• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Negative Experiences??

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here it is:

http://google2.vipnet.org/search?sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&client=loudoun&oe=UTF-8&proxystylesheet=loudoun&site=loudoun&q=firearms+AND+roads

Its the third link down the page. Which takes you to a .pdf. Its near the top of the second page: 684.01 (a)

I think this may be modified by a law that was passed in the General Assembly this year, possibly effective in July. If Irecall the intent was to differentiate between hunting and self-defense weapons.

Edit: Crud, too slow. However. I should get credit for the thoughtful insight regarding pre-emption. Plus, I see the Search data at the end of the address. Not sure if that's fair.

LEO 229

imported post

It appears you can OC as long as your not near the road. I am sure they did not intend this to be directed at normal OCersand more for hunting.

You can still OC in your car as long as it is basically a pistol....

[*]It is unlawful to possess a loaded firearm on the road except when permission to hunt is obtained from landowners on each side.
[*]It is unlawful to transport, possess, or carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in any vehicle on any public street, road or highway.

nemo

imported post

> Call Richard Gardner, He's attorney who represented Senator Webb's aide

> with DC thing. He may not do civil cases but most attorneys keep a address

> book with Attorney names who might be able to assist you. Also, contact

> VCDL isn't a bad idea but they are going to want proof of what happened.

> Having FOIA of entire incident ready to go wouldn't be a bad idea. See other

> topics on the board on how to draft one and contact Mike if you need more

> assistance, he might be willing to assist you.

The same week that this happened, I contacted VCDL and got a list of recommended attorneys from them; coincidentally, I chose to hire Richard Gardiner. VCDL did not ask for proof, but I sent them a five page write-up (you got the Reader’s Digest version, about half a page), which I subsequently sent to Richard.

I will start to look for the FOIA topic.

nemo

imported post

> See if you can get a copy of the police report...

Good idea. How do I get it, just walk in and ask? What do I do with it?

> I would love to read what that put down...

So would I. Is that all that I do with it?

> Only getting your side of it but from what your saying...

> it stinks and they should not have locked you up.

I am glad that you agree.

nemo

imported post

> Welcome to political activism. What you experienced was one of the very things

> we address in pushing back into place respect for our human right to possess

> the means to self-defense.

I am not glad to be here (I remember one of those de-motivational posters: maybe the purpose of your life is to be a bad example). I prefer to read about these kinds of cases, and to write letters of support, etc. But I entirely agree with the right to self-defense and the statement that, unless OC is used, it is lost.

> Do please re-consider legal action or making a formal complaint.

> The police need to learn that they cannot, may not, do this.

I entirely agree about the police: I read the Balko blog.

One of my biggest impediments to pursuing legal action in the first place was that I did not have the cash that Richard Gardiner requested. As I said earlier, if you know some pit bull who will sue the cops, heck, sue the magistrate, too (though it would seem that he only relied on the fraudulent word of the cops), and will be patient about being paid, then tell me his name. It’s been awhile, but I bet that I could scrape up enough residual vindictiveness, and, if I don’t, then my wife has enough hate and discontent to go around.

I can certainly make a formal complaint. I may as well get that ball rolling.

> A fellow in Denver won $8500 for a false-arrest.

I am not in it for the money (though that amount would pay for Richard Gardiner).

> Regardless of the money, you can bet the heavy-handed police are smarting

> over the rebuff!! You can bet it will be some time before they try that again

> in Denver.

Do you have a link for this?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Even if you don't have the means to persue this in a civil suit, I think using other legal means to expose this (FOIA, formal complaint, etc.) is useful to preventing this from happening again.

taurusfan

imported post

This is what can happen when you OC it is perilous! I've talked to half a dozen police in the Richmond area recently and it's astonishing how ignorant of the Virginia firearms laws most of them are.

You are not going to educate them all and why bother!

Get your permit, conceal your weapon on the Blue Ridge Parkway, in Wal-Marts, K-Marts, bars, whore houses, churches, parks, hospitals, schools, etc., and no one will ever know: have an occasion to use it lawfully and no one will care. :monkey

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

taurusfan wrote:
This is what can happen when you OC it is perilous! I've talked to half a dozen police in the Richmond area recently and it's astonishing how ignorant of the Virginia firearms laws most of them are.

Get your permit, conceal your weapon on the Blue Ridge Parkway, in Wal-Marts, K-Marts, bars, whore houses, churches, parks, hospitals, schools, etc., and no one will ever know: have an occasion to use it lawfully and no one will care.
There fixed it, you cannot use the OC monkey if you wont OC and want to break the law.

Tomahawk

imported post

taurusfan wrote:
Get your permit, conceal your weapon on the Blue Ridge Parkway, in Wal-Marts, K-Marts, bars, whore houses, churches, parks, hospitals, schools, etc., and no one will ever know: have an occasion to use it lawfully and no one will care.

There is a word for people who come to a website called "opencarry" and tell people that open carrying is bad. Even worse, you are telling people to violate the law!

23459212.jpg

Anyone here know what word I'm thinking of?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

taurusfan wrote:

Taurusfan,

This is exactly one of the reasons we OC. It forces the proximate government force-appliers to respect citizens' rights. We can send endless memo's to police dept's trying to educate them in advance (something I would like to recommend); butthey can always ignore the memo. Being confronted with a peaceful, law-abiding,armed citizen forces them to make a decision. They can either violate our rights, in which case we hammer them with complaints, etc.; or they can respect citizens' rights. In either case, as long as we play scrupulously by the legal rules, they will end up respecting rights, grudgingly or otherwise. Their chiefs and the courts can hurt their promotion prospects, their employment status, and their checkbooks.

Trust me. When one of them gets in trouble over something like this, the whole department finds out about it. They do get educated.

AbNo

imported post

possumboy wrote:
The "Do you wear a seatbelt" questions always seems to work well for those interested...
[/quote]

---

I'd like to take a moment to borrow a phrase from a friend/ex-gf of mine concerning how people should have more love and understanding...

"Sorry, Sunshine, but try to get love to change a flat tire for you, or understanding to let you know when the power lines will be back up"

"I really should've said, 'Well, Sunny Jim, when you get your date knocked up because "love and understanding" are a substitute for the Pill and condoms, stick to your ideals about preparation being worthless!'" :cool:

Me? I'd stick with a simple "You carry a spare tire in your car, don't you?"

In other news, keep us updated.