• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alochol and carrying

Aknazer

NO. I don't subscribe to grin and bear it but I don't buy your defense of drinking and carrying. I am especially bothered by your comment "I don't drink when I hunt. When I humt I plan to discharge my weapon and I want to be at my sharpest. Hunting is different than self-defense". Are you implying that it is more important to be at your sharpest when attempting to kill an animal than when carrying a firearm for self defense and, heaven forbid, maybe having to use it to kill a human? I can hardly believe that is what you meant but my comments did not imply that I would be so ludicrous as to ask my wife to endure a rape because someone broke in the house and attacked her. There is a whale of a lot of difference between defending yourself in the case of a home invasion, regardless the amount of alcohol and becomming "not at one's sharpest" while carrying a firearm in public due to alcohol.

I can easily say that one needs to be sharper when hunting wildlife than when defending theirself. Why? Because when hunting wildlife you're often talking about shooting something 25-50+ yards away from you and that takes far more concentration than drawing your gun (which scares off most perps) and shooting someone who is often less than 10 yards from you (in case simply drawing your weapon doesn't deter them). I can also tell you that if I were to have a few drinks (aka not drinking more than 3-4 drinks for me) I could still properly aim my gun to defend myself and make logical choices. Who are you to tell me that I wouldn't be responsible when you don't even know me.

Now if I were going to a bar with the sole intent to get plastered I wouldn't carry, but that is because I don't trust myself at that point (I wouldn't trust my aim or my judgement). But that is a choice for me to make and the law can't provide that point because every person is different. Instead what should happen is people should be able to carry, they should be judged by the laws already in place, and if alcohol is found to be a factor then use that to increase a negative sentence. but people shouldn't be judged before committing a crime. And saying that no one should mix guns and alcohol is judging everyone before they even commit a crime.

Passive101

When fight or flight mode happens from adrenaline being released into the blood stream you still have your animal brain that is usually functioning. For those who don't know it's attached directly to your brain stem. Many of the other parts took much longer to form...anyways.

That part of your brain will be the last to shut down from alcohol which begins to shut down the brain cells in the cerebral cortex first. A very intoxicated person can make split second life and death decisions even in this state. Long term not so much (such as driving). can everyone do this? Yes. However not to the same extent since everyone is different. Once adrenaline is released you are very much an animal more so then a human in many ways even while sober. There are a LOT of changes in the human body during and after the release of adrenaline.

Stress and fear are much more deadly then alcohol in split second decisions. Ask a fighter. Most fighters, boxers, martial artists, or athletes can perform amazingly well completely intoxicated for short times. How many artists perform intoxicated & high at the same time? The human brain is amazing no matter how we came to have it. My brother is a programmer and his work in Madison allows them to drink (just not to intoxication) while coding in their building. (He creates security software of some type).

Self defense should never be taken away. If someone is being responsible then more power to them. If they're not (pretty rare for legal or otherwise legal carriers) They should pay the consequences (as everyone should).

I am amazed at how many people are so strongly against this. This is the same thing we tell children and kids in school which makes other adults hypocrites. Don't drink, don't smoke, don't try weed, don't have sex, don't speed, turn the other cheek when it's exactly what the majority of all adults do. I think even Glee did an entire episode about this ;)

Maybe the Department of Education should be in charge of the training and rule making for the right to carry in WI? Clearly no tolerance polices are working wonders there and all kids now follow the rules?

Last edited:

MKEgal

Captain Nemo said:
Are you implying that it is more important to be at your sharpest when attempting to kill an animal than when carrying a firearm for self defense and, heaven forbid, maybe having to use it to kill a human?
When you go hunting, you know (or at least very strongly suspect / hope) you are going to be firing that gun.
When you carry during your everyday activities, you can probably go decades (most people) without even thinking you might need to draw, let alone shooting.
And as Aknazer pointed out, game will generally be further away than an attacker, moving faster, & becoming a smaller target.

Aknazer said:
I can also tell you that if I were to have a few drinks (aka not drinking more than 3-4 drinks for me) I could still properly aim my gun to defend myself and make logical choices.
Here we're back to my idea of an educational video. :lol:
Start sober, shoot a couple targets, have a drink, wait 15 min.
Shoot some more targets, have a drink, wait 15 min.
Repeat a couple more times.
Track the scores against ETOH consumed & time elapsed to show impairment.
If we could get hold of a breathalizer that would add to the data.

