• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone know anything about the new Colonial shooting range in Richmond?

riverrat10k

When perusing the videos above, the you tube page had some cell phone footage of noise from the range bleeding into the surrounding neighborhood.

A friend of mine, not on this board, joined (big discount for ex-military)and said he heard nothing in the parking lot.

Sound is funny sometimes. Wonder if they have a leak? Hard to believe they would not have very good soundproofing. Might have to swallow my OC pride and go with him sometime to check it out.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
I've put a video up (I've since took it down) of a guy shooting a 500 S&W. I was in the parking lot of the range. To be fair, I was on Broad Street and the traffic was drowning out everything. I'm convinced that the noise complainers are just anti-types that don't like the range in their neighborhood. The irony is that since Colonial cleaned up that property it has helped the neighborhood. Some people will gripe and moan if you cut them with a new knife.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I've put a video up (I've since took it down) of a guy shooting a 500 S&W. I was in the parking lot of the range. To be fair, I was on Broad Street and the traffic was drowning out everything. I'm convinced that the noise complainers are just anti-types that don't like the range in their neighborhood. The irony is that since Colonial cleaned up that property it has helped the neighborhood. Some people will gripe and moan if you cut them with a new knife.

Noise is usually the first anti complaint, they'll be clamoring about bullets through the wall soon enough,:lol:

ramblinman

Join as a group for discount

I've been to Colonial Shooting Academy a few times and it is very nice. Clean, friendly staff.

I've been paying per visit but would like to join at their Academy membership level. Info is available on their web-site. I spoke to them about a "group" membership and all I need are three other people to go in with me. They said we need to have nothing in common other than our interest in joining (friends and family if you will).

Their usual one-time $100 initiation fee is reduced to $75 and the $34.95 monthly fee is reduced to $29.00.

They have agreed to bill participants individually as long as we submit the initial applications and $75 initiation fees at one time. For those paying monthly, there is a monthly $3.00 surcharge. (They would waive this monthly surcharge if we agreed to one master bill payment. We are not doing this approach.)

For those who choose to pay one time annually, you will receive one month free.

Their usual rate is $20.00 per visit for non-members. Those visiting twice per month would save money by joining.

They require all the applications and checks to be submitted at one time. I am willing to coordinate the collection and delivery to them or the club itself offered to collect them for us.

Please contact me if you'd like more info or you're interested in joining. Note, I am unaffiliated with the club and receive no incentive (other than a cheaper group rate myself) if people join. Just trying to save a few bucks.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
do they allow defensive carry in their store?

Nope!
There was a long and very pointed thread about it a while back. The manager, someone else, another Latte Clown and a few others got on here and whined about needing the policy.

I finally shut up after finding out a friend had gone to work there.

papa bear

Nope!
There was a long and very pointed thread about it a while back. The manager, someone else, another Latte Clown and a few others got on here and whined about needing the policy.

sorry are you saying they do not allow defensive carry? i do not support a anti second amendment attitude

NO GUN= No money

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
sorry are you saying they do not allow defensive carry? i do not support a anti second amendment attitude

NO GUN= No money

Wait.....this is the old thread.
What I'm saying. They don't support a defensive 2A attitude. You can shoot but not carry.

Numenor

Nope!

Not quite correct. CC is fine, but they do not allow OC. Apparently it is some insurance reason. I got into a rather heated debate with their GM about it.

What I find most irritating about the policy (yes I am a member there) is that I can CC in, and then clear the firearm in front of an employee to use it on the range, yet cannot OC in and do the same. Also the fact that most of their staff OCs just makes the entire policy just stink. >_<

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not quite correct. CC is fine, but they do not allow OC. Apparently it is some insurance reason. I got into a rather heated debate with their GM about it.

What I find most irritating about the policy (yes I am a member there) is that I can CC in, and then clear the firearm in front of an employee to use it on the range, yet cannot OC in and do the same. Also the fact that most of their staff OCs just makes the entire policy just stink. >_<

Whatever, I'm not getting into the nuts and bolts of Colonial again.
I had to apologize to Kim the last time and I hate apologizing.

If you run into that last latte drinking Soccer Dad that just floated off, give him my regards! (I'll bet he carries a Lady Smith)

Doc_Smith

I was there last night. Some gripes I have are that you are required to watch the safety video no matter who you are. I'm a soldier with 6 years of service 2 of those deployed. I know better than most the importance of safety. Then we had to wait almost 2 hours for a lane to open up. My buddy and I were together and we were OC. One of the employees saw us and almost drew on us when he did. The staff in the store area were very uptight. But when we finally did get on the range the rso's were very nice and were just having a great time with the rest of us. Honestly I don't think I'll ever go back.

papa bear

where there is elitism there is an attitude we do not need in the firearm world. you should never think you are better then everyone else or you might get proven wrong one day

spitfyr

I was there last night. Some gripes I have are that you are required to watch the safety video no matter who you are. I'm a soldier with 6 years of service 2 of those deployed. I know better than most the importance of safety. Then we had to wait almost 2 hours for a lane to open up. My buddy and I were together and we were OC. One of the employees saw us and almost drew on us when he did. The staff in the store area were very uptight. But when we finally did get on the range the rso's were very nice and were just having a great time with the rest of us. Honestly I don't think I'll ever go back.

My #1 gripe about Colonial is their "only one gun on the bench at a time" policy.

Not a problem if you are one person with one gun or you and a buddy are sharing one gun. However it's a whole lot of unnecessary moving, handling, storing, holstering, casing, etc - NOT ALWAYS POINTED DOWN RANGE OR IN A SAFE DIRECTION EITHER, FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN IN ADJACENT LANES - if you are there with more than one gun or with buddies each of whom have brought several guns. An hour of "oh hey let me put my Glock back in the bag so you can shoot your Ruger, then we'll switch 'em" gets mighty annoying and opens up much more margin for error than the usual "come in, lay your arsenal out, only touch one at a time (when shooting it), double check that they are all cleared, put 'em all away, leave" I am used to elsewhere.

Last time I was warned by the RSO when I dared to put two pistols on the table from the start because I only wanted to handle them as safely and infrequently as possible. I politely explained my position and to my surprise he agreed ("I don't know what you've got down there in that bag and whether it's loaded or not, at least on the table I can see it") but he said those were the rules for us all to follow and he was certainly nice enough about it.

I'll go back, but only because it's clean and well lit and closer to the house than Dominion.