• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Announcing Long Gun Coming Out Day, October 22, 2011.

dirtbike

Open Carry Parties - Should have Never Happened

Hi Guys/Gals,

I am all about my second amendment right to bear arms, but we live in CA and come on, were not going to change everyone.

When I first heard of the Starbucks and Nations Hamburgers open carry parties, I thought oh no, now that the general public knows about our right to openly carry an unloaded handgun they are going to get them banned. The law was designed so we could defend ourselves not throw massive handgun parties at the local coffee shop next to thousands of people who hate guns......I know that's our right but look what happened - you guys got our rights taken away (there was no battle to win as it was already legal, you guys got it banned!)

Congrats - you guys/gals got it banned in short order.

Keep up the good work - soon we wont be able to transport long guns - go long gun parties! Are opponents sure love them!

Good lawyers fight battles they know they have a chance in winning. While you were in the right law wise, you succeeded in making sure my kids can't openly carry - again this was already the law so you didn't prove anything except riling people up and getting more laws against us passed.

Please direct your efforts in a way that can help our cause - not give ammunition to our opponents. i.e - do you want 30 people carrying handguns at Starbucks - most people in CA (i.e. the common public) would say, probably not - that's not what the law was designed for - it was designed so we could defend ourselves not throw massive handgun parties at the local coffee shop next to thousands of people who hate guns......

Do NOT conduct more carry parties which will surely lead to more restrictive laws!

I know it's harder to actually contribute to the cause (versus this BS effort that got our rights further diminished) but please don't retract from our efforts further.

Last edited:

A ECNALG

I am all about my second amendment right to bear arms

"MY" second amendment rights?! I thought that they were "OUR" second amendment rights!

...now that the general public knows about our right to openly carry an unloaded handgun they are going to get them banned

Oh my God! "OUR" dirty little secret is out! Now that the damn general public knows about "OUR" right to openly carry, the damned, dirty, stinkin' general public is going to ban it! It is not "OUR" right, but the whole, damn, dirty, stinkin' general public's right that has been promoted through group open carry! And it is not "OUR" right that the governor signed away, but the whole damn ugly general public's right that has been eliminated.

YUP, that's right! Open carry should have been kept the secret of only the elite few who are fortunate enough to live so far out in BFE that they would neither be noticed by law enforcement, nor have to worry about GFSZ's every three blocks, unlike the majority of us who live in more urbanized areas and are more at risk of criminal predation!

And solo open carry might be a breeze where you live, but it is frought with hazard in more urbanized areas in the form of "bunker mentality" law enforcement who fear an armed citizenry, and are either hostile to open carry laws, or have been ignorant of them (at least until group carry events compelled an education of LE to occur).

The law was designed so we could defend ourselves

Then quite obviously, the legislature and governor truly don't give a rats fuzzy rip about decent folk defending themselves, or haven't you lived in California long enough to figure this one out by now.

you guys got our rights taken away

So, by exercising and promoting our "rights", we awakened the sleeping giant and compelled him to take our "rights" away. Damned pesky "rights" ! Better stop promoting our 1st, 4th and 5th Amendments "rights" while were at it!

you succeeded in making sure my kids can't openly carry

Me, me, me...my, my, my ! It really is all about you, you, you, isn't it? Oh, boo, hoo!

Please direct your efforts in a way that can help our cause

For instance? I suppose sending boat loads of money to NRA, CRPA, SAF, et cetera, to lobby for or against legislation is one thing. Directly supporting pro-gun candidates is another, to be sure. But after more than two decades of being in this fight, I see few gains. The errosion of gun rights in California has been incremental and continual.

Do NOT conduct more carry parties which will surely lead to more restrictive laws!

I'll give this request all the consideration it deserves.

Born2Lose

Hi Guys/Gals,

I am all about my second amendment right to bear arms, but we live in CA and come on, were not going to change everyone.

When I first heard of the Starbucks and Nations Hamburgers open carry parties, I thought oh no, now that the general public knows about our right to openly carry an unloaded handgun they are going to get them banned. The law was designed so we could defend ourselves not throw massive handgun parties at the local coffee shop next to thousands of people who hate guns......I know that's our right but look what happened - you guys got our rights taken away (there was no battle to win as it was already legal, you guys got it banned!)

Keep up the good work - soon we wont be able to transport long guns - go long gun parties! Are opponents sure love them!

Good lawyers fight battles they know they have a chance in winning. While you were in the right law wise, you succeeded in making sure my kids can't openly carry - again this was already the law so you didn't prove anything except riling people up and getting more laws against us passed.

Please direct your efforts in a way that can help our cause - not give ammunition to our opponents. i.e - do you want 30 people carrying handguns at Starbucks - most people in CA (i.e. the common public) would say, probably not - that's not what the law was designed for - it was designed so we could defend ourselves not throw massive handgun parties at the local coffee shop next to thousands of people who hate guns......

