• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone Catch "Washington's Most Wanted" Last Night?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Since I don't have a car, this problem doesn't really come up for me. Most of the encounters I've had with LEO have involved them knowing I was armed...

That said I do have a boat, and a small dinghy and I've been stopped a few times by the Coast Guard in the dinghy when a military craft was unloading in Olympia. Since the channel is too narrow, I was unable to maintain the usual distance from it as called for by law, so instead I kept to the far edge of the channel as the law also allows. That of course, is begging for one of the CG patrol boats to come alongside, which they did. I was CCing due to weather, and each time I was stopped I kept a hand on my tiller and the other visible and told the coasties I was armed. They asked where it was and that I keep my hands visible, and to keep staying to the far edge of the channel. They informed me I'd probably be shadowed within a certain area (pretty standard BTW) and to have a nice day.

No I wasn't required to, but they were pretty nervous given the amount of ruckus ashore, and most people in Olympia don't run around the bay at night with an 8' livingston dinghy either. It was a choice I made, and after a couple of trips they actually started leaving me alone altogether. They knew I was just going downtown or back to the marina, I was armed and I didn't like crazy people in black masks protesting the unloading of military cargo. It was chill.

jbone

imported post

BigDaddy5 wrote:
Reasonable people who carry firearms will tell a police officer they are armed, it's as simple as that.

In said it once before, "Good Lord"

I'm a reasonable man and been around firearms my entire life and career.