• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

African americans open carrying

ares338

African Americans Open Carrying?

As a boy growing up in the south in the 50's I saw first hand what racism looked like. In Georgia if a white woman and a black man were walking on the same sidewalk, the black man would step back off of the curb into the street with his hat tipped. I tried to get my mom to explain but she never would. She just said susssshhhhhh!

I would be proud to shoot at a range with any group of racially diverse gun nuts. After all ALL GUN NUTS ARE THE SAME. :monkey:dude::monkey:monkey.

OC for ME

Explain that one. My company doesn't get checked, they don't even get a second glance, but I get checked, detained, my permit called in, yet I'm coming from a job interview, so you can't say it's my style of dress, (and the white guy I met up with just woresat shirt and shorts with biker tattoos) I speak well, you can't say it's my dialect, only thing left to judge me on is my skin color.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
OCWB. Tough situation to be sure. Just one question. What did your 'company' do while you got trampled? Did they just stand there and let you get tampled? Or did they get involved by standing up for your rights too? I have challeneged a cop, three actually, when they did to a buddy of mine, Mexican heritage, what cops do to you. You may be surprised how cops tend to hear a white dude regurgitating applicable statutes, but my Mexican buddy was speaking Spanish as far as the thug cops were concerned. What was funny about that particular event, one of the thug cops was named Perez and had just a hint of a accent.

Cop thuggery is 'color blind' in my view where thug cops knowing the law is concerned. None of them know the law, or at least follow the laws they know.

celticredneck

First my background, I'm a 69 year old son of a Scot Irish immigrant and a bit of a southern redneck. I grew up in the era of the civil rights movement here in the south. I had always had a few black friends including one who saved me from getting my a** kicked by a white gang. At that time I used the "N"word and had no idea it was offensive. I don't believe my parents did either. Anyhow, if I saw you open carrying I would have no problem with it. Although I am somewhat intimidated by black people, I might even gather up the courage to talk with you. Of course, I've never made friends easily, whether black or white. I am truly sorry for the way you are treated and hope you get a chance to sue the officers for violating your Constitutional rights.

Beretta92FSLady

I myself am an african american and as much as I hate to claim the race card, it holds true in open carry situations.

I've been places with a white friend and we both open carried and law enforcement felt the need to detain me, seize my gun, THEN check my permit (in that order). But my white friend was not treated this way. His permit wasn't even checked.

Just to give a little extra information, that day I was coming from a job interview, I was clean shaven, neat, wearing slacks, shirt, and tie, so I did not present the gangster hoodlum image, at least not in my view.

I've once been pulled off of a train by 5 leos, stripped of my gun, slammed against the wall and humiliated only to find that I was in possession of a very valid permit (weapons carry license as it's known as in georgia).

I've had 911 called on me, even joined blackgunowners.org and was told that my experience was the norm for a man of color.

Any other black men or women here have any oc experiences?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk!

You know better than any person that is not Negro, that one of the most dangerous things in your social experience is the pigment of your skin, particularly being male; and it is unfortunate.

I believe that obviously you were treated with a higher level of scrutiny, but that is not the only unfortunate thing about your post--that you felt the need to qualify the reason why you ought not have been harassed, by pointing out that you were clean-shaven, and wearing interview attire; those things ought to be irrelevant, IMO.

I have been accused of being racially insensitive for a number of reasons, whether they are valid or not, well, I could care less for the most part. What I would like to see more often is a mix of people at the OC meet-ups, and I am talking hetero, homo, Negro, Asian, Latino, Native, etc. The problem is--and this problem is present in 'my' community-- there seems to be greater pressure on groups other than Caucasian that they feel they need to choose between groups. Okay, I will shut up now.

Be safe out there, everybody.

Last edited:

scorpio_vette

What I would like to see more often is a mix of people at the OC meet-ups, and I am talking hetero, homo, Negro, Asian, Latino, Native, etc. The problem is--and this problem is present in 'my' community-- there seems to be greater pressure on groups other than Caucasian that they feel they need to choose between groups.

you forgot tattooed and pierced, and "not dressed for success".

as for the people in here saying they're getting harassed for color (and i don't mean this insulting, so for all you politically correct and sensitive people of whatever color), you know what the problem is. your BLACK.

like it or not, this world never has and never will get over racism. the problem is stupid parents who don't know, or refuse to educate their kids. when I lived in georgia, I worked at a fence yard, and the crew leaders son (who had friends of various different races) used to call me a sand ******. one day i asked him why he used that word, even though he hung out with blacks, latinos, mexicans and others. he simply replied:

get this

"i don't know........my dad says it".

and THAT is why it will never change.

you get harassed because you're black. doesn't matter how you dress, cut your hair or shave.

I get harassed because they can't figure out what I am, and apparently (other peoples words, not mine) I look "scary". nazimexicanhispanicblacktattooedbiker who know also carries a gun. that's what people see in me.

the people that will tell you that you are playing the "race card", and that it's "long over with", are most likely also white, and are part of the "clean shaven, respectable white colored" group that don't have problems with cops harassing them, and use "politically correct words" such as "african american", "negro" or other weird crap to hide the fact that THEY are afraid of you, because YOU ARE BLACK.

on the flip side, being black, I'm sure you are also fully aware that we both part of stereotypes. is it right to judge you for what other blacks do and how they act??? NO
is it right to call me a nazi because i'm german??? NO
is it right to call me a felon because I look like one??? NO (self induced, fine. still doesn't matter though)
is it right to hate all cops because we seem to only run into the ********??? NO

stereotypes man. they're everywhere. always will were and always will be.

but until the world ends, i say carry. better to be harassed an armed, then victimized and defenseless.

gobbly

Keep OCing! every chance you get!

