• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to shoot?

hunter45

imported post

Do you think the guys at the NRA range are gonna ask about my age if I walk in there and ask for a lane and act like I belong there? I always go with my uncle or dad, but they are too busy with work this week and I haven't gone shooting in a couple months, so I really want to get out there soon. I wish I was 21. :X

nova

imported post

I don't know, but I'm free this week until Friday so I'd be more than willing to come and find out too! :lol:

I don't have a range card there yet though as every time I go there the range is closed! :(

hunter45

imported post

nova wrote:
I don't know, but I'm free this week until Friday so I'd be more than willing to come and find out too! :lol:

I don't have a range card there yet though as every time I go there the range is closed! :(

Well maybe they won't turn us down if we all go together. I've already got my range card, so I was hoping that if I just walk into and hand it to them then maybe they won't say anything.

I need to stop by VA Arms and pick up my Kimber slide before I go to the range.

nova

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
nova wrote:

Well maybe they won't turn us down if we all go together. I've already got my range card, so I was hoping that if I just walk into and hand it to them then maybe they won't say anything.

I have two finals tomorrow and I have to finish a paper after that, so I wouldn't make it then. Of course Tuesday they're closed all day, then Wed/Thurs they only open at 5pm. Friday I'm going down to VT for my brother's graduation (and am hitting up the range there too!)

There's a chance I might get up early tomorrow and get my range card when they open at 10am so I can get to my final at noon on time.

hunter45

imported post

nova wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
nova wrote:

I have two finals tomorrow and I have to finish a paper after that, so I wouldn't make it then. Of course Tuesday they're closed all day, then Wed/Thurs they only open at 5pm. Friday I'm going down to VT for my brother's graduation (and am hitting up the range there too!)

There's a chance I might get up early tomorrow and get my range card when they open at 10am so I can get to my final at noon on time.

I wish they were open on Tuesdays. That always seems to be the one day that I have nothing to do and want to shoot. I have no idea when I can go this week until my boss e-mails our work schedule (which should have been sent out by Friday :X) . I've gotta cut the grass tomorrow morning before the rain comes, but I may be able to shoot in the afternoon as long as I'm not working.

TexasNative

imported post

As has been stated over and over, the complete "rule" is that shooters at the NRA range under the age of 21 must be accompanied by an adult. Many, many, many folks under 21 shoot at the NRA range all the time since they're with an adult.

If I were 20 years old, I would probably chafe at this rule (especially since at that age, I'd been in the Navy for a couple of years), but at my current ripe old age, this seems to me to be a prudent rule.

darthmord

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
As has been stated over and over, the complete "rule" is that shooters at the NRA range under the age of 21 must be accompanied by an adult. Many, many, many folks under 21 shoot at the NRA range all the time since they're with an adult.

If I were 20 years old, I would probably chafe at this rule (especially since at that age, I'd been in the Navy for a couple of years), but at my current ripe old age, this seems to me to be a prudent rule.

This 'rule' is utter BS. 18+ is an adult. So going that 'complete rule', an 18 year old just needs to be accompanied by another 18 year old since anyone under 21 must be accompanied by an adult and anyone who is 18+ years old is legally an adult.

Besides, I'm hardly enamored with the NRA range up in the Fairfax / Chantilly area. The people running the range during my last visit (several months ago) were very rude & condescending. They won't be getting any more of my business.

First impressions matter. Over time, people will forget what you said. But they won't forget how you made them feel.

nova

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
nova wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
nova wrote:

I wish they were open on Tuesdays. That always seems to be the one day that I have nothing to do and want to shoot. I have no idea when I can go this week until my boss e-mails our work schedule (which should have been sent out by Friday :X) . I've gotta cut the grass tomorrow morning before the rain comes, but I may be able to shoot in the afternoon as long as I'm not working.
Didn't get my range card, figured I'd get extra sleep before my finals.

That place has wacky hours. Tuesdays they're closed and wednesday/thurs they only open at 5pm! :banghead:

hunter45

imported post

nova wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
nova wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
nova wrote:

Didn't get my range card, figured I'd get extra sleep before my finals.

That place has wacky hours. Tuesdays they're closed and wednesday/thurs they only open at 5pm! :banghead:

And I never got the grass cut. Now it's too wet. Looks like we both had very productive mornings. :banghead:

nova

imported post

hunter45 wrote:

And I never got the grass cut. Now it's too wet. Looks like we both had very productive mornings. :banghead:
:lol: