• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ANOTHER CPL class?? Metro Detroit area.

Amber

imported post

Hello! My boyfriend and his brother will be there to take the class on Sunday and we are really looking forward to it. :)

I have a few questions, though, about the requirments for passing the basic CPL class.

I know someone asked earlier if we would have to shooting 5 rounds at an 8.5 by 14 inch target at 15 feet away (3 times no misses). I was just wondering if that is officially what has to be done to complete the class? Or if there was any other testing of any sort?

Any information about the class that you could give me would be great. I was at skipcoryell.com and found a lot of what I was looking for, but it's always good to be thourough and informed when you go into something, right?

Thanks for your time! :)

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Amber wrote:
Hello! My boyfriend and his brother will be there to take the class on Sunday and we are really looking forward to it. :)

I have a few questions, though, about the requirments for passing the basic CPL class.

I know someone asked earlier if we would have to shooting 5 rounds at an 8.5 by 14 inch target at 15 feet away (3 times no misses). I was just wondering if that is officially what has to be done to complete the class? Or if there was any other testing of any sort?

Any information about the class that you could give me would be great. I was at skipcoryell.com and found a lot of what I was looking for, but it's always good to be thourough and informed when you go into something, right?

Thanks for your time! :)
I believe the requirement is to be able to hit a 8x10 inch sheet of paper consistently. The range officers will check on each persons shooting ability and will work with them individually. Skip has his students shoot a lot of rounds, 6 rounds at a time from a variety of positions and with both hands.

I wouldn't worry too much about the shooting portion, if anyone needs extra time and more shooting they will get it. Improvement is what they are looking for.

eastmeyers

imported post

Okay so do we now have totals?

I will be their, helping out, not taking the class.

I am paying for my father-in-law to come out and take the class.

Also has anyone made a list for the pot luck? I want to bring my famous chips and dip, I need to know if I will have access to an outlet to plug in a crock pot. If not I will bring something else.

Venator

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
Okay so do we now have totals?

I will be their, helping out, not taking the class.

I am paying for my father-in-law to come out and take the class.

Also has anyone made a list for the pot luck? I want to bring my famous chips and dip, I need to know if I will have access to an outlet to plug in a crock pot. If not I will bring something else.

We have 20 committed and room for 8 more. You can still attend and pay at the class, but let me know if you are doing this.

If someone wants to be item chief then go ahead.

The range has a small kitchen with frig, micro, counter with a sink and outlets. A extension multi-outlet might be nice.

I will bring plates, forks and napkins. Each should bring beverages and glasses. There is a beverage machine on site.

tygereye

imported post

Venator wrote:
tygereye wrote:
Peanut is not gonna be able to make it.

However, my mom and I will be present, and I will most likely have my daughter with me as well. (Although, she won't be taking part in the class... :))If she becomes a problem during class, I will take her outside to play or something... I kinda have to be there, cuz my mom is using my brothers revolver for the range part of the class.
Looking forward to seeing you and meeting your mom. As for your child, I think the range has a closet we can lock her in;).

LOL... As much as I would love to give that a shot, I am thinking it wouldn't be avery good idea, she may have a slight problemwith it... LOL

I am sorry to say, I won't be bringing my MOC cookie though. Baby shower on Saturday will prevent me from having the time... That and a full school schedule... I will most likely find a table and do homework all day... :(

Venator

imported post

tygereye wrote:
Venator wrote:
tygereye wrote:

However, my mom and I will be present, and I will most likely have my daughter with me as well. (Although, she won't be taking part in the class... :))If she becomes a problem during class, I will take her outside to play or something... I kinda have to be there, cuz my mom is using my brothers revolver for the range part of the class.
Looking forward to seeing you and meeting your mom. As for your child, I think the range has a closet we can lock her in;).

LOL... As much as I would love to give that a shot, I am thinking it wouldn't be avery good idea, she may have a slight problemwith it... LOL

I am sorry to say, I won't be bringing my MOC cookie though. Baby shower on Saturday will prevent me from having the time... That and a full school schedule... I will most likely find a table and do homework all day... :(

Now I'm all sad and everything. But as long as I can see your smiling face I'll be happy.

So the closet idea is out? I'll keep thinking.

tygereye

imported post

Venator wrote:
tygereye wrote:
Venator wrote:
tygereye wrote:

Now I'm all sad and everything. But as long as I can see your smiling face I'll be happy.

So the closet idea is out? I'll keep thinking.
Yeah, I am thinking she might have a problem with being locked into a closet... But, feel free to keep the ideas coming... My husband once attempted to tape his other daughter to a ceiling fan... but her mother came home a little early... :what:

Radioman

imported post

Now that would have been funny right there.

And I have a package for you to give to your sister. I'll be there bright eyed and bushy tailed.

Well maybe bright eyed, that bushy tail might get Ven excited. Well its early .. maybe not even bright eyed.

Ok I'll be there and have a few things ... its been a long day.

Radioman

Venator

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
Trying to think of what to bring to the pot luck. What is everyone else bringing??

I will be there around 7:40am tomorrow

I like BBQ meatballs easy just throw them in a cock pot wit sauce and warm them up.

Baked beans are good. Sandwich meat and bread would do as well.

TylerJ87

imported post

I am bringing some baked ziti pasta compliments of my girlfriend. I am also really excited to meet everyone and take the class to apply for my CPL.

TheGrabber

imported post

After wracking my brain on what to bring and not copying anyone else, I decided to bring something different.

I'll bring donuts for the early morning crowd.:)

eastmeyers

imported post

See you in the morning all. I'll be around to help out, my father-in-law is taking the class. Ya'll are stuck with me for the day. I will be bringing my famous buffalo-chicken dip, and chips.

God Bless

mouse

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
Thanks to everyone who attended today. We had a great time!

A big thanks to Skip and Sheriff Leaf for their contributions.
Thanks to Generaldet for the White Castle burgers...it's been YEARS and they still have the best pickles.

Ditto big thanks to Skip and Sheriff Leaf. I LOVE when you meet someone (like Sheriff Leaf) who has the knowledge and LOVE to share it. When the students when back to the classroom and he took us back to the range to 'share' his knowledge...that's what it's all about! I have some practicing to do.

To Radioman, thanks for the ammo. When we meet again I'll repay it.

To Brian, thanks for asking me to be part of the 'instructor corps'.

To Deb and Amber, it was a pleasure to work with you. I hope I helped you learn some new things. You were both awesome! You can often find me at the Brown Bear range (21 Mile and Gratiot) on Tuesday. (Women shoot for $10 per hour.) If you're ever going to be there PM me with a time and I'll try to be there at the same time.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Had a great day. Was great to meet more people face to face. Thank you to Skip Coryell and Sheriff Leaf for their time in instructing the class, as well as the added training for the rest of us. Thank you to everyone who showed up to attend the class or to help out.

Radioman

imported post

I'll add another thanks to Mr Coryell, Sheriff Leaf and all the others that attended. it was a fun day at the range with a whole bunch of interesting material to be learned.

I do have a few new shooting tactics to practice. Very interesting thoughts on weapon retention and firing in a contact position.

Mouse - dont worry about the ammo. Does Brown Bear allow rifle calibers? If so are you going to be there this week? I have an itching to bring out some long stuff soon.

See everyone at the next event

Radioman