• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AS OF 1600hrs - New Mexico Reciprocity Now 5 States

CDinNM

I wonder too. He said in one e-mail to me that I was"busting his chops" in his exact words. That does not seem to be the words for an official of a state government use to somebody inquiring about his reciprocity changes. It was not my intent to "bust his chops" in any manner. Bob.

I would fwd a copy of that e-mail to the govs office . . def not prof on his side to comment/reply to you that way. The Gov needs slap him about it big-time, his position it too high up the ladder to come off like a moron. But then, maybe he is a moron and wears it on his sleeve . . maybe its a good thing he is not totaly at the top and there is someone higher in the food chain . . LOL !!!

IF this mess has happened due to someone's politics, whoever that is needs their chops busted, well, maybe would be good turning on a spit . . but they DO need removed from whatever position they hold.

As I see it, 17K+ people at $100 a throw is $1,700,000.oo Not bad if you look at it from a 4 year perspective, that's $425,000.oo per year budget. Now I know that they do have some overhead, but still . . and reciprosity costs them nothing . . It is an all out GAIN to the incomes of small-med-large businesses. The hunting license fees WELL support that division, and tourism gains are big also, I have 2 neighbors that have Outfitter/hinting businesses. Just a few miles from me is a nice range www.capitanhighpower.com/ they hold shooting events there all the time. We have rv parks/campgrounds, motel, cabin rental, etc in the area, they have good financial gains as well. New Mexico IS a great place for gun enthusiasts and hunters. My area is a nice place to live, great place to visit, lots of things in the nearby community of Ruidoso, and in the winter we are not far from Ski Apache, another tourist hot spot.

I hate to see some baffoon in a state agency cause so much damage to a very self-sustaining industry. We the People of New Mexico are not like what seems to represent us in many places of our state gov, yet we ARE the ones who are damaged the most from all their crap. I have lived here for 10 years, I have been VERY involved in state stuff that does not cut the muster in a lot of places, I guess it's time to get more involved in the 'gun' stuff as well.

CD

CDinNM

That is pure BS. Word got to other states and they actually changed their policies because of this.

It's either incompetence, or they underestimated the effect the internet would have, even in this day, in addition to the size and "connectedness" of the national ccw/firearm community.

I have also been wondering if this has all been some form of political posturing and planned to happen like this. I wouldn't put anything past anyone at this point.

In any event they look like fools.

Yes, is truly BS, that is what my comment about being a msuhroom was all about. and YES, it is incompetence, underestimation, and some kind of political adgenda for sure . . we have one party in office, another party who LOVES to undermine them at every turn . . the GAMES that are going on right now are running similar to the fast and furious . .

To call them fools is a compliment, they deserve much worse names . . but I will refrain using what the should be called . . and I bet behind a closed door the correct names HAVE been uttered . .

CD

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
@ CDinNM: Where is "your area?"

Put your city/town/village (instead of just "New Mexico" -- it's a big state) in your profile...so it shows below your forum member name.

EDIT: I'm guessing Alamogordo or Las Cruces.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
All those states do not conform to the list of the 6 items in their permitting process. I guess New Mexico does not want people with guns in our state who cannot pass the muster that our residents must pass to get a permit. What I cannot see/understand is the possibility of those states on the list NOT allowing New Mexico residents the privledge of CC in their state simply because WE New Mexicans EXCEED the minimum requirements of licensure. I get that reciprosity is a two way street, but I am hoping that it does not become just a political game at the expense of the gun owners. While they may just be getting around to the completion of the audit mentioned in the state website, they really do need to give some kind of time sensitive allowance instead of just ending reciprosity. Maybe New Mexico can come up with some kind of plan for an out of state person to take our classes and get up to speed, then issue them a non-res permit. I can really see the need for a nation-wide CC plan, we need to get the DC crowd to understand the needs of the citizens. After taking New Mexicos classroom and range requirements, I find no reason whatsoever that what we have for licensure requirements should not be the national standard for all CC gun owners. It def was not all that difficult to pass that stuff to get a permit.

CD

It was your state that decided to drop reciprocity, but the states that were dropped should just bow and accept the fact and still allow citizens from NM to carry? I do not agree with this. If NM is not going to allow residents from Ky to carry, after we have been able to do so for quite some time, then NM residents should not be allowed to carry in Ky. Of course NM residents will still be allowed to do so because Ky recognizes ALL states licenses, just as EVERY state should. Ky also allows everyone to OC unrestricted on person and in vehicles, so there is definitely not a problem, nor will there be for others to carry in Ky, because Ky recognizes our constitutional right to bear arms, without unconstitutional infringements and burdens.

I believe New Mexico's licensing requirements are extremely too burdensome, and they certainly should not be the national standard. The nonsense you must go through to get a permit is ridiculous, and having to renew every 2 years is absurd. I find it insulting that NM would drop reciprocity with my state simply because we respect the right to bear ARMS, and do not impose ridiculous requirements to get a concealed weapons license.

Last edited: