• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

And it begins - federal troops to police US Citizens?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Exactly!

Our National Guard units nationwide have BEEN AT WAR for the last 12 years. Iraq and Afghanistan deployments...
The first two responses in this thread have shown that the National Guard is federal when called to active duty by the federal government. At all other times, they are not federal. Is there a correction to this you wish to make?

I'm one of the last people here one might call a statist, and yet I'm agreeing on this one point with the guy I think you are talking about.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
While I agree that NG are not federal until federalized, I don't think it really matters all that much.

Troops is troops. They'll be obeying the orders of criminals in government, state or federal. And, they'll be carrying military weapons.

And, in the big picture, its a little late to worry about who's holding their leash. Police have become paramilitary organizations.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
While I agree that NG are not federal until federalized, I don't think it really matters all that much...

When that point is settled, I also agree with this.

What is the National Guard but a state-organized militia? How about starting with the unorganized militia first? The right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms! Wow, what a concept.

davidmcbeth

Banned
While I agree that NG are not federal until federalized, I don't think it really matters all that much.

Troops is troops. They'll be obeying the orders of criminals in government, state or federal. And, they'll be carrying military weapons.

And, in the big picture, its a little late to worry about who's holding their leash. Police have become paramilitary organizations.

An easy way of looking at things ...

EMNofSeattle

you mean 9mm pistols and AR-15s?
sounds like what just about every gun owners in America has.....

Logan 5

I do not support the use of state or federal troops to clean up what the democrats have screwed up. However...
if they want the job done right the first time, let's call in the experts- The 319th Missile Squadron, 90th Missile Wing, F.E.Warren Air Force Base.

If they can't fix it, nobody can!

DocWalker

Does anyone else find it frighting ironic that the state, more specifically Chicago is run by dirty leaders.

How many of the last few govenors have done jail/prison time?

The mayor is a crock from the current presidents inner circle. He had time to do a tv show "the great American food truck race" for last nights show; he didn't seemed to concerned about people in his city being killed as he was more interested in judging the pizza contest.

I think Chicago and IL is the most corrupt state in the country next to Washington D.C.

DocWalker

you mean 9mm pistols and AR-15s?
sounds like what just about every gun owners in America has.....

Actually they will be carrying the m-16 or M4 version which unlike the AR-15 can go to three round burst or full auto. But once the troops are on the street all our criminal in chief has to do is sign a paper and now they are federal troops.

DocWalker

I do not support the use of state or federal troops to clean up what the democrats have screwed up. However...
if they want the job done right the first time, let's call in the experts- The 319th Missile Squadron, 90th Missile Wing, F.E.Warren Air Force Base.

If they can't fix it, nobody can!

Hmmmm.....one missle over Chicago? Can you send one to D.C also?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I'm not an expert, but aren't they under the command of the governor unless called to active duty by the President? Aren't they all residents of the state?Are they federal troops when not called to active duty by the President? My guess is no.

This is Truth!!

I DO NOT support this act. The National Guard troops are trained to fight in WARS, not to patrol and police the streets of our Republic. They are COMBAT trained. These troops are NOT trained in aspects of Constitutional law or Civil law. They are NOT educated in matters of State law and State court precedent. They are NOT educated in matters of Federal court precedent. They are trained to FIGHT in the defense of our nation, not to police the streets of it.
really?

I served in the Military for thirty-five years before my medical retirement.
I was assigned to Nat Gd units in several states as a full time trainer and the CinC was the Governor, unless the unit was federally mobilized, and then it was transferred to the potus.
In some states the guard fights fires, helps with flood duty, and, in some cases, riot duty (Newark comes to mind). When mobilized for War, they are federal, not state troops. We did train to "police the streets". With a duel mission, NG troops train for both local support and as a back-up (and sometimes in front of) Active duty troops.
As an NG trainer, we prepared for civil duties, fire, flood, civil insurrection and the like. In NJ we even had a "weather route" to pick up and deliver needed medical personnel to hospitals in order to keep them open during extreme storms.

Chicago is a failed city. They cannot clean this city up alone, they just do not have the resources. Is chicago on the same level as newark was during their riots?? Not yet, but it is getting there. NG troops would support the local PeeDee and they would be under the control of the Governor.

As for Armed troops. In newark we were not "allowed" to hot load our weapons. My Scouts carried an extra mag(marked in red paint) with silvertips, as a "just in case". Not legal at the time, but we were not stupid either.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Does anyone else find it frighting ironic that the state, more specifically Chicago is run by dirty leaders.

How many of the last few govenors have done jail/prison time?

The mayor is a crock from the current presidents inner circle. He had time to do a tv show "the great American food truck race" for last nights show; he didn't seemed to concerned about people in his city being killed as he was more interested in judging the pizza contest.

I think Chicago and IL is the most corrupt state in the country next to Washington D.C.

Pizza is serious business in the Windy City ... rather have him doing that than anything else. Have a heart attack soon Mayor freak-face.

Maybe Bill Daley will run for Mayor....Old man Daley was OK, his kid much less so.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
While I agree with you, the fact is that you could train these soldiers to a higher degree of Constitutional respect for civilians than the cops have in one afternoon.

Probable, but we must look at the past. During Katrina, the National Guard troops jumped right in with local police and insidiously deprived people of their rights -- rights ALL Americans have knowledge of. They then used the "we were just following orders" defense and all was well.

I know many of veterans that have complete respect for the Constitution (and yes they would make EXCELLENT peace officers), but what was witnessed during Katrina is very scary. They could be taught in one day, but they wouldn't be. Keep in mind they will be working with the Chicago Police Department, and I believe we all know what that means.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
This is Truth!!

really?

I was assigned to Nat Gd units in several states as a full time trainer and the CinC was the Governor, unless the unit was federally mobilized, and then it was transferred to the potus.
In some states the guard fights fires, helps with flood duty, and, in some cases, riot duty (Newark comes to mind). When mobilized for War, they are federal, not state troops. We did train to "police the streets". With a duel mission, NG troops train for both local support and as a back-up (and sometimes in front of) Active duty troops.
As an NG trainer, we prepared for civil duties, fire, flood, civil insurrection and the like. In NJ we even had a "weather route" to pick up and deliver needed medical personnel to hospitals in order to keep them open during extreme storms.

Chicago is a failed city. They cannot clean this city up alone, they just do not have the resources. Is chicago on the same level as newark was during their riots?? Not yet, but it is getting there. NG troops would support the local PeeDee and they would be under the control of the Governor.

As for Armed troops. In newark we were not "allowed" to hot load our weapons. My Scouts carried an extra mag(marked in red paint) with silvertips, as a "just in case". Not legal at the time, but we were not stupid either.

What does any of the above have to do with Constitutional rights and law? What does it have to do with Civil rights and law?

See my post above.

davidmcbeth

Banned
This is Truth!!

really?

And the regular Army has been training in the same thing - civil disturbance quelling and supv. local PDs.

So has your civil disturbance training been for the feds or the state?

See, even you don't know.