The only way to overcome this sort of thing is to know your rights, and exercise them. There will always be bigoted a-holes out there, and it sucks, and no one should have to go through that, but all you can really do is keep doing your thing, stand up for what you believe in, and be an example for how the world should be :)

Too many people have put their lives on the line to protect our freedoms. We should NEVER let those efforts be in vain!

Oh, and file complaints every chance you get. Talk to IA officers, write your elected officials. Nothing changes without us making it change!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I ask them if they are a US citizen most say yes, and I say to them then it is your right to O.C. if you wish,...

I realize this is an old post in this resurrected thread, but this didn't get corrected, so I wanted to mention it.

You do not have to be a citizen to be allowed to possess and carry firearms, in any state of which I am aware. As long as you are a legal RESIDENT, you may do so. Now, some states (like Oklahoma now) require you to be a citizen to get a concealed weapon permit. Most do not. I see nothing in Idaho's law requiring it.

Adam Cook

I myself am an african american and as much as I hate to claim the race card, it holds true in open carry situations.

I've been places with a white friend and we both open carried and law enforcement felt the need to detain me, seize my gun, THEN check my permit (in that order). But my white friend was not treated this way. His permit wasn't even checked.

Just to give a little extra information, that day I was coming from a job interview, I was clean shaven, neat, wearing slacks, shirt, and tie, so I did not present the gangster hoodlum image, at least not in my view.

I've once been pulled off of a train by 5 leos, stripped of my gun, slammed against the wall and humiliated only to find that I was in possession of a very valid permit (weapons carry license as it's known as in georgia).

I've had 911 called on me, even joined blackgunowners.org and was told that my experience was the norm for a man of color.

Any other black men or women here have any oc experiences?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk!

I'm white. I think it's ******** that you get singled out because of your race. I'm in the midst of developing an iPphone/android app. Here's how it works, you're about to be hassled, pick up your phone start the app and your camera and mic not only start recording, they start streaming to a server. State your name, the date, the time. Server records everything in case your phone is taken and LEO "accidentally" deletes the video. Later, log on, grab your video and tell the world your story. If we all record our confrontations and put them out there for the word to see, maybe we can make a difference.

joanie

So if race isn't the issue, then why do I get stopped for OCing but my white friends never do? If you have such a brain, it would help if you used it to read, and then think about what you say before you say it.

I think race could very be the issue, but I have trouble believing that your "white friends" as you put it, never get stopped and harrassed by police for OCing. Do your "white friends" who are with you at the time stand up and complain? or are they worried about getting charged with obstruction? I also think that in addition to being a race issue, and maybe even more than that, it's a looks issue. The sight of some people, me included threatends a cop's comfort level. The best example of this I can think of would be in a Youtube video about a Canton Ohio police officer stopping a car where the driver was conceal carrying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkHQuyEQze4

This cop's comfort level went from "oh it's so much fun to throw my weight around and make people sweat" to "OMG, I'm picking on armed people and I might get whats coming to me" The cop in any case probibly never considers that anyone but himself, or herself, would have a gun, or should for that matter. Being the only person with a gun puts a cop in a comfort zone, when shaken out of that zone, not all, but many cops get upset.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I'm white. I think it's ******** that you get singled out because of your race. I'm in the midst of developing an iPphone/android app. Here's how it works, you're about to be hassled, pick up your phone start the app and your camera and mic not only start recording, they start streaming to a server. State your name, the date, the time. Server records everything in case your phone is taken and LEO "accidentally" deletes the video. Later, log on, grab your video and tell the world your story. If we all record our confrontations and put them out there for the word to see, maybe we can make a difference.
Nice thought, but it's already been done. It's called "Qik", been out for about 3-4 years.

tazxrulz

Yes, I have learned the recording laws and I now record leo encounters.

I will not stop carrying, it's just a minor annoyance

Swyped from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk!
Good for you. Don't back down. I sure hope you catch a nice big settlement!

WalkingWolf

If you've not read it, I suggest checking out Disarm the African Americanes: The Racist Roots of Georgia's Gun Laws.

The irony of the fact that the party supporting gun control today and breeding a generational plague of dependence within the black community recieved no less than 93% of the vote in the 2012 Presidential election is not lost on me.

I raise chickens, not only do they follow me for food, they jump up to be held, and treated like a member of the family. If they get sick, and it is worth it to treat them I provide medical care for them. If I deem they are not worth the bother, I cull them. I cut their spurs so they cannot defend themselves from each other. All the while I steal their eggs right out from under them, and occasionally have one for dinner.

The lower class are the democrat party chickens.

Last edited:

Silvertongue

I raise chickens, not only do they follow me for food, they jump up to be held, and treated like a member of the family. If they get sick, and it is worth it to treat them I provide medical care for them. If I deem they are not worth the bother, I cull them. I cut their spurs so they cannot defend themselves from each other. All the while I steal their eggs right out from under them, and occasionally have one for dinner.

The lower class are the democrat party chickens.

Sir, I would love to steal this.