• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arrest and Dismissal of Disorderly Conduct Charges for Open Carry

stacks04

imported post

Rich, first off I have been away from the forums for a little bit, I missed quite a bit. I want to say I am sorry this happened to you, but frankly i am not. You would be one of a few I am glad this happened to. You said and did the appropriate things and imo did some good for this cause. I wish you did not have to ruin an otherwise good night, but it changed the views of more than one person, and forced them to obey the law. They have no choice but to move forward obeying the law and not there personal agendas, or they risk more than whats happening to them currently. On behalf of my friends and I, Thank you.

Recon Marine

imported post

Ed, Or Rich,

Was this “Bondsman trouble maker” under the influence of alcohol. In the audio transcript I read (Off. Flood) never asked the waitress (unless I missed it), & the threads I read make no mention, of alcohol being a factor, though I seems to be a highly relevant question?

Rich B

imported post

I think it would be solid logic to assume he was inebriated, but that wont be something anyone can prove now since the police refused to listen to me or anyone else stating who the real perpetrator was that night.

Edward Peruta

imported post

The alcohol factor will never be an issue because the attention of the responding officers was on the man with the gun.

The Billiard Hall serves alcohol and the staff might know whether or not he had been consuming on the premise.

What we do know is that Rich was not drinking, speaking loudly and was not asked to leave.

This incident is a very good teaching tool for any instructor or person who is attempting to carry openly or concealed.

atrule

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
The alcohol factor will never be an issue because the attention of the responding officers was on the man with the gun.

The Billiard Hall serves alcohol and the staff might know whether or not he had been consuming on the premise.

What we do know is that Rich was not drinking, speaking loudly and was not asked to leave.

This incident is a very good teaching tool for any instructor or person who is attempting to carry openly or concealed.

I agree, but I am not certain to all the things learned here. Right now, I don't want to OC in Wallingford (I have some errands right now too) without at least lodging my protests to the WPD for failure to protect Rich. Will they do the same to me? If so, I don't feel safe without raising a big stink about that. I plan to go to the CCDL meeting tonight. I hope to talk about this a little more there as to what I need to do.

Rich B

imported post

atrule wrote:
I agree, but I am not certain to all the things learned here. Right now, I don't want to OC in Wallingford (I have some errands right now too) without at least lodging my protests to the WPD for failure to protect Rich. Will they do the same to me? If so, I don't feel safe without raising a big stink about that. I plan to go to the CCDL meeting tonight. I hope to talk about this a little more there as to what I need to do.

This is the safest time to OC in Wallingford. If anyone was to give you any trouble, just mention my name. They have been informed of the legality, and every officer I have met since my arrest knows my name and that OC is legal. I open carried in Wallingford at the memorial day parade and was stopped by an officer and asked for my permit. He was polite and cordial and yes, he knew my name and that OC is legal.

I will be at the meeting, although I am fighting a severe back problem at the moment. I want to make sure I share this with everyone. I will be easy to spot, I will be limping and bent towards the floor...

atrule

imported post

Okay, Rich, I am going to OC right now!

I have a few things to pick up at various places.

Thanks for the encouragement. Although, I still feel the need to raise some stink about this for the sake of the Public Welfare. Please advise (maybe tonight Rich and anyone) where and how.

Rich B

imported post

atrule wrote:
Okay, Rich, I am going to OC right now!

I have a few things to pick up at various places.

Thanks for the encouragement. Although, I still feel the need to raise some stink about this for the sake of the Public Welfare. Please advise (maybe tonight Rich and anyone) where and how.

I encourage as much stink be raised as possible, but there is definitely no need to feel scared about open carrying. The WPD has been put in their place for now. We have plenty of work to do, but I don't think they are crazy enough to cause another problem with open carriers.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Rich B wrote:
atrule wrote:

This is the safest time to OC in Wallingford. If anyone was to give you any trouble, just mention my name. They have been informed of the legality, and every officer I have met since my arrest knows my name and that OC is legal. I open carried in Wallingford at the memorial day parade and was stopped by an officer and asked for my permit. He was polite and cordial and yes, he knew my name and that OC is legal.

I will be at the meeting, although I am fighting a severe back problem at the moment. I want to make sure I share this with everyone. I will be easy to spot, I will be limping and bent towards the floor...
Ok so no hearty slaps on the back for standing up for our rights in Wallingford.. gotcha. I hope you feel better soon.

cbnlnk121

imported post

Umm .. maybe a dumb question but are we allowed to Carry at the CCDL meeting tonight?

I'm only asking because some of the 'private' clubs do not allow firearms.

Rich B

imported post

cbnlnk121 wrote:
Umm .. maybe a dumb question but are we allowed to Carry at the CCDL meeting tonight?

The standing rule AFAIK is 'no guns in the clubhouse'.

JohnGalt

imported post

Rich B wrote:
I open carried in Wallingford at the memorial day parade and was stopped by an officer and asked for my permit. He was polite and cordial and yes, he knew my name and that OC is legal.
Did you give him your permit? If so, did you hesitate or exchange any words over his request?

Rich B

imported post

GunTotingLawyer wrote:
Did you give him your permit?  If so, did you hesitate or exchange any words over his request?

I gave it to him, but I mentioned that I was only doing it because he was being polite and that I was under no obligation.

He did not agree, nor does the rest of the WPD.

Recon Marine

imported post

Public intoxication, + disorderly conduct, could be or could be made outto bethe stem of this whole incident & become the main basis of argument,& would show an attack on your 2[suP]nd[/suP] amendment rights by the police. If one were to enquire & gain statements from the wait staff or other patrons on alcohol being consumed by the Bondsman, it shows the gross negligence of the police department to conduct a complete, non biased simplistic investigation!

If a cop is called out to a bar for any type of altercation the 1[suP]st[/suP] “classic” question asked is how much have you had to drink this evening?” The lack of clarity and the fact that this question was never asked or noted is a huge “negligent” problem. A individual consuming alcohol running around screaming at a man with a firearm who happened to be acting in a perfectly rational matter, let’s face it, the issue at hand was allready being addressed by the Establishment owner. The wana be cop Bondsman was attempting to pick a fight, or trying to look like a “bad ass”, in the eye’s of the Patron’s.

Hey he “punked” a guy with a gun, In the eye’s of his “Boyz + any pool hall Bitches:celebrate” he’s a bad mo fo! Hey Rich did the Bondsman get Pussy that night from some strange bitch drinkin’ that night in the pool hall, for punkin’ you down, LOL.

The phone interview posted By Ed Peruta, is clear in my eye’s, that cop never even asked the waitress, when she told him how this regular at the establishment, “got loud”, how hard was it to ask, “did you observe the bondsman drinking prior to this incident”!

Rich B

imported post

Recon Marine wrote:
If a cop is called out to a bar for any type of altercation the 1[suP]st[/suP] “classic” question asked is how much have you had to drink this evening?”

I was never even asked this myself. I didn't drink at all that day (never do when I might be OCing), but I was surprised no one asked. They could have at least come up with a valid charge if I had been.

They took my statement against Mr. Vanaman, but I know the WPD is not interested in making that arrest. It is clear they think they did the right thing and that I am wasting my time 'complaining that my rights were violated'.

Recon Marine

imported post

I would put together relevant info, (Like the transcript’s Ed has), & your version of what occurred, reference them as exhibits throughout the narrative, also list rulings or law, ask CCDL for help putting it together then call the State Attorney Headquarters in Rocky hill, CT, Ed’s P’s stompin’ ground and file a complaint against, the Wallingford PD if justice is not seved, for unlawful detention, and the WanaBe Cop for making false statements. They have a division that handles complaints against local PD’s. See if you can get some statement’s on the man's condition that evening, if CCDL will help with that resource. You don’t need a privet investigator if they have a notary public willing to take a statement, that will suffice.

You will get your response in writing and don’t be discouraged if they don’t take action because they just dig a deeper whole, for the system failure and the people involved when you move forward civilly as you tried to exhaust all your legal option’s, amicably and it will probably simplify the process for you, and give you stronger evidence from complaints raised through official channels that always seem to fail to act, such as Wallingford Internal affairs, for a civil action, and make your case more favorable to some Gun Totin’ ambulance chaser who might take it pro bono.

gluegun

imported post

Rich B wrote:
cbnlnk121 wrote:

The standing rule AFAIK is 'no guns in the clubhouse'.
I realize this is off topic and late, but...

Guns ARE allowed at the CCDL meetings in Middletown. Unfortunately, the venue has asked that they remain concealed.

CCDL would consider changing venues if we found one that met the following criteria:
- Can accommodate up to 50 (or more) people
- Allows open carry
- Available on a regular night and time every month
- Centrally located in the state
- Inexpensive to use for a couple of hours
- Is a place other than a gun shop or club

I don't want to pull the thread further off topic so if you have any suggestions/questions/comments about the venue, please pm or e-mail me: secretary@ccdl.us

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

WOW! Just read the entire thread and went back and double checked some points.

The only thing that might have made your case stronger Rich would have been an audio recording of your conversations that in the establishment.

I appears to me that Ct. does permit this as you were a party to the conversation.
http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/connecticut.html

Thanks for standing up for your and our rights. Hope you are able to get proper representation on this.

Yata hey