• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti Open Carry

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hellbilly wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
Colt Mark IV wrote:
All valid points. I only CC. Have not oc'd yet, but will when good weather comes. The main reason I mostly CC is for the element of surprise.
The 'element of surprise' is an offensive tactic, not defensive. Lawfully carried firearms are for defensive purposes.

Exactly how do you plan on surprising the bad guy when he has a gun stuck in your face and his finger on the trigger?
You nailed it! :celebrate
No he didn`t , :celebrate

Criminals look for those they do not think will fight back and are an easy target. Finding out you have the means and the willingness to fight is a big surprise.

OC may make the criminal move on or the criminal might want your expensive firearm for his collection. ???? I wouldn`t count on only the sight of a firearm to stop anyone that is determined.
The element of surprise, OCer will be the 1st on taken out, you'll only be robbed of your gun thing is so worn out, trite, overdone, abused and totally pointless. Don't use logic and facts - hide your gun and surprise the BG. :p

For decades (literally) I have asked for one (1) documented case where a legal citizen (non-military or LEO) has been preemptively taken out or has had his gun taken by a BG anywhere in our country in modern times. No anecdotal stories allowed - must have cite included.

Some day will it happen? - likely - but when it does the resultant ratio/per centage of good to bad OC events will then be something like .000001% Driving your car or crossing the street is decidedly more dangerous.

If I CC, it is either my choice for the occasion (weather or church) or to conform to the restrictions (law). Otherwise I OC 24/7 as the personally preferred and most beneficial form of carrying. End of story, period, finis.

Yata hey

ace1001

imported post

A couple of years ago a man was robbed in an alley and his gun was taken in Oklahoma City. Such things are bound to happen, but are VERY rare. If you OC, you must be prepared to go down fighting. That is what it is about. The west was won, not by army patrols, but by families that stood their ground and thinned the hostiles two and three at a time. Usually losing their own lives in the process. Today the hostile is usually the loner and the chance of survival is much better, but the concept is the same. Better to die on your feet than on your knees. Keep fighting through your injuries and you will win, even if you do not live. Ace

Sonora Rebel

imported post

If you're CC... and the BG doesn't know you're armed BECAUSE you're CC... and sticks a gun in your face... It doesn't matter what you have... Game over! The element of surprise is with the BG. From all outward appearances... you look like one of the sheep. There's none of that with OC.

XD40coyote

imported post

Someone I know who I told about OC and even invited him to an OC lunch ( he couldn't make it- last minute work related stuff) obviously was talking to a bunch of anti OCers recently, I suspect the 5 men who carry concealed to his church every sunday( in PA).

Yep same ol "element of surprise" and " OCer will be shot first by BG" BS. I told him that I had been researching this whole OC thing for quite some time and am daily online reading of OC activities, and had yet to find one instance of BG's targeting an OCer. Plenty of stories of police abusing power though. And plenty of stuff written about suspicious charactors leaving in haste after spotting an OCer.

I've got to drag this guy backup to PA with me and OC for him, tell him to point out all the BG's eyeing me and my gun LOL. ( might be some idiot cops or antis around, if anyone even notices me OCing)

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

Can I actually put myself into BG shoes and just figure out what I would do?

To gun down an OC person, I probably would want his gun. Since I do have a gun, I won't bother to go kill someone for another gun maybe I can sell it for 500 bucks. Doesn't make sense.

I would probably try to spot an OC in some place that I want to rob. My goal is to get the money and get out as soon as possible, not take hostage with me. This "quick in n out" business won't happened if I shoot someone first. I don't want people to know what I am doing when I am in a place that I want to rob.

If I do want to kill bunch of people before I kill myself... well, that might be something tricky. Since I don't have nothing to lose, I go for the security and/or OCs first. Here, I have to be very close and/or lucky to actually down the person once. because if not, I won't have to kill myself, OCer would do it for me... without taking anybody else.

There are other scenarios of course but the point is here, to make BG aware that he or she is not the only one with a weapon. That's good thing. Unless if there is a "gang" thing going on where you are, which I strongly suggest avoid those areas with or without guns.

OCs should be doing "silent protection" (I just came up with this term)

CC, I probably would do a lot when I get my license and when I am able to (not under 110 heat). OC or CC I am for it. It's not because of our rights (second amendment) but to make the play field "even" with BGs. Let's send the signal to those human-remains and let them think twice before pulling a gun to harm people, who are not guilty of anything.

Today I was just thinking while walking in the mall in Peoria, AZ... "what if someone just pulls a gun here and tries to shoot around?". How many of "us" would just pull their guns and have that person turn into "Swiss cheese" less then a second... and yes, if I be BG, I would think that too and probably go somewhere safer(!!!) to do more damage.

CCers might be backups for OCers.

Let's carry on :)

:dude:

Jizzzle

imported post

The one thing about criminals is:

Most of us and this includes CCers don't think likecriminals otherwise we would probably be one.

My CC buddies always say, well if i wanted to rob this place or do this or that and you where armed I'd do this and that.... blah blah blah.

And I respond, when's the last time you robbed somebody or took part in a crime? Which they respond, never. So, I ask, what are you basing this off of? And they normally mention that damn youtube video of the fobus getting ripped off. God i hate that video.

:banghead::cuss:

But, it just goes to show how baseless their arguments are. And I have offered to let them try to break my fobus (with my gun being unloaded of course, yes i know rule number one the gun is always loaded... but bear with me), and they've not taken me up on it. Not sure why.

Edit: I realized i suck pretty bad at spelling.

N00blet45

imported post

Good point.

However one can reasonably infer what a criminal may do based on the mindset of the criminal, their objective, and their perception of the surroundings without actually having experience as a criminal.

Dustin

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
From all outwardly appearace... you look like one of the sheep. There's none of that with OC.

As always, Right on ! :cool:

Like I always say,

CC = Passive, OC = Active

CC = Your waiting for something tohappen.

OC = Your trying to prevent it from ever starting.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
From all outward appearances... you look like one of the sheep. There's none of that with OC.

As always, Right on ! :cool:

Like I always say,

CC = Passive, OC = Active

CC = Your waiting for something tohappen.

OC = Your trying to prevent it from ever starting.

It's just TOO obvious for some to comprehend. All this 'element of surprise' CC stuff is 'offensive'... not defensive.

Lets get real.... thereare far too many people who 'care' what somebody else is gonna 'think' or 'say' about 'you' carryin' a gun openly. There are far too many people who've been 'conditioned' to feel guilty... or somehow 'naughty' to carry a gun on their hip.

There are far too many moronic news articles by the anti's who describe open carriers as 'strutting about' with guns on their hips... Do they 'strut about' with words on their lips? There are far too many SHEEP imbued with societal Hoplophobia by the MSM alarmistsand control freak politicians with their JBT mercenaries.

THANK GOD they don't affect (or infect) Arizona yet.

Right now there's some nutcase shootin' students' around Wesleyan U in CT. Where the hell are the sheepdogs in CT? Oh... what would somebody 'say'? 'Appearances 'n all that. Denial too... "'Can't happen here..." Well... it can... and will... and apparently IS happening 'cause anybody so inclined has carte blanche w/o fear of immediate reprisal.

ace1001

imported post

Both OC and CC are on the same side. If you were going to pull something and saw someone OC, knowing others could be CCing, that would really make you worry. You wouldn't say"Wow, I gotta go shoot this OC guy." You would at least let him leave to make things that much safer for you. We are both on the same side. The right side. Ace