• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Accidental Discharge in Danville

Neplusultra

imported post

HankT wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
Needless to say, many of you are going to disagree with me on this thought....

but I'm not sure a 73 year old man has any business carrying a firearm. :shock:

This story is evidence to support my belief.

Well, I don't think that 73 years is a good cut-off. But at some point there should probably be one.

At some point you gotta take the guns away from grandpa, or dad, if they get wayyyy up there. It's often a difficult decision.
I'm not sure why, unless they demonstrate recklessness or the threat of such. Self-defense is a fundamental right. It's not like the privilege of driving a car or something. You shouldn't have to prove you can, but it should be proven you can't....

Dragonfly

imported post

HankT wrote:
Sheriff wrote:

Well, I don't think that 73 years is a good cut-off. But at some point there should probably be one.

At some point you gotta take the guns away from grandpa, or dad, if they get wayyyy up there. It's often a difficult decision.
Yes your absolutely right sonny, right after the aide comes by to change my diaper.
:banghead:

dbc3804

imported post

HankT wrote:
Sheriff wrote:

I don't seem to recall reading an age limit in theConstitution regarding the Bill or Rights.

KBCraig

imported post

If anyone thinks 73 is too old, I suggest they take a look at Buzz Aldrin and Chuck Yeager.

Does this Libby Hill Restaurant have a VABC license? Does VA law give police retirees a pass on concealed carry where alcohol is served?

If he had proof of range qualification in the previous 12 months, he'd be exempt by LEOSA, but I'm only curious about VA law in this case.

W.E.G.

imported post

Its not about age.

Its all about ability.
I'm in favor of proficiency testing for drivers licenses and handgun carry permits.

I have witnessed actions by people of all ages that would cause me to question whether those persons should be "allowed around guns."

zoom6zoom

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Fenris wrote:
SNIP J. Swift agrees with you. A 73 year old man...[rest of post].
:(:(:(
Since I resemble that remark, I fixed it for you.

See how easy it is to wipe a smile off somebody's face. :p

Yata hey
Gotta be careful about generalizations. I'd trust Grape on my six quicker than some younger guys I know.

Hendu024

imported post

"Things took a strange turn at a funeral luncheon on Monday in Danville, after a gun fired in the restaurant injured four people. It seems to be an accidental shooting."

I hate it when those guns think they can do whatever they want... Sneaking out of someone's waistband like that and just going off :p

Fenris

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Fenris wrote:
SNIP J. Swift agrees with you. A 73 year old man...[rest of post].
:(:(:(
Since I resemble that remark, I fixed it for you.

See how easy it is to wipe a smile off somebody's face. :p

Yata hey
Gotta be careful about generalizations. I'd trust Grape on my six quicker than some younger guys I know.

Sigh... Satire is SO misunderstood. Or perhaps I am just a poor satirist.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Has anyone heard about any follow up to this story? How is the elderly gunslinger doing? I imagine the incident has taken its toll on his personal life and possibly his health.