• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another deadly taser incident

georg jetson

So was I. Even with the electrodes imbedded in your chest, it will still create a potential, and thus a current, through every part of your body. In most areas it won't be strong enough to feel, but it'll still be there.

Which brings us back to what I said originally... there is a high probability that there is some current flowing everywhere in the body. You can't say this for absolute certainty. Of course the point of this is to show that it's impossible to ascertain if a Taser is ALWAYS safe.

The other issue involves breakdown voltage, which causes the current to propagate more light lightening than a river flow.

Dielectric breakdown IS in fact a change of impedance VERY quickly. This is what happens when an over-voltage is applied to a capacitor.

Not over the three to five seconds of your typical tase.

Yes it can. You provided the link opposing this very statement.

Besides, the context of this is Taser safety. Unless a Taser measures impedance before it applies full voltage each time its used then it can't know how much current it will drive. However, I suspect it has a built in current limiting circuit to prevent worst case situations.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Keep in mind that Police aren't the only ones you carry or use Tasers. Many of us carry Tasers as backup to our Open Carry pistol either in place of or in addition to pepper spray. My Taser C2 goes almost everywhere my pistol does. In fact, I'd say, my C2 gets carried in more places than my handgun due to carry restrictions. I feel comfortable having the less than lethal option should I decide that a situation calls for it.

A taser is a TOOL just like a firearm and being aware. Risks must be assessed by all users of the various tools we use to make the best APPROPRIATE use of each tool we have at our disposal.

And in reply to another comment made earlier....

Even tho disagreements may occur it does not have to be a disagreeable situation. Simply agree to disagree works for many.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Which brings us back to what I said originally... there is a high probability that there is some current flowing everywhere in the body. You can't say this for absolute certainty.

Actually, you can. It's Electrical Engineering 101. The highest EE course I took in college was EE 3010. That's the highest course any non-EE engineer ever took.

Of course the point of this is to show that it's impossible to ascertain if a Taser is ALWAYS safe.

You're right about that. Any time you hit someone with 50,000 volts, there are consequences. The spikes are of very short duration, however, and as the body has a natural inductance, they're not on long enough to result in any significant flow of current. Still, the voltage itself results in serious disruption of nerve impulses controlling the muscles, and the heart, after all, is a muscle. So is the diaphragm, which is why a sustained burst can cause someone to black out due to lack of O2. It's caused by both the hear failing to beat and the lungs not being able to breath. It also takes a few seconds after a hit for things to settle down.

It's for these reasons those who use tasers should be trained on their use so as to avoid sustained or oft-repeated attack.

Dielectric breakdown IS in fact a change of impedance VERY quickly. This is what happens when an over-voltage is applied to a capacitor.

Yep. Same thing with lightening, as air itself is a dielectric, as are most insulators.

Besides, the context of this is Taser safety. Unless a Taser measures impedance before it applies full voltage each time its used then it can't know how much current it will drive. However, I suspect it has a built in current limiting circuit to prevent worst case situations.

They do, and that's precisely what causes it to cycle. Most are diode-capacitor voltage multipliers, often with a step-up transformer. TASER International warns law enforcement agencies that “prolonged or continuous exposure(s) to the TASER device’s electrical charge” may lead to medical risks such as cumulative exhaustion and breathing impairment.

georg jetson

Actually, you can. It's Electrical Engineering 101. The highest EE course I took in college was EE 3010. That's the highest course any non-EE engineer ever took.<SNIP>

No you can't... and it is NOT Electrical Engineering 101. Modeling the human body as a circuit is extremely complicated. It is NOT possible to know if current is flowing EVERYWHERE in the body from any given voltage across two random points.

EE 3010?? What class was that?? As far as I know different universities use different course designations.

Perhaps you've forgotten some things since college, eh? What's the saying... if you don't use it you lose it. lol!!

Last edited: