• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Open Carry Arrest Pending!

BluesBear

imported post

It often surprises many people to learn that there areplaces where the sight of citizens carrying rifles while going about their daily activities is no big deal.

I considersome places in the US to be just as dangerous as Israel. Aside from the occasional cowardly terrorist bombings, one-on-one, personal violence is rather uncommon over there. Just asit is in Switzerland, where most of the male population is provided, and required to keep and maintain at home,a selective fire long gun.

Notice that the daughters are not allowed to carry with a magazine in place while Mom has a dual mag inserted and ready to go.

Attachments

• Israeli Mother & Daughters buy ice cream.jpg
    Israeli Mother & Daughters buy ice cream.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 513

thnycav

imported post

I have spent some time there but remember Israel is still in a war zone. The citizens that are armed there have military training and do not have a "wild west Cowboy" altitude about weapons.

The police may have overstepped to arrest the guy but when you see someone in this country with an assault rifle they should at least ask a couple questions. If they did not at least check him out and he then goes on a shooting spree ( mall shooting) the Police would have been wrong for not doing anything.

Lthrnck

imported post

The problem with your thought thnycav is that the police are not responsible. That has already been tested in many courts at all levels thoughtout this country. The police have no legal obligation to protect and individual.

LEO 229

imported post

Agreed... cops cannot be everywhere. I encourage everyone to arm themselves. I prefer CC over OC since you do not want to alarm others as OC often does.

Allow the police to investigate crimes that have already occurred... but if you need to protect yourself from being robbed or physically harmed... you better have something more than a phone in your hand.

acrimsontide

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Agreed... cops cannot be everywhere. I encourage everyone to arm themselves. I prefer CC over OC since you do not want to alarm others as OC often does.

Allow the police to investigate crimes that have already occurred... but if you need to protect yourself from being robbed or physically harmed... you better have something more than a phone in your hand.
Situation here in N. Alabama over the holidays bears that our and ties in with the comments on the thread about bringing knives to a gunfight. A man and woman forced their way into a local apartment at knife point only to confront an armed homeowner. The man was shot and killed. The woman escaped but is being sought by the local PD.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

In an effort to work together LEO, I'd like to ask you a couple of questions regarding the bold portion of your post.......
If we have a right to OC and nobody has a right not to be offended or alarmed etc. by the legal actions of another citizen, who's "in the right"?.....ie, why should an OCer be punished (for lack of a better term) because others aren't comfortable? And, how should we go about making others more comfortable if nobody sees OCers?

Kirbinator

imported post

openryan wrote:
I think being socally acceptable has its place in our lifestyle, but this is too far.
Socially unacceptable and illegal are two different things. In polite company, it is unnecessary to carry weapons. An armed society is a police society.

Just because it isn't socially acceptable to walk down the road with a rifle on your back (loaded or unloaded) doesn't mean it is illegal. It may result in shock or horror in the community, but it still isn't illegal. I don't know what else to say other than get therapy or get used it.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I don't have a problem with carrying an AK-47 around in public. :celebrate

It is a great self defense firearm, you can't have too much firepower. You never know when someone is going to attack who is wearing body armor.

Kirbinator

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
I don't have a problem with carrying an AK-47 around in public. :celebrate

It is a great self defense firearm, you can't have too much firepower. You never know when someone is going to attack who is wearing body armor.
The AK-47 is a very noticeable weapon. I'd reason that you'd draw significantly less attention with a M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, or an Enfield/Springfield rifle. Basically something that the mass populace doesn't realize is a "deadly assault weapon". The old timers know how "dangerous" that weapon is, but the general populace will just think you're walking around with a hunting rifle.

And 90% of the time you can spot someone wearing body armor. If you're that concerned about personal safety, take a few martial arts classes. Quit looking for a conflict and just realize that with every altercation, there are two losers. One of them loses more than the other.

Thundar

imported post

This thread demonstrates that the hand gun / long gun issue has been floating around for many years.

Some argue that it is a right and do it when they please.

Others argue that you don't need it and get upset because they fear the blowback will impact their hand gun carry rights.