• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asheville OC Meet

WNCTarheel

imported post

OK

Day: 10th of July.

Time: 10:00AM.

Place: Blue Ridge Parkway Visitor Center. Mile Marker 384. This is just north of where you get on the BRP at Hwy 74 entrance. Coming from the west, get off I-40 at exit 53A and turn right. The entrance to the BRP is a few hundred yards up Hwy 74. Get on the BRP heading north ( towards Mt Mitchell ). The Visitor center is just a mile or so up from the entrance. The sign might also say "Heritage Center". We will meet in the parking lot. Do not go inside the Visitor Center while OC!

Once there we will get acquainted and go over the plans for the rest of the day.

I will be bringing copies of the NC Open Carry law flyers that are downloadable from another post on this forum. They will come in handy.

Robert

Last edited:

WNCTarheel

I'm sorry, but the forum switch deleted all of the PMs that were sent to me with cell phone numbers and names of the people planning to attend this OC meet. Please resend them to me. Thanks!

WNCTarheel

Just bumping this up, because the meeting is this Saturday. So far we have 4 people, plus one that will not be OC but will be CC, to videotape for us. Of course, we welcome others.

Day: 10th of July.

Time: 10:00AM.

Place: Blue Ridge Parkway Visitor Center. Mile Marker 384. This is just north of where you get on the BRP at Hwy 74 entrance. Coming from the west, get off I-40 at exit 53A and turn right. The entrance to the BRP is a few hundred yards up Hwy 74. Get on the BRP heading north ( towards Mt Mitchell ). The Visitor center is just a mile or so up from the entrance. The sign might also say "Heritage Center". We will meet in the parking lot. Do not go inside the Visitor Center while OC!

Once there we will get acquainted and go over the plans for the rest of the day.

I will be bringing copies of the NC Open Carry law flyers that are downloadable from another post on this forum. They will come in handy.

WNCTarheel

Just as a note for those planning to attend. Please dress neatly. Causual wear is fine, ( and shorts if you wish, because of the heat ) but no camo clothes or T-shirts with slogans or designs on them. We're trying to go for a positive look here.

Thanks

WNCTarheel

The meet went very well. We had 5 people total and met first at the parkway visitor center. After getting acquainted we then headed downtown an parked in on of the garages. Spent a little over 1 hr walking about downtown ( around noon ) and it was a great day. Sunny, in the low 80s and a slight breeze. There were a lot of people out Although we had fliers to hand out in case anyone had questions, nobody approached us to ask. Practically no reactions at all to our carrying, other than a few side glances and one young guy that said something to his friend that sounded like "Whoa, that dude's packing!" . I was very happy with the way it went and with meeting up with others interested in our cause. Once I get the pictures from our designated picture taker, I will post them up here.

Sahib0120

I really enjoyed going to this, and meeting people in the area that share the same interests about carrying. This was my first time OC in a more heavily populated area like downtown, and I was surprised that with the exception of a couple of glances that hardly anyone at all noticed or said anything. We definitely need to organize another meet sometime, and see if we can get more people to come as well.

Last edited:

sultan62

If there is another Asheville OC meet, I'd like to know. I'm back up in the area, and would like to attend.

Dreamer

I am going to be in Asheville next weekend. If there is interest in getting a small OC dinner together please let me know so I can make time in my schedule. I'd love to meet some OC folks from "out west"...

sultan62

OC meet in Asheville this weekend sounds good to me.

Dreamer, since you're coming into town, what times are best for you? I've only been OCing for about two months, so I haven't done an OC meet yet and would like to. I actually haven't even seen another OCer in that time period, except LEOs.

sultan62

I've got a friend who's done OC a couple of times but has stopped doing it due primarily to comfort issues/feared reactions from others. He'd like to come to the OC dinner, but it would need to be Sunday. How does this work for everyone, and are there any suggestions as to where we should go?

Sahib0120

I've got a friend who's done OC a couple of times but has stopped doing it due primarily to comfort issues/feared reactions from others. He'd like to come to the OC dinner, but it would need to be Sunday. How does this work for everyone, and are there any suggestions as to where we should go?

I'll have to wait and see about Sunday. Not sure yet if I'll be working on that day or not. If I am though, and we meet during the evening time, I'll try to make it where I can get off early.

sultan62

How about 6:00 or 7:00? I would prefer later as well. And all I'm really thinking at this point is to meet for dinner somewhere, get to know each other a little, maybe plan something more after this.

s000161719

I live around the Asheville and am definatley up for a meet/dinner or something like that. Just have to make the time and place "official" so I don't look like a moron

WNCTarheel

When you say "next weekend", you mean the weekend of the 21st? If so, I'd like to be at any meeting.

I am going to be in Asheville next weekend. If there is interest in getting a small OC dinner together please let me know so I can make time in my schedule. I'd love to meet some OC folks from "out west"...

Last edited: