• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone doin it cowboy style?

thnycav

imported post

Was only kidding. The only time I do carry the colt or the Remington is in Cavalry reenacting. There is a hammer rest between the cylinders so you can carry it safely. Another thing the cap and ball pistols shot a solid lead shot. No jacket to it and you can load all the powder you can stand behind it.

Marco

imported post

attachment.php

Mjolnir

imported post

I'd never open or CCW carry on a regular basis single action revolvers, way to many better choices out there.

However, I do own and shoot a few of em in 45 Colt & yes I've got a "old west" orginal period dual holsters & belt for SASS shooting.

IMG_3621.jpg

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

newopencarry.jpg

Yep, that's what I wear out in public.

Full disclosure: I work at Buffalo Arms Company so of course I buy from there. I really like the money belt style cartridge belt. It's very comfortable and you can stash all of your silver pieces in it. :cool: http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5911.htm

That's a 5.5" stainless New Vaquero in .45 Colt. Love it! I chose cross-draw as I wear this rig while driving and is much more comfortable and drawable while seatbelted.

LoveMyCountry

Mods, delete the link if you think it's inappropriate

Mjolnir

imported post

Buffalo Arms eh, they have some really nice "toys" :cool::cool:

My rig is from Old West Reproductions http://www.oldwestreproductions.com/Splash.asp & while it's a tad "soft" for SASS it's a great rig.

One things for sure, when out in the boonies armed with the 45 Colt & Buffalo Bore Ammo ya sure don't have to worry about 4 leged critters:lol::lol:

Mordis

imported post

Well, I personaly, am the type of person who feels perfectly well armed with just about any thing that fires a bullet or projectile with enough force to kill a man. I feel that training and shot placement above all else is key, which is why, when i get the cash to buy what i want, i plan on carrying dual 4 3/4 cimmaron p's. Ya i could carry my glock, and m15-3 smith, and my 9mm sp101. But if the mood hits me to carry the SAA i wouldnt feel none the worse off.

Now i know you will all fry me for this, but i have to admit to it. Having said all of the above, i would also feel comfortable carrying the following daily(but not regularly, only when the mood hits me)

1. 1851 navy.(percussion)

2. 1861 army(percussion)

3 Minimum 2x 1849 pockets with a krist conversion

4 1858 NMA(Percussion)

I would also carry the cartridge conversions of the above as well, tho i would have some custom machining done to the cylnders, to add some notches between the cylnders/bullets so i have a place to rest the hammer when not engaged, and making it alittle more safe to carry it with 6 rounds. Seeingas the hamme would be no were near the primers/cartridge

Mjolnir wrote:
I'd never open or CCW carry on a regular basis single action revolvers, way to many better choices out there.

However, I do own and shoot a few of em in 45 Colt & yes I've got a "old west" orginal period dual holsters & belt for SASS shooting.

IMG_3621.jpg

Mordis

imported post

Love my country do you really, OC that. Wow what kind of looks do you get, i bet the old west look of it disarms alot of the sheeple. I wonder if you could also ccw that. Tho my plan to go out with duals while not a problem oc. will present a issue cc wise lol.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Mordis wrote:
Love my country do you really, OC that. Wow what kind of looks do you get, i bet the old west look of it disarms alot of the sheeple. I wonder if you could also ccw that. Tho my plan to go out with duals while not a problem oc. will present a issue cc wise lol.
Yep, that's how I look. I think that the old west style and the cross draw holster confuses the sheeple as I don't look like a cop and I don't look like a criminal. Seeing as how that's the only people who carry guns - according to the media - they don't know what to make of me. :cool:

LoveMyCountry

Mordis

imported post

what Ammo are you carrying in that pic? I have been on the search for .45colt ammo and almost all of what i find, is either ultra mild intended for cas, or ultra heavy hunting.

I did find some self defence .45colt but its vastly weaker when you compare it to its 1870"s counter part. The .45 colt round was standardised into 35 grains of powder, making around 950fps and 500ftlb+ with a 255gr bullet. Ignoring the grain weight of the bullet, none of the available standard pressure .45colt rounds come anywere near those powerlevels. Instead there just longer cased .45 scholefields.

I wont carry reloads for selfdefence, youll get eaten alive by the prosacution. SO it looks like im stuck carrying crappy rounds in .45 colt if i want a saa in that caliber. If anyone knows any sites that carry full power, standard pressure .45 rounds that are loaded to the same powerlevels as there 1875 counter parts id be much appreciative.

Mordis

imported post

Thanks agent19 I new about the winchester and, remington, but i didnt know about cci and speer. Looks like ill have to make due with 400+ftlb of energy instead of the more then 500 that the old catridges gave. Tho, im sure that wont make a lick of difference. Thank you for the links, i really appreciate them. It saves me more time looking for them.

I was looking at some of the links, and those are hunting bullets, they would kaboom the revo i want lol, tho the buffalo bore standard pressure rounds look like they fit the bill.

I wonder how hard the recoil is on them.

Agent19 wrote:

Mordis wrote:
I have been on the search for .45colt
here are some loads from major manufactures and a few links,
CCI Blazer has a 200hr JHP @ around 950fps
Speer has 250gr GD @ around 900fps
Winchester has a 225 @ around 920fps
the above velocity depend on your barrel length

Hope this helps you.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_55&products_id=209&osCsid=f7f7726323e4c45eee034ed3d8ac43f7

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_38&osCsid=f7f7726323e4c45eee034ed3d8ac43f7

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#low45

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#45colt

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/corbon/convjhp.htm

Mordis

imported post

Ya i saw them, but the guns im considering purchasing are Either the Cimmaron P or the Tuarus Guacho and Berreta Stampeed. I have to stick with standard pressure rounds, like the Wichester SilverTip or speer gold dot personal protection .45colt. and Buffalobore standard pressure 230grain.

Agent19 wrote:
Mordis wrote:
Looks like ill have to make due with 400+ftlb of energy instead of the more then 500 that the old catridges gave. Tho, im sure that

What gun are you using?

Cor-Bons 200gr JHp @ 1100 fps should work

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/corbon/convjhp.htm

thnycav

imported post

Here is my cavalry carry guns I carry 2 of them . The gun is a repro colt walker it weighs 4.5lbs and you can load it as hot as you can stand. It fires a solid lead ball. with over 8lbs of pistols I do let the horse carry them.

Attachments

• colt walker.jpg
    colt walker.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 307

Tomahawk

imported post

thnycav wrote:
Here is my cavalry carry guns I carry 2 of them . The gun is a repro colt walker it weighs 4.5lbs and you can load it as hot as you can stand. It fires a solid lead ball. with over 8lbs of pistols I do let the horse carry them.

I personally don't trust revolvers without a top strap. All that's keeping that thing from bending in two is that little piece of metal at the front of the frame.

Not that I'm doubting you; just not for me. I prefer a top strap.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

anyone seen those 1911 western style holsters before? I ran across them once and havent been able to relocate them since...