Of course, there would be safety people around to load the pistol & physically make sure that the shooter kept it pointed downrange. (One person standing close on each side, ready to grab & control the arm.)

The drinker/shooter would only handle the pistol to pick it up from the bench, shoot, & set it down again.
Have to have someone to drive the drunk home at the end of the exercise, of course.

Badger Johnson

If some 'drink and shoot people' fans are this belligerent sober, how are they with the requisite 3-4 beers in them?

People who have to consume alcohol are simply weak-willed, and if they carry a HG they are irresponsible in such an (often) combative state.

Interceptor_Knight

No. There's not a "whale of a lot of difference," and that's why you're hypocrite. If after consuming alcohol I find myself staring down the barrel of a 45 within the bounds of twigs, plastic and glass that defines my "castle," or if I'm in the middle of State Street in Madison Wisconsin with a meals worth of Point Amber coursing through my veins... I still have the right to defend my life.

Throughout the thread you have been blurring the lines on 3 seperate issues. 2 of these issues are addressed by 2 seperate set of Statutes.
The first set is for self defense. Your right to defend your life if there is an imminent threat to it is never negated by the simple act of consuming alcohol or even a controlled substance. You will find no exception in any common law standard or in WI Statutes for being under the influence or at some arbitrary BAC level.
The other set is regarding the act of arming yourself while under the influence or while/after consuming drugs and/or alcohol. I support lifting the prohibition of being in a tavern or any other place with a Class B license while armed. I also support a penalty for being under the influence while carrying. It is defined in the Statute by your actions and not BAC. If you do something stupid with your gun because you have been drinking, there should be a stupidity penalty as you have demonstrated that you are not capable of acting responsibly on your own and need to be punished like a child.
The 3rd issue is simple common sense. I have zero problems with someone having a beer while armed. Any reasonable person standard supports this. Whether armed or not or whether you intend to drive or not, if a person can not show the self control to stop after a beer or 2 or to consume at a rate slow enough to keep you out of trouble, you need to be honest with yourself that there is a problem. If you are going out with the intention of hanging one on, leave your handgun in the car. If you decide that you simply have to be armed at all times, drink soda. With the right comes responsibility. If you are sober, you are better able to defend yourself and those around you if you choose to do so.
No matter where you are or what you are doing, drawing your handgun is always your last line of defense. Keep in mind that in a crowd, and especially in a crowded bar, even if you are armed that it may be better to use some other weapon of opportunity than to draw and fire.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
If I'm leaving a restaurant downtown Milwaukee with my girlfriend after having had ONE drink (bourbon please) with my steak dinner... If a bad-guy with a knife comes out from between buildings and comes at me or my girlfriend I'm CONVINCED I will prefer to be armed and will HAPPILY deal with the consequences of carrying after having had one drink VS the alternative of having ANY harm come to my girlfriend or I.

If I'm going out for the night for a 5 hour bender bachelor party with the boys. I won't carry.

That's called discretion... That's called making a personal decision.

XDFDE45

If I'm leaving a restaurant downtown Milwaukee with my girlfriend after having had ONE drink (bourbon please) with my steak dinner... If a bad-guy with a knife comes out from between buildings and comes at me or my girlfriend I'm CONVINCED I will prefer to be armed and will HAPPILY deal with the consequences of carrying after having had one drink VS the alternative of having ANY harm come to my girlfriend or I.

If I'm going out for the night for a 5 hour bender bachelor party with the boys. I won't carry.

That's called discretion... That's called making a personal decision.
This ^^^^

Trip20

Blurring? Hmm... ok. I'm addressing the issue as a whole because it is all intertwined.

If you want to discuss the finer facets, fine.

Your right to defend your life if there is an imminent threat to it is never negated by the simple act of consuming alcohol or even a controlled substance. You will find no exception in any common law standard or in WI Statutes for being under the influence or at some arbitrary BAC level.

Correct, and I'd like it to remain that way.

However, some of the antis in this thread would like to remove my ability to do so with the most effective means available (i.e., my firearm) upon the consumption of alcohol.

