• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arguments Against: Guns are only designed to kill?

Legba

imported post

Marksmanship is a "martial art" in a literal application of the term.

-ljp

danbus

imported post

Pointman wrote
My intent in an attack situation is to stop the threat, not to kill someone. If they die, that is an unfortunateconsequence of their actions, not mine.

Word.

Edit: I personally phrase it "my intention is to stop the threat, if they happen to die, it's just a side effect of getting shot".

Overtaxed

imported post

I think my post was meant to highlight the intellectual bankruptcy of the anti-gun position. When asked a very reasonable question about what alternative to a firearm they think we should use for protection, their answer is either a blank stare, a deflection of the question, or ineffectual self-defense advice.

rodbender

imported post

Overtaxed wrote:
I think my post was meant to highlight the intellectual bankruptcy of the anti-gun position. When asked a very reasonable question about what alternative to a firearm they think we should use for protection, their answer is either a blank stare, a deflection of the question, or ineffectual self-defense advice.

They are self proclaimed pacifists. I just wonder what goes through a pacifist's mind when being attacked. Could they possibly be thinking, "I should have joined the NRA"?

Are they really pacifist like they claim? I was listening to Cam and Co. one night and a guest was talking about a late night debate he and another guy were having on a show with an anti-gunner. When the debate was over, she asked if they could walk her to her car. They did so and then asked "Why?". She said she assumed they werecarrying and this is a bad part of town. They assured her they were not and this is D.C., it would be illegal.

Aegis

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Something I hear or readoften from the anti-gun (or otherwise ignorant) people is that "guns/assault weapons/handgunsare only designed to kill (people)." It was stated in theFX show "30 Days" this Tuesday and the pro-gun guy didn't have a good response if I remember correctly.

How do you argue against something like that?

I would tend to point out the 2+ million defensive gun uses in the US without even firing a shot, but what if they don't believe the studies?It would be hard for me to sufficiently argue that a firearm is designed to "defend" and not "attack."

Or perhaps a comparison of other objects and their "intended" uses? A gun is simply designed to fire a projectile, and can be used for good or evil, the same as a computer is simply designed to move bits of data around, and can be used for both as well? Pencils make lines on paper, cars move along carrying people & cargo, etc.?

I would like to know if anyone has had a good comeback for this that actually seemed to change someone's belief that "Guns are only designed to kill."

Thanks,

...Orygunner...

Only if they are made properly......:dude:

imperialism2024

imported post

rodbender wrote:
You are correct. That was Sampson. Sorry.

Judges 15:15-16 NIV

Finding a fresh jawbone of a donkey, he grabbed it and struck down a thousand men. Then Sampson said,

"Witha donkey's jawbone

I have made donkeys of them.

With a donkeys jawbone

I have killed a thousand men."
Moral of the story: don't piss off Samson.

Could make for an interesting open-carry. Though it might be hard finding a retention holster for a J-frame donkey's jawbone...

:celebrate

Er, carry on...

Darren Stevens

imported post

I do get annoyed by the anti-gunners who think that you get rid of the guns, and you get rid of the problem! Once invented you cannot simply wish guns away, we have a gun ban here in England, yet gun crime has gone up! As stated in previous posts a gun doesn't kill a person by itself, it needs someone behind it to pull the trigger!

With intent any item could be used to kill a person! On September 11th 2001 almost 3000 innocent people were killed by evil b*stards armed with boxcutters, not a gun in sight.

Guns are not the problem, regretably there is evil in this world, and guns do give people the opportunity to protect themselves, and their loved ones.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Darren Stevens wrote:
I do get annoyed by the anti-gunners who think that you get rid of the guns, and you get rid of the problem! Once invented you cannot simply wish guns away, we have a gun ban here in England, yet gun crime has gone up! As stated in previous posts a gun doesn't kill a person by itself, it needs someone behind it to pull the trigger!

With intent any item could be used to kill a person! On September 11th 2001 almost 3000 innocent people were killed by evil b*stards armed with boxcutters, not a gun in sight.

Guns are not the problem, regretably there is evil in this world, and guns do give people the opportunity to protect themselves, and their loved ones.
+1