• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another officer involved shooting.....

jarhead1911A

imported post

It seems the criminals are getting to be better shots than the LEO's its turning into a salem which hunt for law enforcement. I have friends that are LEO's and i can tell you that they are cautious around everyone now because of what esentually started in Lakewood.

Better Training for LEO's maybe now the higher ups will actually realize that if they do not train there men and women better they will be planning funerals months in advance.

kito109654

imported post

I was very sad to read the following FOX news alert text:

"Pierce Co. Dep. Kent Mundell dies after being taken off life support."

My heart goes out to his family.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

This has become a Washington epidemic. Keep diligent!!!. Gotta let them know, we are here for their protection also. We are on the same team.

LEO Deaths have dropped from in the 100's to in the 40's over the last few decades, out of 50 states we are over 10% the total, sad indeed. Especially considering we are not a super populated state.

joeroket

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
This has become a Washington epidemic. Keep diligent!!!. Gotta let them know, we are here for their protection also. We are on the same team.

LEO Deaths have dropped from in the 100's to in the 40's over the last few decades, out of 50 states we are over 10% the total, sad indeed. Especially considering we are not a super populated state.

I am not sure where you got your numbers but in the last 30 years 2009 has seen the least amount of officers killed with 120. Wa. has had 7 killed this year, which is 5.8% of the total number killed.

There were 242 killed in 2001, which was one of the deadliest years for officers. The average number killed per year over the last 15 years is 165. WA loses 2.4 per year on average, prior to 2009 we only lost 2 per year, over the last 15 years.

These are the numbers that they are using to say that it is a deadly year for LEO. Although we are down in deaths nationwide we seem to be up in the number of "ambush" type situations nationwide.

I would like to see 2010 be a repeat of 1996, the year that Wa. lost no officers.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

:banghead:This is what I get for trusting a gun magazine and not double checking the facts.

Curiosity though at of these statistics are they gun related or all fatalities?

joeroket

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
:banghead: This is what I get for trusting a gun magazine and not double checking the facts.

Curiosity though at of these statistics are they gun related or all fatalities?

They are all fatalities. If it was an article talking about only firearm deaths then the article may very well be accurate.

Here are the numbers of firearm related deaths followed by the total number of deaths, after the comma. (firearm deaths include accidental, which are typically 2-3 per year)

1981 is the year that marked a decline in the number of firearm related deaths, prior to that they were in the 100+ range. From 1981 - 1998 they have been in the numbers of around 75 - 80 per year and then another decline started in 1999 as you can see from below, there are a couple of above average years however.

Percentage of officers killed by firearm to all deaths seem to be about the same nationwide we just happened to have an extremely high number of them in Wa. this year. I would not call it a trend as we have yet to see what the next couple of years brings but I suspect, based upon looking at stats and seeing departments changing policy to protect them better, that this is going to be an isolated year for officer deaths in Wa.

2009 - 49,120
2008 - 41,138
2007 - 69,193
2006 - 54,156
2005 - 60,164
2004 - 59,164
2003 - 49,147
2002 - 60,159
2001 - 71,242
2000 - 53,163
1999 - 46,151
1998 - 66,176
1997 - 69,177
1996 - 62,143
1995 - 73,185

jarhead1911A

imported post

My biggest concern is that the law makers are going to take the guns away from those of us who follow the laws and leave us defenseless to protect ourselfs from the people who shouldnt have guns but do.........

Lets face it when it comes to common sense the govt have NONE and they will shut the barn door after the horse gets out..