• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arrested for brandishing a gun at Rebel Flag supporter?

Repeater

Brandishing Man gets 12 months for pulling gun

No way he could be that stupid.

Well ... maybe he is; at least the court thought so:

Amelia man gets 12 months for pulling gun on flaggers
Chesterfield General District Court Judge Matthew D. Nelson last week found James S. Baker, 47, of Amelia Courthouse, guilty of brandishing a firearm, a class 1 misdemeanor. Nelson told Baker that he made the wrong choice on July 13 when instead of continuing east on U.S. Route 360, he decided to make a U-turn and confront a group of county residents displaying Confederate flags on the side of the highway.

After listening to testimony from four witnesses, Nelson sentenced Baker to 12 months in jail, with 11 months suspended and ordered him to pay $262 in fines and court costs. Nelson also ordered that Baker forfeit his .45-caliber Ruger semi-automatic pistol.

Oh wow - what happens to that gun, now? Can we bid on it or something?

Now to the question: how stupid is stupid? Well...
Wilson, who also was carrying a Confederate flag, said Baker turned his vehicle around and pulled into the median strip. After Baker exited the vehicle, Wilson testified that Baker pulled out a handgun, loaded a round in the chamber and pointed the gun at him and said, “Your cause worth it now?”

Wilson said that seconds later Baker got back in his vehicle and sped away but not before he was able to get Baker’s license plate number and notify the police.

How's that for stupid? Also:
Bullard (the defense attorney) argued that Baker produced his handgun as an act of self-defense because he felt threatened.

Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Laura S. Khawaja countered there was no testimony that anyone was using the flags in a threatening manner.

“They were just holding the flag that day,” she said.

Khawaja asked that the court find Baker guilty and impose an active jail sentence.

Placing a round in the chamber of a gun and then pointing it at someone is “incredibly serious,” Khawaja said.

Gee, you think?

sidestreet

Just from what I've seen here and in the news…,

I can't say that I disagree with the conviction, or the sentence, though I think the convicted should pay a lot more in fines. Self Defense? Now THAT'S a stretch, "Stupid is as stupid does, sir.", apologies to Forrest Gump.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29:11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.