• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any 9mm make strong enough for +p+ ?

dukenukum

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
For liability's sake, most manufacturers will not 'OK' the use of +P+, however many current manunfacturers will 'OK' the use of +P ammo. That being said, I wouldn't use +P+ in a Keltec or HiPoint, but in GLOCKs, Sigs and Berettas, you shouldn't have a problem with limited use (how much +P+ can you afford?!?)

I carryWinchesterRanger 127gr +P+ in my Kahr K9 Elite '03 (All-Steel gun), and have probably put around 300 rounds of said ammo through that gun. No problems or signs of over-pressure.
HI-POINTS are +p rated I have used them in my .45 with no problems
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/9%20mm/hi_point_9mm.html

Mini14

imported post

I won't use +P or +P+ ammunition, period; andI think it is a gimmick to make people(s) weapons wear out quicker, too. Why? To force people to buy newer guns sooner.

Just say .'NO'. to +p or +p+ ammunition.

shad0wfax

imported post

mel5051 wrote:
This may be somewhere on here already. Are there any currently made 9mm's that do not carry the warning 'not to be used with +P and +P+ ammunition' ?
It shouldn't be any problem at all in a H&K USP, so long as you're not firing it frequently. Some of the Glocks (with fully supported chambers) should handle it just fine as well. I wouldn't mess with it in a Kel-Tec at all. I'm willing to bet a Springfield Armory EMP will handle them fine as well since they're essentialyl 1911s chambered in 9mm.

For the most part, +P+ is simply high pressure LEO ammo marketed to civilians. Many LE agencies are carrying "+P+" ammunition as their duty ammunition. In some cases (specifically 9x19 stuff) it's ultra-high pressure SMG ammo though and it's not marked +P+ either.

EDIT: Frequent use (hundreds or thousands of rounds) of extremely high-pressure ammunition will cause parts failure far sooner than lower pressure ammunition. There's no such thing as a free lunch and you can't ignore the laws of physics. +P and +P+ ammunition is never intended to be used regularly. This stuff is meant to be duty/carry ammo only for use in critical incidents, not daily range-work.

Just think of +P+ like "proof" loads. (They're still lower pressure than proof loads though....) Factories test all of their firearms with a limited number of proof loads and look for abnormal parts wear or failure. If they find no failures or abnormal wear, they sell the gun for frequent use with ammunition loaded at much lower (SAAMI or CIP) pressures.

Although this is purely anecdotal, when H&K was testing their Mk 23 Mod 0 (similar recoil system to the USP) they fired 6,000 proof loads through it without any malfunctions. They also deliberately lodged a bullet halfway down the bore, then fired a standard load into it, slightly bulging the barrel and then fired for accuracy after that... still getting around 2.5" at 25 meters ... (That's ridiculously accurate for a damaged barrel.)

Granted, there are some differences between the USP and the Mk 23 and the end-user should never fire 6,000 proof loads or fire with bore obstructions, but at least that specific firearm handled it in testing. I think repeated use of +P or +P+ ammunition in a USP might wear it out faster, but it's not going to blow the magazine (and your fingers) off from just one over-pressure round. Some Glocks with unsupported chambers and overpressure .40 S&W handloads will do this. (Any pistol with that arrangement will have problems, Glocks were just more widely sold so the "Glock-Grenade" horror stories got more bad press than others did.)

eddie885221

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
Hi-point rates their pistols for +P ammo.  There is no SAAMI spec for +P+, so no one officially  supports it.

I don't disagree with you, however Buffalo Bore claims that there +P+ 9mm 147(?)gr ammo meets or exceeds SAAMI specs..... not to mention on midwayusa.com its maybe $20 a box right now

CarryOpen

imported post

It's my understanding that +P+ is used to designate ammo which exceeds SAAMI +P pressures. So, by that criteria, any ammo that exceeds 9mm +P pressure would meed SAAMI specifications for +P+. Unfortunately SAAMI doesn't seem to make their pressures readily available on the web and 9mm pressures are hotly debated. They may have added +P+ since the last time I read about it, but as far as I know there is no pressure standard, maybe someone can get ahold of the publication - it's ANSI/SAAMI 205.

AbNo

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
For liability's sake, most manufacturers will not 'OK' the use of +P+, however many current manunfacturers will 'OK' the use of +P ammo. That being said, I wouldn't use +P+ in a Keltec or HiPoint, but in GLOCKs...
<-- 24/7's house

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :p

Seriously, though...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=312639 -#4
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080701212527AAgpHET

http://www.frfrogspad.com/miscellk.htm#+P
Note that there are no SAAMI specifications for +P+ loads, but by general industry agreement they are about 15 percent greater than +P.

spylock

imported post

Although I dont own a Glock I was going to say something simular,but Im new here and didnt want to make anyone mad.Depending on the caliber, recomended ammo will do the job,why risk somethinghappening to your weapon while youre useing it in a self defense situation..God forbid.

tcmech

imported post

I got a ruger blackhawk convertible with a 9mm cylinder that will probably handle any factory loaded 9x19 ammo.

Does pretty good with some fairly stout 357 hand loads also.