I know it's harder to actually contribute to the cause (versus this BS effort that got our rights further diminished) but please don't retract from our efforts further.
Did you even read the entire string before posting this? This "don't do it our they'll ban it" argument has been addressed a few times.

Sent from behind enemy lines using Tapatalk

pullnshoot25

(to be posted on the Calguns Facebook group)

Since a) I am banned from the Calguns forum and b) the collective mental capacity of Calguns members can't seem to remember simple history nor do simple fact checking, I will make a post here.

I've been reading some of the posts on Calguns (big mistake but hey, we all make them) and here on OCDO and I keep seeing this stupid crap about how group UOC got AB144 pushed through, that UOC members don't care about our rights, etc. Here are a few factoids for you all to chew on.

1) It was not group UOC but a SINGLE event involving a SINGLE person that drew Lori Saldana into a huff to write AB1934. That event was when my brother, Sam Wolanyk, was drawn down on and falsely arrested for non-existent crimes by our favorite simpletons and asshats at the SDPD. You may recall the subsequent lawsuit where they settled for 35k instead of simply training their officers in not screwing up their basic job tasks. Everything else that followed was fluff.

2) The first real major UOC demonstration was in response to that arrest and I feel it was pretty much a blazing success in terms of PR, outreach and overall control of the message. Believe it or not, I am pretty sure that lone UOC was discouraged at that time and I was probably one of the very few that was going it alone leading up to the larger events. Before that particular demonstration, there were two other get-togethers here in SD at El Indio restaurant on their patio. I didn't make the first one but I did make the second one.

3) Many people keep posting about how UOC was fine until it was done in groups, completely forgetting that cops would be on a UOCer like a fly on crap unless the UOCers, singly or in groups, got the officers "trained" to not go full retard every time they say someone *GASP!* FOLLOWING THE FRIGGING LAW!

4) There have been several attempts already at banning UOC that failed over the last 10 years or so. I believe AB144 was the 5-6th attempt to do so. The desire to close the "loophole" has been around for a while.

Keep in mind this isn't a justification for anything, this is just a writing of facts/opinions as I remember them.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
1) It was not group UOC but a SINGLE event involving a SINGLE person that drew Lori Saldana into a huff to write AB1934. That event was when my brother, Sam Wolanyk, was drawn down on and falsely arrested for non-existent crimes by our favorite simpletons and asshats at the SDPD. You may recall the subsequent lawsuit where they settled for 35k instead of simply training their officers in not screwing up their basic job tasks. Everything else that followed was fluff.

See- none of us knew that until after the suit was settled. (Which is how it should be, instead of posting the video or account of the abuses that were suffered the day after, without having counsel review it.)

4) There have been several attempts already at banning UOC that failed over the last 10 years or so. I believe AB144 was the 5-6th attempt to do so. The desire to close the "loophole" has been around for a while.

QFT- There was a bill in 2004 to ban open carry if I recall correctly. (This was even before the nationwide open carry movement had kicked off.) As well as an attempt to change the definition of loaded weapons in 2008 that would have banned open carry in UNincorporated areas in California.

Save Our State

Hi Guys/Gals,

It's a catch 22 situation. I didn't go out with my longun in a large group of people. It was alone. I didn't go for coffee or dinner; I hiked to the gun range. the response to it once was code 3, guns leveled at me, cuffing, etc. A simple act that I previously did in my life was now more of an issue and a threat than an actual illegal act. Stigmatized it was. basically the government through their law enforcement powers are making it uncomfortable and possibly unsafe to have a gun in the public view. How would the majority even know that this was happening unless it was brought to their attention? We may have lost open carry, temporarily or permanently, but at least people know the government is taking away our rights, culture and freedom. Your way, the silent, compromising, or apathetic approach accomplishes the nefarious plan. Ours at least addresses the issue.

dirtbike

Life is made up of short term scenarios that eventually make up the long term picture. In the short term this action brought out the wrong response from an overwhelming majority who don't like us and whether you think the open carry parties, etc helped our hurt our cause - open carry is now illegal - I am going to go out on a limb here and say it probably didn't help..... Who knows if we ever get the right back - Why pursue a battle you know your not going to win - especially when losing the battle takes away the right that you intended on preserving and had in the first place.

Save Our State

Who knows if we ever get the right back - Why pursue a battle you know your not going to win - especially when losing the battle takes away the right that you intended on preserving and had in the first place.

It must not have been a right in the first place, else it couldn't have been taken away by statute. Rights are inalienable; privileges are revocable. Do you want privileges or rights?

dirtbike

You mention rights are inalienable but they just took our right to open carry, effective 01/01/12, law wise at least which is what I was referring to.

