• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anty506, what is your side of the story?

sraacke

imported post

Great Odin! Is the kid completely out of his mind? What in Thor's name was he thinking posting this in the internet? He is so going to be up the creek.

PT111

imported post

VORiaSOI wrote:
how much weed were you buying?

60 miles one way makes me think it was more than a joint. you can buy a joint in hammond. it would have to be cheap enough to offset the fuel, so maybe a pound or so?

mark, do you know?
Are you actually Anty? That is the only reason I can think of why you are so obsessed with his story.

charlie12

imported post

PT111 wrote:
VORiaSOI wrote:

60 miles one way makes me think it was more than a joint. you can buy a joint in hammond. it would have to be cheap enough to offset the fuel, so maybe a pound or so?

mark, do you know?
Are you actually Anty? That is the only reason I can think of why you are so obsessed with his story.
Maybe because it's a local story and someone in N.C. wouldn't understand.

VORiaSOI

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
PT111 wrote:
VORiaSOI wrote:

mark, do you know?
Are you actually Anty?  That is the only reason I can think of why you are so obsessed with his story.
no, if i were anty, i would use my real screen name of anty506:shock:

KBCraig

imported post

§20.A.(4)(b) The provisions of this Paragraph shall not apply when the person committing the homicide is engaged, at the time of the homicide, in the acquisition of, the distribution of, or possession of, with intent to distribute a controlled dangerous substance in violation of the provisions of the Uniform Controlled Dangerous Substances Law.

I have to agree with one of the comments on thelaw.com forum: taken literally, this would not apply if the marijuana was being purchased for personal use, rather than distribution.

There is no statutory limit on personal use quantities in Louisiana. In many states, possession of certain quantities is prime facie evidence of PWITD, but not Louisiana: any personal use amount is a misdemeanor, and any amount for distribution (even a single joint) is a felony.

Remember when Willie Nelson's tour bus was stopped outside Lafayette a couple of years back? Troopers found a pound and a halfof marijuana, but because it was for personal use, everyone involved (including Willie and his sister) got simple misdemeanor tickets for possession. (1.5 pounds is a huge quantity for personal use, but this is Willie's tour bus we're talking about!)

PT111

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
PT111 wrote:
VORiaSOI wrote:

mark, do you know?
What doesNorth Carolina have to do with it?You sound like a secretary that I used to work with that if she came in all smiling and happy you could bet that she read about someone she knew in the crime column that morning being arrested. Even people in NC know that if you hire a lawyer to defend you in a murder trial that you ask him about the law and not spread your story all over the Internet. Evidently that advice doesn't apply in LA

VORiaSOI

imported post

wow, they deleted the WHOLE thread. luckily its copied, or i bet it is.

good thing mark is helping him!

VORiaSOI

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
Your Lawyer wrote:
I advise you not to answer that.

No kidding.

Surely Anthony is smart enough to know not to comment on a capital crime on the internet. 

Why someone would even ask is beyond me.

Sheesh.

so was i that silly to ask?

VORiaSOI

imported post

i heard january 2010 is the trial. i think MEM knows. he wont say though.

VORiaSOI

imported post

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/78840432.html
CLINTON — A state district judge said Tuesday he will decide by the end of the month on exactly what the Louisiana Legislature intended when lawmakers said “justifiable homicide” does not apply when someone is killed during an illegal drug transaction.

The issue was raised by attorneys for two Hammond men, Anthony Manzella, 19, and Andrew Robertson, 23, who were on one side of an alleged drug deal in Clinton on July 24, and the attorney for Johnny Barnes, 27, of Jackson, who was on the other side.

Barnes’ companion, Jeral Wayne Matthews Jr., 21, of Clinton, allegedly struck Manzella, in the head with a rifle butt before the deal was finished, and Manzella shot and killed Matthews with a .40-caliber handgun, Clinton police said in July.

Manzella was indicted with first-degree murder, and Robertson and Barnes were indicted for principal to second-degree murder.

Twentieth Judicial District Attorney Sam D’Aquilla said he interprets a section of the law dealing with justifiable homicide to preclude self-defense in drug deals that result in a homicide.

Benn Hamilton, Barnes’ attorney, said such an interpretation deprives his client of the right to argue “that he could not be principal to a homicide.”

“He cannot defend himself,” Hamilton said, saying the victim was armed and was shot in self-defense.

Robert Gill, Robertson’s attorney, told 20th Judicial District Judge George H. Ware Jr. that the language about drug deals appears in the second paragraph of a statement that a homicide is justified when a person is lawfully in a dwelling and believes the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the unlawful entry of the person into the dwelling.

The words, “The provisions of this Paragraph …” refers to that one specific instance for which a homicide is justified, not for the other three reasons outlined in the entire statute, Gill and Manzella’s attorney, Gary Jordan, argued.

Ware took the arguments under advisement but questioned whether the Legislature may have meant to apply the drug-deal section “all the way back to the top” in the reasoning that homicide is justified in three other circumstances.

Ware said the Legislature “may have been saying, ‘We don’t want to give the coverage of self-defense in a drug transaction.”

The judge said he is certain the matter is headed to an appellate court review regardless of how he rules, because no Louisiana court has ruled on the question.