• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Active Duty Soldier Illegally Disarmed and Arrested

Tacitus42

Let me simplify this for you... I didn't say he was in Wally World or Target, or "strolling around town" - the reference was to LONG GUNS Pax...

You make no sense. Not my head , think you swallowed too much statist pabulum. Let me get this right...No camo, no long guns, no recording devices = common sense?

eye95

I carry a recorder whenever I OC.

Am I looking for trouble?

Or, am I just being prepared for it to find me, as it has in the past?

EMNofSeattle

To be fair, I think this army guy certainly has an ego, I think Grishams mouth got him in more trouble then the gun. You see people like that, he's an army combat veteran, he doesn't need to account for himself to some low level public servant.

Problem is, cops are humans too, and humans hate being insulted and challenged. I think he's partly responsible in bringing on his bad arrest. The one time I was terry stopped by the police two years ago (albiet non gun related) I did exactly this. Ask if I was being detained, officer says yes, then I stated I choose to not answer questions and ****'d.

nonameisgood

I haven't watched the entire video, since sound is obviously important. If the short account on YouTube is accurate, Officer Friendly needs some training about not grabbing a safely slung gun and not drawing on someone who has committed no crime of violence.

But a quick observation or two:
He is a civilian when wandering around, whether it not he is an active duty soldier is irrelevant. If he wants to claim special treatment for his active duty status, then there are rules regarding US military operating on US soil, if I recall correctly. On that day and in that place he is claiming to be hiking with his son, which is not related to his day job.

I also think that in some places, an AR slung in that manner does cause alarm, whereas a rifle slung across ones back might not. I'm not arguing that one way is ok and the other isn't, or the usefulness of it, only perceptions. People have become afraid of black guns and one has to consider that when in public.

Tacitus42

To be fair, I think this army guy certainly has an ego,we all have an ego I think Grishams mouth got him in more trouble then the gun.not illegal You see people like that, he's an army combat veteran, he doesn't need to account for himself to some low level public servant. speculation

Problem is, cops are humans tooahhhh, and humans hate being insulted and challenged.find a new job I think he's partly responsible in bringing on his bad arrest.how can he responsible for a BAD arrest The one time I was terry stopped by the police two years ago (albiet non gun related) I did exactly this. Ask if I was being detained, officer says yes, then I stated I choose to not answer questions and ****'d.
Bravo!

I'm feisty today:cuss:

Gil223

You make no sense. Not my head , think you swallowed too much statist pabulum. Let me get this right...No camo, no long guns, no recording devices = common sense?

Too bad you didn't get my last reply, but, nonetheless, I know why you don't get the "big picture". Your sig line is appropriate... you're BOTH!

joanie

This is probibly not the best example of how to handle a police encounter. This guy really put his foot in his mouth, at one point it seemed like he said something to the cop that could have easally been taken as a threat. His own video shows how hostle he is, all the police have to do in a court situation is say to a jury that they didn't think releasing him in his present condision would have been responsable in the sense that an angry man with a gun could pose a threat. I am not excusing the police, and believe me when I say I don't like the idea of defending them. Just that this guy was hostle, and angry, with good reason, but none the less.

I would have been as well, very angry, and upset. But I wouldn't let that show at the time. I feel bad for his son, to see his dad being treated like a criminal must have been hard for him.

My final gripe about this guy, he brought up the fact that he was a Iraq verteran. Irrelivant, it's like saying its ok to open carry if you served in the military. He threw all of us who haven't under the bus.

sudden valley gunner

This is probibly not the best example of how to handle a police encounter. This guy really put his foot in his mouth, at one point it seemed like he said something to the cop that could have easally been taken as a threat. His own video shows how hostle he is, all the police have to do in a court situation is say to a jury that they didn't think releasing him in his present condision would have been responsable in the sense that an angry man with a gun could pose a threat. I am not excusing the police, and believe me when I say I don't like the idea of defending them. Just that this guy was hostle, and angry, with good reason, but none the less.

I would have been as well, very angry, and upset. But I wouldn't let that show at the time. I feel bad for his son, to see his dad being treated like a criminal must have been hard for him.

My final gripe about this guy, he brought up the fact that he was a Iraq verteran. Irrelivant, it's like saying its ok to open carry if you served in the military. He threw all of us who haven't under the bus.

Sometimes firmness comes out as anger especially when nervous so I judge the guy lightly on this, especially since he didn't start the encounter.

He pulled the Vet Card. I don't think it's always wrong to talk about that, but to make it an issue of somehow you know more or should be treated better because of it.....not good.

eye95

Sometimes firmness comes out as anger especially when nervous so I judge the guy lightly on this, especially since he didn't start the encounter.

He pulled the Vet Card. I don't think it's always wrong to talk about that, but to make it an issue of somehow you know more or should be treated better because of it.....not good.

I took it as anger. I think most reasonable people will.

The lesson is don't argue. You will not convince the cop on the street of the law. Maybe take on shot at telling the officer (calmly) that your carry is perfectly lawful and ask him to check. If that does not work, do the "free to go" routine and otherwise KYBMS.

Your carry may be lawful, but it is easy to break other laws during an encounter. Don't argue. Just calmly assert your rights, consent to nothing, verbalize that lack of consent (again, calmly), and say nothing else.

Oh, and record everything.

sudden valley gunner

I took it as anger. I think most reasonable people will.

The lesson is don't argue. You will not convince the cop on the street of the law. Maybe take on shot at telling the officer (calmly) that your carry is perfectly lawful and ask him to check. If that does not work, do the "free to go" routine and otherwise KYBMS.

Your carry may be lawful, but it is easy to break other laws during an encounter. Don't argue. Just calmly assert your rights, consent to nothing, verbalize that lack of consent (again, calmly), and say nothing else.

Oh, and record everything.

Good advice.

I took it as anger too, and I won't try to insinuate some is "unreasonable" by not seeing it that way. Sometimes the standing up calmly only comes with practice, assertiveness or trying to be firm combined with nervousness comes off as anger.

eye95

Sorry if it appeared that way, but I was not trying to insinuate that it would be unreasonable not to see it as anger, hence the "most" and not an "all." It could reasonably be seen as uncontrolled assertiveness. However, I am pointing to the danger that uncontrolled assertiveness will be seen as anger by most reasonable people. So my underlying advice is "Be assertive, but be so in a controlled way."

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Being angry because you are being abused is not illegal. Raising your voice to a LEO is not illegal. Expressing your anger, in a non-violent manner, is not illegal.

I was once stopped/bullied by a LEO in my little town of Bee'ham. It was a quiet conversation , until he drew his weapon. At that time my voice became elevated. The LEO told me I could not yell at him when I was armed. I told him I always raise my voice when confronted by "stupid". (I consider a weapon pointed ten inches from my stomach as stupid)
Yes, you can get angry. Yes, you can call them on it. Yes, you do need to be sure of yourself when you do it. Yes, it is NOT illegal to stand up for yourself.

eye95

*looks for where someone said it was illegal*

*does not find it*

Being angry in such situations is not only legal, it is expected. The question is how to handle that anger. The way the subject of the video used his anger was not helpful to him nor to his cause.

We win the argument when we are rational in contrast with the emotional outbursts of the antis. When we behave emotionally, we cannot be distinguished from the antis. I have a new signature quote coming that addresses this very issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>