It must not have been a right in the first place, else it couldn't have been taken away by statute. Rights are inalienable; privileges are revocable. Do you want privileges or rights?

GWbiker

Not the gun owners who got AB144 enacted, it was the whinny weepy eyed liberal minded sheeple in California who believe that rocks, trees and tiny frogs have more rights over fellow humans.

These sheeple coerced/badgered/threatened police heads and other political hacks to "Do something about these, uh GUNS"....and the spineless political hacks did just as instructed. They bumped AB144 up the Democratic stairs to Governor Jerry Dufus.

So, while California has AB144 as law to take effect January first, to gun owners free states everywhere, the sunshine state remains the Land of Fruits, Nuts, Flakes and weepy eyed liberals who urinate themselves at the sight of a gun.

Last edited:

JBolder

......... In the short term this action brought out the wrong response from an overwhelming majority who don't like us and whether you think the open carry parties, etc helped our hurt our cause - open carry is now illegal .

Sacramento pols are not the"overwhelming majority", they are a criminal minority. They are the reason that open carry is
now illegal.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Remember it all so well....

(to be posted on the Calguns Facebook group)

Since a) I am banned from the Calguns forum and b) the collective mental capacity of Calguns members can't seem to remember simple history nor do simple fact checking, I will make a post here.

I've been reading some of the posts on Calguns (big mistake but hey, we all make them) and here on OCDO and I keep seeing this stupid crap about how group UOC got AB144 pushed through, that UOC members don't care about our rights, etc. Here are a few factoids for you all to chew on.

2) The first real major UOC demonstration was in response to that arrest and I feel it was pretty much a blazing success in terms of PR, outreach and overall control of the message. Believe it or not, I am pretty sure that lone UOC was discouraged at that time and I was probably one of the very few that was going it alone leading up to the larger events. Before that particular demonstration, there were two other get-togethers here in SD at El Indio restaurant on their patio. I didn't make the first one but I did make the second one.

3) Many people keep posting about how UOC was fine until it was done in groups, completely forgetting that cops would be on a UOCer like a fly on crap unless the UOCers, singly or in groups, got the officers "trained" to not go full retard every time they say someone *GASP!* FOLLOWING THE FRIGGING LAW!

Keep in mind this isn't a justification for anything, this is just a writing of facts/opinions as I remember them.
Plus not forgetting the OC event in Mission beach where you made the front page news of the local mag. Plus the long drive to sacramento while carrying an unloaded pistol in your backpack ....also a good time was had by all at the Catfish club at Balboa with Lori Saldana being put in her place many times....Sorry to hear you are "on the fence" when it comes to LGOC but we are certainly thankful of the time and effort that everyone in the UOC movement has deemed necessary to combat the Anti UOC crowd. Just hoped that there would have been way more legal gun carriers at Pacific beach last weekend. Thousands of UOC'ers viewed sam's invite (great vid sam :) ) and 25-40 actually turned up which was great to see but slightly disappointed in the lack of numbers.... musta been some serious "honey do lists" or "retail therapy" that was more important than the UOC - LGOC demonstration at Pacific beach ....it was great day to get the Remmy 870 out to the beach and seeing the various ARs Garands SKS's and various pistols without the "general public" going into complete meltdown. Now where do we go from here .....LGOC is not my preferred method of protection....although I have got my times down for speedily making my LG ready ....practice makes perfect...I will UOC my pistols daily with the odd LGOC as the mood takes me....although my truck is equipped to carry my AR and shotgun simultaneously...my pistols are/were my preferred choice until 2359 0n 1/1/2012 .......Thanks to everyone who truly believes that this is not over yet.....Carry On !!!

Last edited:

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
It's about time.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ySJOsDSH8

By banning the open carry of handguns effective January 1, 2012, Governor Jerry Brown wants us to carry long guns for the defense of ourselves and our community, and we are happy to oblige. Get your rifles and shotguns out of the closet and polished up, It's Coming Out Day October 22, 2011!

Southern California event will be at high noon, October 22, in Pacific Beach at the end of Felspar Street on the bluff above the beach. Come and meet like minded individuals and then maybe grab lunch at a local business. Besides your weapon(s) bring along anyone who cares about freedom to celebrate Jerry Brown pushing us to do the right thing. But leave the camouflage at home, please.

See www.responsiblecitizensofcalifornia.org for information on the northern California meetup on that same date, or search facebook for "Long Guns Coming Out Meetup".

Carry on!

Sam
We try to get more than 25 long gun carriers in a public place at any one time anyone interested as since the "Long Guns Coming Out Meetup" not been able to have a group Meetup, Have rifles and shotguns and willing to travel (within reason as gas being $4.24 a gallon).....well its a sad day as no one can be bothered to UOC long guns as a group so I'll carry mine on my own till it gets banned also. Still no real problems with PD

Last edited: