• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Appleton open carry detainment at gun point

jegoodin

It was good to see (hear) them both remain calm and soft spoken during the whole encounter. Too many of these youtube postings are filled with the OC'ers screaming wildly and going berserk.

You got to love the fact that the camera got all the audio of the cops conspiring to try to catch them for minor things as a way to cover their a$$es, even after the DA they called apparently told the cops to let them go.

They cops must have a play book because as a different cop would walk over the same things were suggested: find and search/ticket their cars, talk to the market people, run their permits, and run the serial numbers. Did they really think that by some fluke the permits would have been invalidated in the 15 min since the last time they inquired?

Very entertaining, but very sad. Good luck with the law suit.

jhfc

This case is particularly egregious, with the combination of threat of deadly force, attempt to stop a recording in progress, and conspiring to create trumped-up charges.

There needs to be a push to more easily pierce qualified immunity and go directly after the oath breaking thugs themselves.

I hope the victims of this abuse sue the city, LEA and LEOs involved.

MKEgal

protias said:
If they were CCing, then the officer would be able to ask for their CCLs (doesn't sound like they did).
CC is not a crime in WI, it is a forfeiture of $1000 if you do not have a CCL and not on your own property.
They were ccing pistols, and the officers did search their wallets & run their ccl twice (about 30 min apart, while the men were handcuffed & locked in police cars).
CCW is a crime in WI. In fact, it's a class A misdemeanor (up to 9mo jail, up to $10,000 fine).
AMHIK. :mad:
Perhaps you're thinking of simply not having your license on you? That's 175.60(2g) and the penalty is in 175.60(17)(a) ($25 ticket, which must be waived if you bring your license to the LEA whose employee wrote the ticket).

marshaul said:
Technically this thread is against the forum rules, which prohibit discussion of long gun OC.
Baked on Grease said:
My view on this is that we are not discussing Long Gun OC, we are talking about the abuse of police power and the violations of a person's Rights
I agree with BOG.

jegoodin said:
You got to love the fact that the camera got all the audio of the cops conspiring to try to catch them for minor things as a way to cover their a$$es, even after the DA they called apparently told the cops to let them go.
The one officer turned off the camera, but didn't realize that the one victim's phone was recording (and locked).
Priceless.

protias

They were ccing pistols, and the officers did search their wallets & run their ccl twice (about 30 min apart, while the men were handcuffed & locked in police cars).
CCW is a crime in WI. In fact, it's a class A misdemeanor (up to 9mo jail, up to $10,000 fine).
AMHIK. :mad:
Perhaps you're thinking of simply not having your license on you? That's 175.60(2g) and the penalty is in 175.60(17)(a) ($25 ticket, which must be waived if you bring your license to the LEA whose employee wrote the ticket).

I agree with BOG.

The one officer turned off the camera, but didn't realize that the one victim's phone was recording (and locked).
Priceless.

Actually, when this first came out, I didn't know they were CCing handguns.