• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are all scientists this stupid?

Haz.

After having read most of this thread I have come to the conclusion that Tawnos is not an atheist but is an agnostic and doesn't really know what he believes and is therefore not worthy of anyone's effort whatsoever on this subject. The best way to shut him up is to totally ignore him on this subject.:cool:

G-Day OldCurlyWolf.

"The best way to shut him up is to totally ignore him on this subject."

I agree mate and the ignore list is a helpfull tool!

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
G-Day OldCurlyWolf.

I agree mate and the ignore list is a helpfull tool!

Some people never shut up, that's why the mods put in the ignore feature. So that way, unless you like bashing your head against the empty concrete wall that is liberalism, you can just skip over the pseudo-intellectual anti Christian bull scat without being dumbfounded by just how vapid a person can be programmed to be.

Last edited:

Tawnos

Some people never shut up, that's why the mods put in the ignore feature. So that way, unless you like bashing your head against the empty concrete wall that is liberalism, you can just skip over the pseudo-intellectual anti Christian bull scat without being dumbfounded by just how vapid a person can be programmed to be.

I thought that was a feature built into the boards, not something the mods added. Not sure what about what I said was liberalism or pseudo-intellectual or anti-Christian or programmed, but hey, whatever brainwashing floats your boat.

irish52084

I would like to add something about the brain and the argument that it is too amazing to be evolved. The brain is a perfect example of evolution. It catalogs information to increase our chances of survival. It disposes of no longer needed information while we rest. When being choked by the absence of blood, not air, the brain shuts body functions in about 8 seconds. It terminates short term memory and causes tunnel vision and a lack of focus when needed most. The human brain isn't very efficient either, it requires a great deal of energy. Humans have the most dense brains of any animal, by a genetic mutation, not by divine design. We know through genetic research that the brains of our ancestors were different than ours, yet we could still mate with each other and produce offspring with either set of traits through recessive genes.

Evolution does not necessarily mean a slow progression from one thing to the next. It most often happens via recessive genes. Look at dog breeding as an example. If a mating pair of dogs carry a recessive gene for blue eyes, yet both have brown eyes, there is a roughly 25% chance a puppy they conceive will have blue eyes. This is a genetic mutation and can happen instantly without warning.

Another example are diseases, bacteria and viruses. They mutate to survive against antibiotics and medical treatment. Look at staph and MRSA. MRSA is a genetic mutation of staph and requires stronger medication to combat. Staph didn't slowly mutate into MRSA, MRSA started showing up as a misdiagnoses of poisonous spider bites. It has a greatly enhanced resistance to treatment and kills more people than AIDS.

Another great example of how evolution works is your own body. Your body right now has a specific skill set and strength. If you were to begin a new job that required you to lift objects heavier than you are used to, it will adapt to the change in conditions by diverting proteins to your damaged muscle tissue to facilitate repair and muscle growth. Your body meets a demand of it's environment by mutating.

As a relation to staph and MRSA, you have staph on your skill all the time, some people are genetically more capable of controlling the bacteria while others do not. Same goes for HPV AKA herpes. We all have it, just that some people are less capable of controlling it. The more your body is exposed the HPV, the more able it is to control it's presence in and on your body. People who suffer outbreaks from HPV have fewer and fewer symptoms after the first outbreak. Long term sufferers often get to a point where they won't have outbreaks for years or decades.

If you want to believe in a creator, that's fine by me, but do not shoot evolution down because of that belief.

rodbender

We know through genetic research that the brains of our ancestors were different than ours, yet we could still mate with each other and produce offspring with either set of traits through recessive genes.

Gee, I wonder which set of traits Tawnos and yourself wound up with.

You guys have been bounding about things like weak minded and brainwashed so much I couldn't help myself.

Haz.

You guys have been bounding about things like weak minded and brainwashed so much I couldn't help myself.

Good question? I wonder which similar traits they have? I listened to a radio programon the ABC this morning and scientists were discussing new findings regarding the creation of the universe whilst using the new accelerator in Switzerland.

The scientist, talking on the ADC, waffelled on about the big bang having "POSSIBLY" occured like this, according to their experiments conducted so far in this field, the Big Bang.

He said when they smashed the atoms in the accelerator, they found a mercury "TYPE" vapor being produced, which, they said, could "POSSIBLY" have evolved into "SOME SORT OF" Primevil Soup, immediately after the initial Big Bang?

How interesting I thought to myself.

The first question which sprang tomind was, where did the atoms smashing together, and the accelerator in which they were samshed come from before the original Big bang?

Maybe the atoms and the accelerator evolved over billions of years from ? ? ? ? ? ordid the accelerator evolve first? If the atoms evolved first, then the accelerator, who put the atoms in the accelerator and fired them off?

