• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

All the nuts in one basket?

Dave Workman

imported post

There are currently two (2) lawsuits in progress regarding the Seattle parks gun ban.

It might be prudent to consider the potential impact on those legal actions, no matter how remote that possibility seems.

As Trigger Dr. and Deros have sagely pointed out, one must carefully select the venue for public expression. This includes a willingness to NOT do something even though the urge just seems overwhelming. There is currently far too much at stake.

One can claim to speak or act only for himself, but in the public eye, you end up representing a lot of people and the image one creates can be lasting and easily turned against not just you, but everyone in a particular movement.

DEROS72

imported post

Agreed ,going there to create a confrontation or just confront some of these folks is not going to change their minds except perhaps to look on us in an even more negative light.We all know they are anti gun so they will either give you the same common sense gun law rhetoric or tell you what you want you want to hear and hope you'll go away.There will more than likey be TV there.do we want to see a headline that reads "Gun nuts disrupt mayors open house" . I pesonally believe going there with tactical gear etc will absolutely have the opposite effect in this situation.

There are rallies planned this spring national and statewide that will be the forum to put across our views.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
One can claim to speak or act only for himself, but in the public eye, you end up representing a lot of people and the image one creates can be lasting and easily turned against not just you, but everyone in a particular movement.
This is why I was scared to YELL OUT against the WA ceasefire fellows.

seattleric007, will you still be going to the open house to spy?

Whoops, just read your post, answered my own question.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What 'they' (anti's) don't expect:

Polite, courteous, kind, professional and well dressed individuals who carry. These things go along way to our collective image. It takes time andpatienceto win the minds of those who are uneducated about open carry. And by time I mean years! 'They' are willing to erode our rights over years, we must be willing to educate, encourage and present that image for years too.

:lol:

DEROS72

imported post

Exactly gogodawgs...Image is important.However I don't feel a need to spy I already know what their attitudes are and don't expect them to change there .Sort of redundent.

DEROS72

imported post

Won't be going ,not to this one...Realy don't believe it is going to accomplish alot but has a bigger chance to backfire.We have other events in the works I believe will be more effective in the long run.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Poo....

That is an excellent reason to go! Free food!

And to ask questions....
NO FREE FOOD. UGH. :cuss:

Anyways, met seattleric007, spotted him quite easily. I think short people should avoid him unless necessary, otherwise he's going to have some serious back problems later on in life :lol:.

Spoke with councilmen Brian about the light rail, and how pointless it was, and that it was only a pretty object for tourists.

Tried to speak with councilmen Tom about the wifi project in columbia city, but he ushered me off with a card and told me to email him later.

Spoke with councilmen Richard, and asked about main concern. Economic recovery, making green jobs. I asked what a green job was, and he cleared it up by saying it was about helping the environment. I told him it's not about the environment, it's about the people. Earth been here a long ass time, it ain't going nowhere, but we might!

Picked up a bite size chocolate HARD cookie, and 3 butterfingers.

All in all, pretty mellow day, I found great interest watching the american sign language lady "speaking" next to the mayor. (Insert eating popcorn smiley here).

Oh yeah, in the mayors office, there is a white board for you to write a message, so I wrote, "Stop helping criminals by removing the firearms ban at parks,etc".

amzbrady

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:

Polite, courteous, kind, professional and well dressed individuals who carry. These things go along way to our collective image. It takes time andpatienceto win the minds of those who are uneducated about open carry. And by time I mean years! 'They' are willing to erode our rights over years, we must be willing to educate, encourage and present that image for years too.

So, we shouldnt show up in dirty jeans, a stained yellowd t shirt, and flannel shirt, with our john deer hat looking like we just came out of the woods after gutting a deer? Probably shouldnt smile if we're missing teeth too. How bout full body tats and enough piercings to make us look like we've been french kissing an opentackle box. No hoodies, no dog studded collars? No obnoxious short fat white guys? Aw man, I'm out, whos left?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:

So, we shouldnt show up in dirty jeans, a stained yellowd t shirt, and flannel shirt, with our john deer hat looking like we just came out of the woods after gutting a deer? Probably shouldnt smile if we're missing teeth too. How bout full body tats and enough piercings to make us look like we've been french kissing an opentackle box. No hoodies, no dog studded collars? No obnoxious short fat white guys? Aw man, I'm out, whos left?

Well, bad stereo types aside (let me take off my Carhart jacket), if you read my comment I made no comments on what clothes you wear, what your dental plan is, if you have tats or piercings, etc....

I made a comment on your BEHAVIOR first (polite, courteous and kind) and your appearance second. And you can still have a nice appearance with tats, peircings and carharts. But dad gum it wear your sunday best jeans.

seattleric007

Banned
imported post

Well I went to city hall on Saturday. The head of building security was great with the whole situration. I got to open carry everywhere in city hall except the security controlled areas, mayor's office, city council members offices. I did take the tour of those places, but I had to check my guns with the head of security, I put them in a filling cabnet behind the security desk in the main lobby, and he sat there the 50 minutes I was upstairs meeting the new mayor and council members. I spent a couple of hours in the bertha knight room with all the dept. heads and thier staff and visitors milling around the exhibit tables and talking about the different dept. and programs this year. I meet alot of nice people, alot were taken back by the gun in my tactical holster but no problems till the end, when this sargent that was standing with the chief of police the whole 2-3 hours I was in the room, came over and said some ladies complained about my gun, ask me if it was a gun, and then told me I had to leave. I told him the head of security knew all about it and I took the sargent over to the security desk to confirm it. The head of security was also handleing the mayors protection detail. It was funny that I had a undercover cop follow me when I went up stairs and back in the lobby during the mayors speech. I apoligised to the officer for having to baby sit me and during the speech I stood as far away as I could and still hear the speech. I'm glad I went, and participated, and nothing bad happened.