• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody want to do an OC get together?

Deuce1911

imported post

sounds good! sundays are good for me as well. i like the shirt idea and the fundraiser money goin to oc.org is a great idea! so lookin at the calender for april we got the 4th, 11th, 18th, and the 25th are all sundays. im puttin my vote for the 18th. that way if we have to rain check it we can go for the 25th and still be in april just to make it easy. i know a guy that does graphic designs in portsmouth for CDs shirts and company logos and things like that. maybe ill talk to him to come up with a maine style OC logo. just an idea. he doesnt make the shirts tho.

straydoglogic

imported post

Also, if anybody is interested, I run a Libertarian group on Facebook, so if there are any fellow Libertarians here I would like to extend an invitation.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=330402243487&ref=ts

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

straydoglogic

imported post

Well if you knew and understood the platform of a Libertarian your question needs no answer. But to indulge you and introduce a bit of our platform here is the stance taken directly from the National Libertarian page itself. We are for the freedom of people to do whatever they choose as long as they harm no other individual or their property. If I felt that there were any inconsistencies within our parties platform and principles, and the rights of other to own or carry guns, I wouldn't have posted my link here.
Gun Laws Why Libertarians Support Equal Rights for America's Gun Owners
equal-gun-rights.gif
Libertarians, like other Americans, want to be able to walk city streets safely and be secure in their homes. We also want our Constitutional rights protected, to guard against the erosion of our civil liberties. In particular, Libertarians want to see all people treated equally under the law, as our Constitution requires. America's millions of gun owners are people too. Law-abiding, responsible citizens do not and should not need to ask anyone's permission or approval to engage in a peaceful activity. Gun ownership, by itself, harms no other person and cannot morally justify criminal penalties.
Constitutional Rights America's founders fought the Revolutionary War to throw off British tyranny. Most of the revolutionaries owned and used their own guns in that war. After the war, in 1789, the 13 American States adopted the Constitution, creating the federal government. Before ratifying the Constitution, the people demanded a Bill of Rights to prevent our government from depriving them of their liberties as the British had done.
One of the most important protections we have against government tyranny is that we are presumed innocent of any crime until proven guilty, before a jury, in a proper trial.
Gun control advocates would declare all gun owners guilty without trial, simply for owning guns, even though millions of them have never used their guns to harm another person. Such blanket condemnation is immoral, unfair and contrary to the principles on which America was founded.
The Prohibition Lesson Gun control advocates are much like the prohibitionists of the early 20th Century. By making liquor illegal, they spawned organized crime, caused bloody, violent turf wars and corrupted the criminal justice system. Today's war on drugs has exactly the same results.
Prohibition didn't stop liquor use; the drug laws can't stop drug use. Making gun ownership illegal will not stop gun ownership.
The primary victim of these misguided efforts is the honest citizen whose civil rights are trampled as frustrated legislators and police tighten the screws.
Banning guns will make guns more expensive and give organized crime a great opportunity to make profits in a new black market for weapons. Street violence will increase in new turf wars. Criminals will not give up their guns. But, many law abiding citizens will, leaving them defenseless against armed bandits.
The Right of Self Defense Libertarians agree with the majority of Americans who believe they have the right to decide how best to protect themselves, their families and their property. Millions of Americans have guns in their homes and sleep more comfortably because of it. Studies show that where gun ownership is illegal, residential burglaries are higher. A man with a gun in his home is no threat to you if you aren't breaking into it.
The police do not provide security in your home, your business or the street. They show up after the crime to take reports and do detective work. The poorer the neighborhood, the riskier it is for peaceful residents.
Only an armed citizenry can be present in sufficient numbers to prevent or deter violent crime before it starts, or to reduce its spread. Interviews with convicted felons indicate that fear of the armed citizen significantly deters crime. A criminal is more likely to be driven off from a particular crime by an armed victim than to be convicted and imprisoned for it. Thus, widespread gun ownership will make neighborhoods safer.
Foolish politicians and police now seek to ban semi-automatic "assault rifles". They ignore the fact that only honest citizens will comply; criminals will still have them. Such a ban will only increase the criminals' ability to victimize the innocent.
Personal Responsibility Guns are not the problem. They are inanimate objects. Gun control advocates talk as if guns could act on their own, as if human beings cannot control them, so the uncontrollable guns must be banished.
Let us put the responsibility where it belongs, on the owner and user of the gun. If he or she acts responsibly, without attacking others or causing injury negligently, no crime or harm has been done. Leave them in peace. But, if a person commits a crime with a gun, then impose the severest penalties for the injuries done to the victim. Similarly, hold the negligent gun user fully liable for all harm his negligence does to others.
Rather than banning guns, the politicians and the police should encourage gun ownership, as well as education and training programs. A responsible, well-armed and trained citizenry is the best protection against domestic crime and the threat of foreign invasion. America's founders knew that. It is still true today.

straydoglogic

imported post

Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to spam this forum at all. I am a gun owner and I believe we should be able to carry our guns in public without people freaking out and trying to violate our rights to carry them. So if I have violated any policy I apologize. I am simply trying to teach people about the options they have to get our country back to the Constitution and get our rights back as free people that our founders intended.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

straydoglogic wrote:
Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to spam this forum at all. I am a gun owner and I believe we should be able to carry our guns in public without people freaking out and trying to violate our rights to carry them. So if I have violated any policy I apologize. I am simply trying to teach people about the options they have to get our country back to the Constitution and get our rights back as free people that our founders intended.
Didn't intend for it to seem like a personal challenge, but rather that those not familiar be so informed - sometimes links work well to that end.

Likely I could have worded my post better too. :?

Yata hey

straydoglogic

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
straydoglogic wrote:
Didn't intend for it to seem like a personal challenge, but rather that those not familiar be so informed - sometimes links work well to that end.

Likely I could have worded my post better too. :?

Yata hey
No, no. I wasn't taking it that way at all. I just wanted to make that clear so that people didn't think I was spamming the board. I know it happens a lot, so I just wanted to let it be known. No worries.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

straydoglogic wrote:
No, no. I wasn't taking it that way at all. I just wanted to make that clear so that people didn't think I was spamming the board. I know it happens a lot, so I just wanted to let it be known. No worries.
Just a bit of friendly technical advice. :)

If when you reply/quote you do so below the quoted box, rather than in it, it will then keep straight who said what. I had to cut, copy and paste to isolate your quote in the example above.

Keep up the good work in Maine.

Now if I could only carry in a vehicle there - present statute makes me feel like a second class citizen when I visit and makes no sense.

"Maine is a traditional open carry state. It is perfectly legal and acceptable to carry a firearm openly. However, you may only carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, openly or concealed, if you have a Maine permit"

Yata hey

straydoglogic

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
straydoglogic wrote:
Just a bit of friendly technical advice. :)

If when you reply/quote you do so below the quoted box, rather than in it, it will then keep straight who said what. I had to cut, copy and paste to isolate your quote in the example above.

Keep up the good work in Maine.

Now if I could only carry in a vehicle there - present statute makes me feel like a second class citizen when I visit and makes no sense.

"Maine is a traditional open carry state. It is perfectly legal and acceptable to carry a firearm openly. However, you may only carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, openly or concealed, if you have a Maine permit"

Yata hey
I think I get it, that is if this post works. Thanks. My last one looks like a jumbled mess.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

straydoglogic wrote:
I think I get it, that is if this post works. Thanks. My last one looks like a jumbled mess.
Yep you done good.

There is always a learning curve on new forums.

Another suggestion is when copying lengthy text, always use the "preview button" first. Frequently copied text will not retain paragraph spacing, making it hard to read. Its a good procedure at any time.

Also if when you hit send and it doesn't seem to work right away, don't click send again - will likely result in a double post or worse. Check to see if it was sent by clicking on preview - only if it was in fact not sent will it preview. Hope that isn't too confusing.

You can go back at any time and edit one of your own posts i.e. add paragraph/white space. On exceptionally long copy, we encourage stating the highlights and including a link. Saves time and space for everyone.

Appreciate your patience.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
Can someone make a post that has a poll on it? That way we can figure out what date works best for everyone?
You'll need to begin a new thread to start a poll.

Go to the top of the page - click on "new topic" and follow the prompts.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
Usually OC get togethers happen easier if you just pick the date and then people either make it or don't. It's hard to get everyone available on the same day.
Big +1 on that.

Here is the page on a Maine members that have that state shown in their profile.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_user.php?region=Maine&country=USA

You could send a PM to each one. It would not be a major hassle if you just copy and paste the first one.

Hope this helps.

Yata hey

MrJoshua

imported post

I emailed a bunch of my firearm friendly buddies at work. Hopefully they'll spread the word a bit.

Has anyone considered making a flyer? I know a few places to put a few and get some exposure.