Tawnos will have an anwser but fortunately he's on ignore, Lol. Haz.

rodbender

Good question? I wonder which similar traits they have? I listened to a radio programon the ABC this morning and scientists were discussing new findings regarding the creation of the universe whilst using the new accelerator in Switzerland.

The scientist, talking on the ADC, waffelled on about the big bang having "POSSIBLY" occured like this, according to their experiments conducted so far in this field, the Big Bang.

He said when they smashed the atoms in the accelerator, they found a mercury "TYPE" vapor being produced, which, they said, could "POSSIBLY" have evolved into "SOME SORT OF" Primevil Soup, immediately after the initial Big Bang?

How interesting I thought to myself.

The first question which sprang tomind was, where did the atoms smashing together, and the accelerator in which they were samshed come from before the original Big bang?

Maybe the atoms and the accelerator evolved over billions of years from ? ? ? ? ? ordid the accelerator evolve first? If the atoms evolved first, then the accelerator, who put the atoms in the accelerator and fired them off?

I don't have anybody on ignore. This one of those times when I want to say just enough to see if I can keep them showing how smart they are. Gee, I guess I just gave my game plan away. Oh, well.

Haz.

I don't have anybody on ignore. This one of those times when I want to say just enough to see if I can keep them showing how smart they are. Gee, I guess I just gave my game plan away. Oh, well.

Hi mate.

I only have one on ignore, and guess who, yep, I know you know, and guess why, Yep, that too. Haz.

Tawnos

Hi mate.

I only have one on ignore, and guess who, yep, I know you know, and guess why, Yep, that too. Haz.

Tearing down copy-pasted BS hurt your feelings? Couldn't think of good answers for the response? Didn't enjoy that I would dare bring facts into a discussion where you were pontificating about beliefs?

As for the Large Hadron Collider, what they were saying was that conditions immediately after the big bang likely resembled those modeled inside the lead collision, because the superheated conditions within the collider caused the neutrons and protons inside to melt into their more basic subatomic particles. In essence, they were able to create a quark/gluon soup that they were comparing to the predicted model of what followed the big bang but preceded matter formation as we know it. Through examining this model, the scientists are able to look for particular strengths and shortcomings of the model, and examine a bit more than previously how some of the fundamental forces operate.

For Christian scientists who have disabled their intellectual curiosity, the above could be replaced with "goddidit", but that's hardly an interesting or satisfying explanation.

Edit:Been reading through SMBC, came across this one and found it fitting.

Last edited:

rodbender

Tearing down copy-pasted BS hurt your feelings? Couldn't think of good answers for the response? Didn't enjoy that I would dare bring facts into a discussion where you were pontificating about beliefs?

As for the Large Hadron Collider, what they were saying was that conditions immediately after the big bang likely resembled those modeled inside the lead collision, because the superheated conditions within the collider caused the neutrons and protons inside to melt into their more basic subatomic particles. In essence, they were able to create a quark/gluon soup that they were comparing to the predicted model of what followed the big bang but preceded matter formation as we know it. Through examining this model, the scientists are able to look for particular strengths and shortcomings of the model, and examine a bit more than previously how some of the fundamental forces operate.

For Christian scientists who have disabled their intellectual curiosity, the above could be replaced with "goddidit", but that's hardly an interesting or satisfying explanation.

Edit:Been reading through SMBC, came across this one and found it fitting.

He,he,he, see what I mean? This one doesn't seem to be able to resist.

sFe

You question the origin of something so simple as hydrogen and helium, which may even be explained sometime in the future, but not something so complex as a god.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Weak brained? You don't need any skeptical thinking or logic to believe in a god as is shown by your comments. It's takes some independent thought to question the probability of a god.

Tawnos

He,he,he, see what I mean? This one doesn't seem to be able to resist.

What can I say? I value trying to teach or discuss things even those who are unwilling or unable to learn. The fact you revel in your own ignorance should be a source of shame, not pride.

Last edited:

LV XD9

Hi mate.

Well, I suppose that's one way to avoid actually addressing anything he's posted. A cowardly way, no doubt, but a valid method nonetheless.

Last edited:

eye95

I was in a bar a few weeks back. The guy on the next stool and I were having a discussion. He was being a bit of an ass about it, but I tolerated it for a while. As the discussion progressed, he continued to be an ass about it. So I got up and moved to a table where some other folks I knew were talking. We had a much more enjoyable conversation.

The guy I left kept talking to anyone who would listen, but I have no idea what he said, nor did I care.

I guess I am a coward.

Just as in real life, we choose with whom we wish to interact online. If someone continually behaves in a way we find annoying, we just avoid that person. Online, that is done via the ignore feature. It's no big deal; it's just how we choose to make life more enjoyable.