We assert our ability to defend ourselves is being severely limited by The State because we're disallowed from concealed carrying at all right now. I'm taking that same argument a step further by applying it to what others would do in this thread.

I support lifting the prohibition of being in a tavern or any other place with a Class B license while armed.

Look at that. Common ground.

I also support a penalty for being under the influence while carrying. It is defined in the Statute by your actions and not BAC. If you do something stupid with your gun because you have been drinking, there should be a stupidity penalty as you have demonstrated that you are not capable of acting responsibly on your own and need to be punished like a child.

This is where we definitely part ways.

I support penalties for committing illegal acts with a firearm. Those acts are already illegal right now today and you can bet your bottom dollar there are plenty of penalties on the books for you to pay. That is enough. If you do "something stupid with your gun" you already have a penalty to pay because of those aforementioned laws.

That alcohol is part of the "totality of the circumstances" should not change the penalty. The illegal act should be penalized the same whether sober or drunk because the consequence is the same. If you threaten someone with your weapon because you're sober and angry, or whether you're drunk and full of bravado... you're an idiot of equal proportion. Take it further, you shoot in that same scenario. Same same… you’re toast and you deserve what you get.

To imply this additional statute is somehow necessary is exactly what's going on right now with concealed carry. For years we've heard opposition to concealed carry based on the fact that criminals use guns to commit crimes and thus we do not need more guns on the street.

Pro CC folks counter by advising only the law-abiding follow the law; criminals do not respect the concealed carry prohibition. Criminals will continue to commit their crimes with their choice of weapon and carry method. In essence, we say prohibition on concealed carry purely limits the law-abiding, and in the ends merely adds up to one additional misdemeanor charge thrown on the scumbag criminal's court docket. The concealed carry statute is unnecessary.

Why then should my ability to exercise my Rights be curtailed by the actions of the lawless (lawless = those folks you envision getting hammered and doing stupid things…)? See my signature line.

The 3rd issue is simple common sense. I have zero problems with someone having a beer while armed. Any reasonable person standard supports this. Whether armed or not or whether you intend to drive or not, if a person can not show the self control to stop after a beer or 2 or to consume at a rate slow enough to keep you out of trouble, you need to be honest with yourself that there is a problem. If you are going out with the intention of hanging one on, leave your handgun in the car. If you decide that you simply have to be armed at all times, drink soda. With the right comes responsibility. If you are sober, you are better able to defend yourself and those around you if you choose to do so.
No matter where you are or what you are doing, drawing your handgun is always your last line of defense. Keep in mind that in a crowd, and especially in a crowded bar, even if you are armed that it may be better to use some other weapon of opportunity than to draw and fire.

You have zero problems with someone having a beer. Well I’m sure those people are glad they have your blessing.

I appreciate the reminder that a firearm is the last line of defense, and the advice on shooting in to a crowd……. I thought that was “common sense”, but I suppose not since you felt it important to convey the idea (???).

Look. I have absolutely NO intension of getting sloshed with a pistol on my hip. The last thing I want is the responsibility of having a firearm to look after when I’m drunk.

That’s called personal responsibility, and that is what I support in lieu of “common sense”.

It’s funny that you use the term “common sense”. It reminds me of when antis want to put “common sense” restrictions in our bill such as training, permitting and such.

Aknazer

If some 'drink and shoot people' fans are this belligerent sober, how are they with the requisite 3-4 beers in them?

People who have to consume alcohol are simply weak-willed, and if they carry a HG they are irresponsible in such an (often) combative state.

Who said any of us "have" to consume alcohol? We're simply saying that if we CHOOSE to consume alcohol we shouldn't lose our RIGHT to self defense. We are also saying that the point that it becomes irresponsible to both carry and drink should be made at the discretion of the carrier rather than an arbitrary law that can't distinguish the differences between people. And that if someone does something stupid with their weapon while drinking then that one person should be judged according to their actions rather than painting everyone who drinks with the same brush.

protias

I don't have to consume alcohol, but I do enjoy a good beer. In fact, Katie Luther (Martin Luther's wife) was known for brewing a good German beer.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Personally I agree with Nik, et al; freedom trumps social engineering.

Here's a link to an article regarding "one of the many side effects of booze: assuming that others’ actions are intentional." The article summarizes a study that shows that alcohol consumption affects how we interpret, and misinterpret, the intentions of others.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/10/drunks-see-intent/

It's an interesting article and germane to the topic.

