported post

:idea:
If you choose to carry that many firearms on your belt I suggest you invest in some high quality suspenders.
If you choose to forgo the suspenders never leave the house "Commando style" unlesss your nickname is tripod or while wearing undies that aren't clean or that people will laugh at, like maybe your wifes undies.:lol:

Are you carrying a Mauser Broom Handle?
IIRC, that is the only handgun that excepts clips.

[line]

Three guns or two friends with guns (that know how to shoot)whichis more effective.:?

Just buy a mean dog from the animal shelter that would keep a BG from disarming you, so you can take him everywhere get one of these:

american_chestnut_677x313.jpg

Much cheaper than buy three firearms, ammo, holsters and range time.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

Well...I carry my 1911 as my Primary and my Makarov 9X18 as my backup...

Forthe 1911, Icarry 3 8rd magazines + 1 10 rd magazine + 1 in the chamber = 35 .45 rounds.

For the Mak, Icarry 2 8 rd magazines + 1 in the chamber = 17 9X18 rounds

...for a total of52 rounds (sometimes I carry a 3rd 8rd mag for the Mak...giving me 8 more). And worst case scenario if I run out of ammo....hell, I'll throw theMak at them...that's one heavy little gun :D!!!

MyTitsItch

Banned
imported post

buster81 wrote:
MyTitsItch wrote:
Do you wear a helmet when you drive?
I do not, nor do I wear a seatbelt. I do wear a cup when I play hockey though.

LOLLERSKATES!!

How is it over in the land of people that don't understand statistics and probability?

B

Bikenut

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I would just avoid going anywhere I thought I might need 2 BUGS...
I always avoid going anywhere I am sure I will need even just one gun...

But since I cannot predict the future nor do bad guys call me to tell me where they are going to be when they plan to assault folks so I can just not go there.... and I can't rely on being able to smoothly effect a mag change/clear a stoppage under the adrenalin stress of a for real life and death situation... nor do I know how many rounds will be needed if rounds are needed... I plan accordingly when deciding how many guns to take with me.

I have never ever heard of anyone complaining they had rounds left after surviving a violent attack.... and I would hate to be struggling to survive a violent attack and wish I had brought more rounds....................

One question for folks to consider... How many of us have tried to change a magazine after fishing it out of where ever it is carried while running without looking at the gun?

I can't run due to physical concerns but I personally can't reliably change a magazine every time, nor reliably clear a stoppage every time while practicing a self defense scenario that involves me moving (nearly all real life self defense scenarios involve someone moving around... the perp or the victim.. or both so yooperlady and I practice accordingly).

But that is just me... other folks make their decisions based on their abilities and the criteria they consider important to them.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bikenut wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
I always avoid going anywhere I am sure I will need even just one gun...

But since I cannot predict the future nor do bad guys call me to tell me where they are going to be when they plan to assault folks so I can just not go there.... and I can't rely on being able to smoothly effect a mag change/clear a stoppage under the adrenalin stress of a for real life and death situation... nor do I know how many rounds will be needed if rounds are needed... I plan accordingly when deciding how many guns to take with me.

I have never ever heard of anyone complaining they had rounds left after surviving a violent attack.... and I would hate to be struggling to survive a violent attack and wish I had brought more rounds....................

One question for folks to consider... How many of us have tried to change a magazine after fishing it out of where ever it is carried while running without looking at the gun?

I can't run due to physical concerns but I personally can't reliably change a magazine every time, nor reliably clear a stoppage every time while practicing a self defense scenario that involves me moving (nearly all real life self defense scenarios involve someone moving around... the perp or the victim.. or both so yooperlady and I practice accordingly).

But that is just me... other folks make their decisions based on their abilities and the criteria they consider important to them.
The question of extra ammo is, IMO, different than the question of multiple BUGS. Certainly a BUG is a good idea in principal. I don't personally choose to carry a BUG as IMO the day to day inconvenience and discomfort is outweighed by my assessment of day to day risk. There are times when our travel plans lead to my carrying a BUG or having extra sidearm immediately available otherwise. But I almost always have an extra mag (or several) nearby or on my person.

ODA 226

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

On a serious note....you must practice FTF drills and mag changes until they become muscle memory and this is what most OC'ers and CHP's neglect to practice. Most don't even carry spare mags for their carry weapon.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

This is my 'back up gun'. When presented... most people just back the hell up...

buster81

imported post

MyTitsItch wrote:
buster81 wrote:
MyTitsItch wrote:
Do you wear a helmet when you drive?
I do not, nor do I wear a seatbelt. I do wear a cup when I play hockey though.

LOLLERSKATES!!

How is it over in the land of people that don't understand statistics and probability?
What statistics and probabilities are those?Are you suggesting that a cup isn't required to protect my jewels during a game of hockey?