• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone encounter this situation

Lawman635

Poor Situational Awareness.

I actually agree with your decision. I had a similar incident happen to me in a wal-mart. I was standing in line, (poor situational awareness on my part) and a child of around the same age 13-14 came and put his hand on my weapon. I felt something pulling on my strong side. So I did what I had trained myself for. Crouched, lowered my elbow and sweeped. Low and behold and long story short I had a Fifteen year old kid proned out in a kotaguishi joint hold in about three seconds. I asked for the cops to be called and they showed up gave me a pat on the back and brought the kid home with a sore wrist to explain to his mother that he gets tyo live another day after doing something so stupid. I also called and talked to the father after finding out I worked with the guy but had never met his son.

"The only difference between an american and the rest of the world is that we would rather die on our feet, than live on our knee's"

Last edited:

Pistol Pete Utah

Other than looking Bad A$$ why have a leg rig holster?

I thought the only reason to have a leg holster is so your long gun doesn't hit your sidearm when it is on your hip?
I mean to each his own, I for one would never wear a leg rig, I look like a Bad A$$ without such a holster. lol

sigrscu

Simply a matter of personal preference.
When I was overseas I wore a thigh rig almost 20 hours a day and sometimes for consecutive days sleeping in the dirt and to me it's just a natural place. I do carry on my hip every now and then and of course when I decide on concealed it's almost always on my hip. But for 90% of the time it's in my leg.
Just feels good and I find I'm cleaner on a draw and fire sequence than if i draw from the hip or shoulder.
It's just what I know and what I trained with for quite some time.

OldCurlyWolf

I think if I had it to do over I probably simply would have simply put my arm out, pushed him back and while holding on to him, requested that the officer on duty (that location has a WVC officer assigned to most nights) be called over. I think the fear from having the police involved would have a much bigger effect on mom and offspring.
As a former member of our armed forces and a current cadet in the police academy I feel that I handled myself poorly. Those two titles require a few things. 1: a better sense of awareness. 2: A moral responsibility to do the ultimate right thing regardless of emotion and or training. Was smacking him the right thing to do? No, was it completely wrong of me? No. Simply there was a better way that I could, and should have dealt with it.
I spoke to some of my trainers in the academy and they all say similar things, be more aware and try and use a clearer head instead of knee jerk reactions.
However, if the person grabbing for my gun was older or a full grown man, my reaction may be different.

Your reaction was much gentler than mine would have been. When someone behind me does something I read as aggressive I usually throw an elbow with the intent to contact a solar plexus or a head.

Knowing that a teenager was behind me, I probably would have grabbed the offending hand and turned it into a wrist lock and put him on his knees.

He would have felt pain, but I wouldn't have damaged him, much.

donny

Had I been the mother I would've filed assault charges and let the court sort it out.

boyscout399

Had I been the mother I would've filed assault charges and let the court sort it out.

That would have probably caused the OP to file assault charges on the boy... As a mother the decision not to file charges considering the boy wasn't harmed is a wise one as it keeps her child out of hot water too...