Interceptor_Knight

This is where we definitely part ways.

I support penalties for committing illegal acts with a firearm. Those acts are already illegal right now today and you can bet your bottom dollar there are plenty of penalties on the books for you to pay. That is enough. If you do "something stupid with your gun" you already have a penalty to pay because of those aforementioned laws.

That alcohol is part of the "totality of the circumstances" should not change the penalty.
Why then should my ability to exercise my Rights be curtailed by the actions of the lawless (lawless = those folks you envision getting hammered and doing stupid things…)? See my signature line.

That’s called personal responsibility, and that is what I support in lieu of “common sense”.

It’s funny that you use the term “common sense”. It reminds me of when antis want to put “common sense” restrictions in our bill such as training, permitting and such.

An individual's sense of "personable responsibility" is not enough. I do not buy into the belief that the mere act of driving a car or walking around while OC or CC under the influence are simply "victimless" crimes and you should not be prosecuted for it. Having a penalty for doing so is a deterrent which works. Of course it is only a deterrent for the law abiding as idiots continue to get multiple DUI violations. Carrying a firearm while under the influence is doing a stupid thing. There is no need to commit additional offenses to prove one's stupidity.

Interceptor_Knight

Who said any of us "have" to consume alcohol? We're simply saying that if we CHOOSE to consume alcohol we shouldn't lose our RIGHT to self defense. We are also saying that the point that it becomes irresponsible to both carry and drink should be made at the discretion of the carrier rather than an arbitrary law that can't distinguish the differences between people. And that if someone does something stupid with their weapon while drinking then that one person should be judged according to their actions rather than painting everyone who drinks with the same brush.
As I already mentioned, the WI Self defense Statute makes no requirement of sobriety. You never loose your right to self defense.
The current law is not arbitrary regarding "Under The Influence". It penalizes you for proving your indiscretion. There is no BAC mentioned. The addition of a BAC should not offend anyone unless their lack of discretion dictates that they must maintain a BAC at or above .08 or whatever number is decided. The right to carry has the responsibility for you to remain sober. It is an individual's choice to deliberately consume alcohol. You can decide whether or not consuming alcohol is more important than beingable to legally carry a firearm or drive a car.

nonameisgood

Local PD made a call a couple of weeks ago to the car of a responsible carrier. He had gone out with friends to dinner and "had one drink.". On the way a few doors down to a bar, he stopped at his car to stow his weapon. He decided to unload it... by putting a through-and-through in his wrist (presumably while trying to cycle the slide.)

PD took his word on the alcohol intake and circumstance, chalking it up to poor firearms handling.
Stay safe.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

This post says more about you and your attitude than it does about anybody else.

Get over yourself.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I do not buy into the belief that the mere act of driving a car or walking around while OC or CC under the influence are simply "victimless" crimes and you should not be prosecuted for it.
Well, they are. Can you identify a victim?

Having a penalty for doing so is a deterrent which works.
Cite to reason or authority, please.

Of course it is only a deterrent for the law abiding as idiots continue to get multiple DUI violations. Carrying a firearm while under the influence is doing a stupid thing. There is no need to commit additional offenses to prove one's stupidity.

There is no individual who would get drunk enough to create a problem that is "law-abiding", by definition.

The people we're worried about, they aren't anything like you.

Trip20

An individual's sense of "personable responsibility" is not enough. I do not buy into the belief that the mere act of driving a car or walking around while OC or CC under the influence are simply "victimless" crimes and you should not be prosecuted for it.

Again with the driving/2A comparison. What's with you people? Haven't we demonstrated time and time again these these two functions are inherently different!

Having a penalty for doing so is a deterrent which works. Of course it is only a deterrent for the law abiding as idiots continue to get multiple DUI violations. Carrying a firearm while under the influence is doing a stupid thing. There is no need to commit additional offenses to prove one's stupidity.

It's silly that you believe you can stop crime with law. Law does not prevent crime. You admit it here yourself with the bold statement. It simply acts as a vehicle to punish once something has occurred.

But you don't believe we should wait until someone does something wrong before we punish them. No, you believe we should proactively curtail freedoms and behavior through law. That is wrong on so many levels I don't know where to begin.